Where to apply the Diltiazem

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Where to apply the Diltiazem

Postby Karinann » 11 Aug 2013, 15:24

When I received my first prescription for the Diltiazem/Lidocaine cream, the instructions said to apply to the perianal area. I did a bit of lookup and found that perianal means the area around the anal opening. Is that correct from most folks understanding? I'm wondering if I should be applying a bit of the cream inside of the anal opening at all? A few times when I was applying the cream a bit of it apparently hit an open sore or something and I felt a burning sensation for a bit. Is anyone applying or has been told to apply using a Q tip or cotton swab internally at all. Curious minds want to know. Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Where to apply the Diltiazem

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 11 Aug 2013, 15:56

Hi K,
When I had the Lidocaine (anaesthetic) it came with a pointy spout that you insert into the anus and squeeze about 3cm in.
I was then prescribed Diltiazem which I was advised to place around the opening of the anus - I just used my finger. I wasn't advised any other way so carried on that way. If you get some inside and it stings/burns at the site of the fissure then maybe it's not a good idea. The Diltiazem is a channel blocker which relaxes the muscle. So there's no need to place it directly on the fissure.
Hope that helps.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Re: Where to apply the Diltiazem

Postby Karinann » 11 Aug 2013, 17:08

Thank you Welsh, yes that makes sense to me. I remember asking my CRS about this but don't remember what she said. I think it was during my two week follow up from surgery and I was still in outer space with the pain meds I was taking. Much better now, and these little things that make so much difference keep slipping my mind. Cheers, Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9