A couple questions for those who have had surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

A couple questions for those who have had surgery

Postby Luka » 24 Aug 2013, 12:54

Surgery is still something I’m considering, although I won’t know for sure until I see a CRS next month. I just have a couple of questions for those of you who have had surgery (either LIS with or without fissurectomy or Botox):
1. Did you need to get an enema before surgery? It seems like the pre-op differs among surgeons and some need to take an enema before surgery while others don’t.
2. Did you have trouble urinating after surgery and, if you did, did you need a catheter? I keep reading about people having trouble with this after surgery. Getting a catheter really freaks me out.
Honestly, the more I read about the surgery, the more it scares me. : ( I know it helps so many people, but it’s the whole process and recovery I fear. Despite all this, I will still consider it, depending on what my CRS says.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: A couple questions for those who have had surgery

Postby dcc » 24 Aug 2013, 14:22

Had LIS yesterday and I can't believe how good I'm feeling now. Yesterday I had a little trouble urinating, but I just stood there in front the toilet and little at a time would come. By the end of the day it was back to normal. had to do an enema the night before, surgery was very early the next morning.
dcc
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby resume » 24 Aug 2013, 18:09

Hey Luka. I had LIS with a fissurectomy on two fissures and I had an enema right before the surgery. I honestly don't think I did it right because I didn't have much of a bm after I did it.
I had no problem with urination after. I had no liquids for about 18 hours and right before the surgery I had an IV that provided me with fluid..finally. (I was so thirsty!) About two hours after surgery I had to pee so bad! And everything worked just like normal. I had no problems urinating.
Luka I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I was terrified! I was in tears right before I went into surgery. I know how stressful it is. It didn't matter what anyone said. But it does get better. I know I would not have healed without the surgery. I am so thankful for deciding to go through with it. Just try to keep an open mind when you go in to talk to your CRS. I hate that you are still suffering. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do! Image
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Luka » 26 Aug 2013, 13:27

Thank you dcc and resume for answering my questions. I've just heard some horror stories on here about people having trouble peeing after surgery and then needing a catheter. That really scares me. The enema also freaks me out, since I've never had to do one before and the thought of doing that with a fissure freaks me out even more. I just thought you just ate very little before the surgery (if anything at all) for a few days and then didn't have to do the enema. I guess it's something I will need to discuss with the surgeon if I need the surgery.
If anyone else can answer my questions about your surgery experience, I'd really appreciate it. : ) I'm just trying to mentally prepare for it if I need it.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby jr2 » 26 Aug 2013, 13:50

Hi Luka,
I haven't had LIS, but I've had four surgeries for other problems. As for the enema prior to surgery this depends entirely on the preference of the surgeon. Some surgeons want patients to perform one, some don't think it's necessary. Honestly, as much as it's hard to think about doing something you've never done before, an enema is probably a good idea, mostly because it will empty the rectum prior to surgery so that after the surgery there will be less in there to have to eliminate right from the start of recovery.
As far as the need for a catheter, that is entirely dependent on how your body responds both to the anesthesia and the wound itself. Of my four surgeries I had urinary retention in one (inability to urinate). Like you I was very anxious about the idea of a catheter, having never had one before. I can tell you that the anxiety is far far worse than the experience of the catheter. In fact, at the point I had it done I was grateful for it because my bladder was so distended the pain from that had become excruciating. It's really nothing more than a little pinch, and as soon as the urine starts making its way out you feel so much relief you don't even feel the catheter at all. I was so grateful for it, in fact, that when my bladder filled up again and I couldn't pee again I asked the nurse for the catheter. She didn't need to do any convincing the second time. After that all was fine.
Just find a good surgeon, compassionate and patient, and be really open about your fears. Anti-anxiety medications can really help a lot for a surgical experience.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 26 Aug 2013, 17:29

Thanks, jr2. The thought of getting an enema and/or a catheter terrifies me, but I guess I just have to learn to deal with it. I know a lot of people have to get them at some point in their lives.
I will definitely be taking anti-anxiety medication before, during, and after surgery, if I need the surgery. I'm so afraid I'll have a panic attack in the operating room. I hate not being in control and get very, very claustrophobic. I guess I just need to make sure the surgeon and nurses know that and can give me something to knock me out. I just have so much trouble controlling my anxiety.
Luka
VIP

