It's Back

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

It's Back

Postby deepfissure » 22 Aug 2013, 08:36

Hi fellow sufferers,
I last came onto this site in March 2012 when I had my first experience of AF; such a delight! The descriptions of someone pulling barbed wire out of my jacksey says it all! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I realised after visiting this great forum I had a battle on my hands so made so many changes to my diet to keep things soft. I went to a bum consultant, who looking back was quite useless! I eventually healed after around 8 weeks after diet control and using nitro cream and I asked the bum consultant will I always be susceptible to AF in the future. He shrugged it off and said when you get a cut, it heals, it scars and the scar tissue becomes stronger so no. It kinda made sense, but I didn't really like him, so decided to continue with a good diet ever since. The single most worst "illness" I have ever had! I have flaxseed every day, I eat good foods, Quinoi, cous cous, wholegrain rice etc. I told myself I would be "safe" with food until Xmas 2012 at which point my AF should be well and truly out of the picture! I do indulge every now and then since it calmed as I enjoy food and haven't any issues since.
Anyway, around 2 weeks ago, I had a BM, not particularly hard that I can recall, but it resulted in a slight spotting on the paper (very slight, but I felt that sensation once again). My heart sank! Is this damn thing back? The first week after this movement wasn't so bad, yes I could "feel" the BM more, but absolutely nothing like last year. Then these last 3 days, it seems to be getting worse. The razor blade feeling is coming back a little more when passing, but I have not had blood since that first event (I saw that as a good sign?). The last 3 days I have also had the lingering burning for a few hours after. Today, it feels quite sore, like it's trying to tell me "hey, you have a big wound down there!".
I've quickly reverted back to AF eating mode, so fruit, veg, flaxseed, extra all bran, prune juice etc. I really thought I had seen the end of this thing!
So, my question, as this seems to be my first relapse. Would it be the same AF opening up again? Was the bum consultant talking rubbish about it being stronger once healed. Is it a new one, I am just built this was to be susceptible to them? I have to admit, it is not causing me as much grief as last year and is bearable for now. I haven't bothered to go to the docs to get more nitro cream, or is this a mistake? I don't seem to have spasms as many folks have on here. My aim now is to keep it soft, relax on the loo and let it work itself better. Are there any "relapsers" out there who have advice for this? So, I'm trying to deal with this myself - is this the right strategy?
So annoying, I am a keen triathlete (even did an event on Sunday, didn't really affect me too much at that point) and don't like the thought of not being able to train. I'm due a long bike ride tomorrow, but not sure if I should to "rest" the butt area.
I love all the stories on here, makes me feel I'm not alone. I am resigned to the fact I need at least another 6 weeks before I heal, then will have to "play safe" for months after to fully heal. My difficulty will be not training.
Thanks for listening...Image
deepfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: It's Back

Postby Guest » 22 Aug 2013, 10:26

Hi deepfissure, welcome, U wondered;
Would it be the same AF opening up again? Was the bum consultant talking rubbish about it being stronger once healed. Is it a new one, I am just built this was to be susceptible to them? I have to admit, it is not causing me as much grief as last year and is bearable for now.
It could well be the same opening although it does not have to be. I went through two decades of recurrings and re-tears and its really hard to tell but I'm sure some of them were retears and some were brand new tears.
You say about two weeks ago you had a not so hard bm that caused bleeding. Now was this bm a little harder to push out, as the extra straining sure can aggravate and help a fissure "grow"; even with a soft bm some people push too hard. (Its like blowing up a balloon, the harder we push the more likely piles and hemorrhoids will sprout, and if we keep pushing, the balloon will burst-aka a fissure.)
Yes once you get one other are more likely to happen and three or more relapses will quickly tell you that hey, I've got to make some life changing decisions.
As you suggested, my fissures did not go away until I truly kept my stools soft for an extended period (my last fissure almost 3 years ago now). The strength of the anus is I think not so much on the scar tissue healing over but on what we put in our mouths to give the skin the strength it needs.
I'v found that even the smallest of fissures can produce the constant burning for several hours, so do not be to alarmed thinking your fissure must be huge.
Yes, I think that some people are more susceptible to fissures as both my mom an pops had anus issues. Also from what your describing I too had pretty smallish type fissures sometimes and I did not let that stop me from being a weekend warrior and staying very active.
But as a triathlete I would perhaps try to avoid any training that tends to have me doing dead-weight lifts or the like where your doing the pushing and straining like things to your buttocks area muscles.
Looks like you should perhaps forego the Nitro for a time since your saying that your not really spasming.
You know what, I might even go ahead and take that bike ride as you don't seem to be in too much discomfort or pain and that you just completed another event without too much complications.
Indulging every now and then can sure get us in trouble and I think those days will really have to be scaled back now that you know "someones knocking at your back door" if you know what I mean.
So, keep those stools soft, stop the straining on the loo, and you may be well on your way back to normal again.
GL to you and hope this helps....

