Fissurectomy and Botox... just completed!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fissurectomy and Botox... just completed!

Postby trieditall » 05 Jul 2013, 08:46

Having a bit of a rough time today. I feel great when I wake up in the morning. I feel like normal almost. But I am having such sharp pains after a BM and severe spasms and I was not having this much pain before the surgery so I'm feeling discouraged. I know it's early (this is day 5), but the pain post BM is worse today than any day so far. Bath helps, but it's just really really bad.... like can't stand up straight bad. It goes away after like 2-3 hours. I know botox hasn't kicked in yet so hopefully that helps when it does. Do you guys think this is normal? I don't have a post-op appt until 4 weeks after procedure. I'm wondering if that's because he thinks it will be healed or almost healed then.
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 05 Jul 2013, 14:36

Hey tried, day 5 is still early days. It'll start getting easier from now, my Botox kicked in after about 2 weeks, it literally relaxes the upper muscles (for me) and the only pain I'm getting is when the stool passes the fissures.
I don't get that razor blade pain anymore and my pain is around 3/10 at the moment, compared to 9/10 on my day 5.
Don't get discouraged, it'll be a long road but staying positive helps and once you start to see a recovery, it'll start to get better.
Stick to the baths and eventually for me, I didn't need them, the pain post BM was minimal after day 13-14.
Get yourself a pain monitor app and keep track of it all. My next appointment in 3 months post-op which is quite late but the waiting lists in Wales are ridiculous. I guess I've got 3 months to make sure I do everything I can to help heal. If not then its back to Botox I guess.
Chin up,
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby trieditall » 11 Jul 2013, 09:54

Day 11: I'm doing great! I can see the site very well (it was a very external fissure) and I can actually see it healing! I really think it's going to heal completely once and for all! The botox has not kicked in yet, so I am still having spasms immediately following BM, but they are lessening each day in both severity and length. They quickly subside after sitting in a hot bath. I'm able to do all normal day activities. I'm still a little unsure about when I want to start to exercise again. My surgeon didn't want to see me for a month post-op and I kind of want his say so about exercise, but I don't really want to wait a whole month. I think I might start with walking and just do what I can. I'm so excited about the prospect of being fissure free so I don't want to mess anything up by rushing the recovery. Fissurectomy has been so much more bearable than I ever imagined. I work in the school system and waited all year until the summer to have it done bc I thought it would be so awful... now I'm wishing I'd just done it when I needed it back in December! Oh well!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 11 Jul 2013, 16:19

That's brilliant news! But remember you're still early days, I've had some ups and downs. Finally feeling the Botox and its relaxed it all down there, I get no razor blade pain just a slight uncomfortable feeling of the stool passing the fissures.
I'm 27 days post op and had 4 days with no pain. My stools are like toothpaste which is heaven every time. Try to get yours the same and don't push too much, it'll all fall out with a gently push from your stomach muscles.
I'd go for short gentle walks for a couple weeks, with your fissure being external, it could get aggravated very easily and you don't want that right now, especially in this heat (can you believe it?!). Be careful with how confident you feel with your mobility. Just squatting down might do some damage that will put you back a couple of weeks.
Take it easy and let us know your progress!
Good work!!
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4