Postby suzyljank » 26 Aug 2013, 18:07

Hi Luka. When I had LIS I had no prep at all. Just no food or water after midnight. I had no problem urinating after the surgery. I had double advancement flap surgery a few months ago and I had to completely clean out and after surgery I had a catheter but I was in the hospital for a few days too. After it came out I had no trouble doing either, for me the clean up was the painful part. I didn't get an enema because my scar tissue was so bad there was no way I could get it in. Let your doctor know how panicky you get. I was terrified but whatever they put in my iv was great. I didn't do a general either, I did a spinal. I chose that because it kept the area numb longer and you wake up faster and are less likely to get constipated. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby jr2 » 26 Aug 2013, 19:42

Luka,
As long as you're just really open about the struggles you have with anxiety (especially with the nurses and the anesthesiologist), you'll do fine. Before surgeries an anesthesiologist comes in to the room where you wait to talk to you and once all your forms are signed and all the checks and double checks have been done with you he/she will give you an IV medicine that makes you very relaxed and sleepy. Depending on how much they give you and how sensitive you are to it you might not even be awake when you get to the operating room. If you are awake, though, you might not even remember the operating room. I only remember the operating room from one of my surgeries, and even then by the time I was wheeled in there I was pretty much blotto.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 28 Aug 2013, 14:15

Thank you suzyljank and jr2 for the responses. I will try not to fret about it too much. First I need to actually talk to the CRS about what to do next, which will be next month. I don't even know if I'll need surgery or not yet, so I guess I'd better not jump the gun and stress myself out even more.
Luka
VIP

Postby maddyl9304 » 05 Nov 2013, 12:08

I had LIS surgery and a polyp removed and I am currently 12 days post op. I was in pain after surgery but mostly slept the entire day. I went back to work the next day but only worked 3 hours as the swelling made me uncomfortable, 2 days after surgery I was back at work full time and have been since. My first BM i had no pain or burning, which was shocking. I still do sitz baths twice a day and have a little discharge from the area. I do have stitches that seem to be starting to come out but don't want to touch them until the doctor looks at me. I've heard people cutting out their stitches but i had no idea I even had them since my doctor did not tell me. It was the best surgery if you are suffering from anal fissures I am so happy with my results. I do use witch hazel wipes after BMs and sometimes throughout the day or if I have a long work day but sometimes they start irritating my skin which I think is because there maybe alcohol in them. I am still a little uncomfortable down there but usually only at work because my work pants are tighter then sweat pants and I am on my feet for 9 hours straight. I called the Dr. to make my post op appointment but he said to come this upcoming monday which I thought was weird because I'm almost 2wks post op. I did use oxycodone the first day every four hours and then one twice throughout the night because I was feeling sore. I still use Ice packs to help with pain or a heating pad and just take aleve. I take miralex twice a day and 3 metamucil pills everyday to keep my stools regular and not too hard. My dr said I would be back at work 24-48hrs after surgery obviously I didn't believe him but he was right, I think I went back to work the day after surgery because I was so sick of sitting at home in pain and needed to get out. On my days off I try to take it easy and rest as much as I can. I do use neosporin around the area because it has started to become itchy, I don't know if thats a sign of healing or over use of witch hazel wipes, my CRS didn't really say. All of the other OTC ointments failed on me prior to surgery and made things even worse. I saw the CRS on thursday and he said get the surgery the following day and I was at the point where I just wanted to get it done and over with and praying it would work. I think the worst part for me was reading online some of the horror stories from this surgery the night before and actually just trying to prepare myself for surgery. I try googling signs of healing or symptoms of infections but never can find anything online so if anyone has any information regarding healing or infection signs that would be great to know. I can sit normally again sometimes its a little uncomfortable driving since i have a stick shift and I'm always moving around my feet and have to readjust the way I sit. Hopefully everyone has a smooth recovery like I did, it was the best decision I have ever made and I have a low tolerance for pain.
maddyl9304

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?