Postby deepfissure » 22 Aug 2013, 15:18

Great feedback Buttastic;
I don't really remember a strain or a hard BM those 2 weeks ago. Ever since the first AF, EVERY time I go to the loo I always remember the pain and consciously think not to push or strain. Perhaps a lapse due to complainancy of not having one for over a year! Goes to show, the slightest strain can cause a re tear!
Yes, I agree a lifestyle change is needed. I do pretty well normally but I MUST have the odd donut here and burger there otherwise I'd go mad! When I do have these foods, I try to compensate with additional fibre or fruit to counter the "badness". Had worked pretty well till now!
Anyway, I think you're right, I'll stay off the nitro, keep it soft, back to the trusty regimen for the next few weeks and see how we go. I'll also try to keep the training as normal and see what happens!
Wish me luck!
deepfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 23 Aug 2013, 09:14

Good luck deepfissure;
Not only on your healing but any upcoming events; that you "place" well and heck, even that you win.
Yeah, having that donut or burger every now and again seems harmless enough. But I found in my case it was those very floury salty foods that seemed to weaken my bottom. (so you can be a detective and try to figure if anything in your diet is the culprit)
I would feel a discomfort "down there" coming on even before the fissure set in so
I knew I had to pretty much let some foods go.
Sub type sandwiches was one of those foods I use to love but the last time I had one of those was, you guessed it, about three years ago. I can almost guarantee you that If I would start regularly eating those again the way I use to,
it would not be long before I'd get another fissure.
That's why I say life changes Deepfissure, cause it may be that part of your "trusty regimen" for the next few weeks should become part of your regimen for life.
So we'll keep our fingers crossed that as this last bout with your fissure is over that you will not experience anymore relapses in the near or far away future.
GL

Postby deepfissure » 23 Aug 2013, 09:46

Hey Buttastic,
Wise words; I was thinking on my way into the office this morning in the car, whilst wriggling around (driving seems to be the most uncomfortable position for me) that once I heal from this bout, I'll stick to a regimen that works, when I go on holiday I'll start to take stool softeners the week before (it's always on holiday you have those "naughty" foods) and attempt to pre empt any bouts.
My BM this morning was certainly "felt" at 0630 hours, with a nice strong burning afterwards but I still jumped on the bike and was surprised that it didn't adversely affect me! I reckon on a bike, you sit on you "sit" bone, so not in that awful painful area. I'd even go so far to say it helped, by producing a blood flow to the area which we all know aids healing.
I bought some wound honey today; I heard some good things about this on other threads so thought if I'm going down the natural route, why not try. I even bought some flaxseed capsules; I usually take flaxseed every morning with breakfast but someone commented (which makes sense) the "bits" in flaxseed could get "caught" in the fissure and aggravate it. So, while I have a wound, I may revert to the capsules instead! We certainly learn a lot from this forum! I'll post on here how I get on with the wound honey, I'm a bit worried about how messy it's going to be.
Anyway, I'm off to blend a fruit smoothie and have a glass of prune juice. Rock n roll baby, rock n roll...
deepfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 23 Aug 2013, 10:20

Ahh yes
That wriggling around on the car seat to try to find the sweet spot of comfort. That was X 10 for me cause I drive for a living.
Yeah as you say biking sure seems friendlier on our fissures than regular sitting, as your kinda like messaging the area on a bike huh, I dunno.
Yes, many people go the ground-up flaxseed route just to be safe.
Good luck on the honey, hope it works for you.
Take care....

Postby Guest » 23 Aug 2013, 10:21

Ahh yes
That wriggling around on the car seat to try to find the sweet spot of comfort. That was X 10 for me cause I drive for a living.
Yeah as you say biking sure seems friendlier on our fissures than regular sitting, as your kinda like messaging the area on a bike huh, I dunno.
Yes, many people go with the grounded up flaxseed route just to be safe.
Good luck on the honey, hope it works for you.

Postby CreativeMuse » 18 Sep 2013, 22:59

deepfissure - How has the healing been going? Did you notice any improvement using the honey?
CreativeMuse
Fibre Addict