Fissurectomy and Botox... just completed!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy and Botox... just completed!

Postby trieditall » 01 Jul 2013, 15:38

Hello,
I've posted several times... chronic fissure with lots of scar tissue and tag... and pain of course! I am 25 year old female very active (pre-fissure). Like most, it has greatly disrupted my life, making even going to work difficult on bad days. I work in a school, so I opted to have surgery this summer while I am off from work anyway. I had a fissurectomy and botox injection this morning at 9 am. So far so good... I have absolutely no pain, which I realize is because I am still quite numb. My doctor had me have the surgery at this one hospital that has a numbing agent that lasts up to three days. Here's hoping because I looked down there and it so so swollen and my goodness it is black and blue. I can see he removed the tag and much of the scar tissue. It looks raw, but not as bad as I envisioned honestly. The one thing I realized though... they didn't give me any pain med... said to take ibuprofen as needed. That seems a bit weak so I called the doctor's office and they said, "oh... he ALWAYS gives pain meds for this type of surgery..." So he can't be reached because he's in surgery all day... but I have no pain meds on hand. My understanding is you want to stay ahead of this kind of pain so I'm scared. I'm good for now because I'm numb, but I can see this is a painful recovery just by looking! Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm also just wondering if anyone is out there who recovered from this surgery... I know many people on here get LIS, which I did not have.
I'll keep you posted on recovery! I'm blessed to have weeks to recovery without worrying about work, but I will say... I don't look forward to spending my entire summer on the couch... I can deal with significant pain.. just don't want it to last like 3 months. And of course... I just want it to heal! I am so happy to have this forum for the recovery period!!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Fissurectomy and Botox... just completed!

Postby trieditall » 01 Jul 2013, 16:34

Ok.. confirmed from doctor... he purposefully did not prescribe me meds because he wants me to try to get through it without the negative side effect of constipation. I'm a bit nervous about this, but he also said I'll be numb for 2-3 days through the "worst of it."
trieditall
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 01 Jul 2013, 17:22

Welcome "twin". I guess we 're in the same boat, I'm just 16 days ahead. Double fissurectomy, skin tag removal & Botox. I was told to take paracetamol & ibuprofen but not given anything either.
I had 4 days of absolutely no pain whatsoever which was amazing. But I'm going to have to admit, my first BM was the least pleasant of any. This is why you need need need to take stool softeners. I can't stress this enough.
You can read my thread which will take you step by step through my last couple of weeks. I've not seen many people on here with the same procedure as me, but I found this forum an absolute godsend.
Read through as much of my thread as you can and feel free to ask me anything, I'd be happy to help.
http://anal-fissure.org/t6886-sharing-my-double-fissurectomy-botox
Sleep much as you can the first day. Lot lot lots of water. Stool softeners. It unlikely you'll go to the loo until 3-4 days but you need to keep it soft. You'll need to get your hands on some Movicol/Miralax, so order some online or get from your Doctors. It's a god send for your coming weeks.
Take care and remember you're not alone.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby trieditall » 01 Jul 2013, 18:36

Great! Thank you!! I am already taking miralax.. have been for several months. keeping up with water and stool softeners as well.. thanks for the tips and i'll definitely read your topic.. will be interested to see similarities/differences with same procedure! 16 days out how would you say you're feeling now? are you able to do normal day things?
trieditall
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 02 Jul 2013, 02:09

I'm feeling positive now. Just feeling the Botox is working finally. I'm sticking to a routine closely. If I'm going to have any chance to heal, it'll all be up to the way I live. Fluids, diet and movicol with the support of Diltiazam.
I'm taking things slowly. Walking down stairs and getting in and out of the car. I used to enjoy running but won't be doing that for a while. I'm not getting much exercise, but that's ok as I'm eating very healthily at the moment so it's balancing.
Baby steps. I'm just trying to keep the routines going for a couple of months. After 4 years, I've finally found a way of living, soft BMs is the key.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby trieditall » 02 Jul 2013, 10:07

Well we are having some differences already! I'm on day 2 now and already in pain.. the numbness is GONE. I was able to sleep 12 hours last night so that's great, but today the swelling is way down, but the numbness is also way down. I am about to have my first bm... I fear that I feel it coming on. trying to stay calm but was hoping to still be numb for the first bm. I'll just jump right in the tub after I guess. I too am a runner and will miss not being able to do that (or anything) for some time! Walking hurts so I'm guessing running is a ways away!
Thanks for your responses... so glad to have someone who is going through the same thing.. just a bit farther along! good luck to you!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 02 Jul 2013, 10:52

Tried,
I know it's difficult, but your first BM is going to be tough, don't hold it in, just remember, you've probably been through that pain before the surgery, it's very similar, don't worry because it gets easier after the first one. Get some paracetamol and ibuprofen in you, I found that a hot water bottle after a sitz bath was soothing, if you get a "booted up the bum" feeling afterwards then an ice pack takes the edge off.
Ideally you should keep the area warm from a sitz as this encourages blood flow, but if the pain is too much, the ice pack worked for me.
If you haven't been for a few days, it's likely you'll get the "plug effect" which is a small BM that takes ages to come out and then that loosens the area for the rest. Just relax and try to use your sphincter muscles to ease it out but don't push too hard (I'm sure you've figured ways to get it out without maximum damage by now).
I promise you after this it'll get easier, your 2nd BM, if really soft, will probably sting the incision area and you'll be a bit sore for a few hours, the next will be very similar, but then it's plain sailing so long as your miralax kicks in and it'll just fall out without much effort.
I'm missing running so much but I know it's only a matter of time before I'll be healed, it's a short time to give up in the grand scheme of things. 2 months of healing time for years of no fissure makes sense to me.
Stay off your feet after a BM, I found gravity was pulling every thing down and the pressure eases when I was lying down. MIRALAX, soft foods and fluids.
Take care of yourself trieditall and let me know how you get on.
Chin up,
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby trieditall » 03 Jul 2013, 13:55

Day 3... feeling better each day I think. Pretty sore with spasms and pressure today after BM... still trying to make sure I have the right amount of laxatives/stool softeners so that I'm not overdoing it. Sitting on a heating pad helps a lot, as well as sitting in the tub. Hurts less to walk today than yesterday. Overall, I am not in nearly as much pain as I anticipated and am wishing I'd done this months sooner. Mostly, still hoping for a full recovery and return to normal life.
trieditall
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 03 Jul 2013, 14:26

Hey tried, that's great news! I'm currently on 3 stool softeners a day at meal times with lots of soft foods, chewed well and lots of water.
Your spasms should reduce by the day as the Botox kicks in, mine took about 2 weeks. Try not to push when going to the loo, it's a bit tempting to because you'll be at bursting point, but try not to, it'll help rescue the spasms.
Great news that the pain is reducing though and the heat pad is a great idea.
Take care
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby owmybum » 04 Jul 2013, 03:50

Hi tried,
I had Botox almost three weeks ago. It took the full two weeks for me to feel like it had kicked in.
Get lots of rest and take it easy!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !