Scared of LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scared of LIS

Postby meinname » 05 Aug 2013, 01:03

Hi, how is everyone doing.
I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with a posterior anal fissure 'round March of this year (2013) due to bleeding during bowel movements.
Funny thing is I've not had any pain whatsoever, it was the blood that made me go see a proctologist. When I had bled before I thought it was haemorrhoids.
Unfortunately it was an anal fissure and my proctoligst started me on sitz baths and cream for 3 weeks. This did nothing because when I went to the next check up fissure was still there.
He double the cream usage and told me to go back in another 3 weeks.
That also didn't work out because the fissure was still there, ever present with no signs of beginning to scar.
He then gave me dilitiazem, the cream I was previously using and sitz baths for 6 weeks.
I had not felt a single thing until that moment when it started off as a mild itch, which then evolved to an annoying itch which then evolved into an itch which made me want to scratch my skin until I ripped it off.
And then to top it off I noticed I was staining my underwear with something that looked like blood.
Turns out I had an allergic reaction to dilitiazem and had to suspend it immediately.
Now I either have to find nitroglycerin (which is not available in my country), undergo the surgical procedure or leave the anal fissure be (since it never hurts and it bleeds very rarely).
Of course I want to the anal fissure to heal so I'm trying to find the nitro but I have a terrible hunch it won't work.
As for the surgery, well I'm terrified of it.
It worries me that there might be some side effects and it scares me to think that I'd not be able to finish studying uni because of it.
My second proctologist (switched because I wasn't too happy with the first) told me that due to my age and being a man I'd be less at risk developing anal incontinence.
But I dunno, I'm a bit disappointed at how my body has not reacted to treatment.
On the other hand I'm going crazy because I can't exercise properly and that is also depressing (which doesn't help with healing).
Sorry for the long text, I felt like I had to vent.
meinname

Topics: 1

Re: Scared of LIS

Postby meinname » 05 Aug 2013, 01:14

Also, are there users with more than 5 years post op ?
I really am worried about the long term effects.
meinname

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 05 Aug 2013, 04:11

Hi meinname,
I'm so sorry your suffering with this awful condition. Firstly venting is good gets it off your chest :).
Secondly I can't see how LIS could help you as you are not in spasm am I right you said you've no pain only blood? LIS relaxes the muscle so you can have easier bowel movement given the fissure a chance to heal!!
I think you need another opinion go see a CRS.
I'm 7 wks post LIS no side effects yet :)
I also think you can buy the nitro on the Internet you need 0.2%. Have you tried sitz baths they promote blood flow to area too & keep area dry if possible. Are you constipated?
Do you take stool softeners?
I hope you get some answers there's lots information on this site to help you through this. Take care 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 05 Aug 2013, 18:10

Hello Meinname. We are basically in the same situation. I've had a fissure since January, went to the C.R.S. and was put on Nifedipine ointment. Before starting the ointment I had stinging pain during bowel movements, but since being on the ointment the pain is gone. I now have no pain during bowel movements, though I do have blood about once or twice a week. The C.R.S. recommended LIS and Fissurectomy. He says that since the fissure hasn't healed after six months that it's chronic and unlikely to heal. I have other health issues that make me terrified of the LIS and then a fissurectomy with it. I have chronic pelvic pain syndrome which, according to my urologist makes me a prime candidate for urinary retention after the surgery. I also have irritable bowel, which causes me to have as many as six bowel movements per day. I can't see how rectal surgery can heal or not get infected with this many bowel movements per day. I tried meds, cut back on fiber and still lots of bowel movements. What I keep thinking is that I'm risking making the pelvic pain worse, plus risking infection and possibly delayed healing at the surgical site by having a surgery done when I'm not in serious pain. Mainly just alittle discomfort and bleeding now and then. I don't get a lot of time off from work and I'm worried that if I don't heal completely in ten days that I'll end up losing my job. I'm going to ask about seeing a different C.R.S. but I'm sure that I'll hear that surgery is the only solution. As for incontinence, I've read that it can happen but the chances are low and usually temporary. Mainly gas, not stool. I'm sorry that you're having a hard time, I hope that you can find someone to give you some answers. I know how you feel. Good luck.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Topics: 3