What cream/ointment actually WORKS??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What cream/ointment actually WORKS??

Postby jpg2502 » 25 Aug 2013, 14:31

Hi new here, and so glad i discovered this forum!
I have a tear just above my anus, and a couple of very small tears around the anus, lucky they are not inside it and are far away enough for me to manage bowel movements without excruciating pain (though it is still uncomfortable)
i am using GTN cream prescribed by the surgeon at the hospital, and im not going back to see him till october - im terrified of surgery and hoping he can do something where i dont have to be put to 'sleep'.
is there anything out there which helps relieve symptoms of anal fissure and helps to heal it?
i have tried a couple of those hemorrhoid creams but they just seem to irritate the area.

jpg2502

Topics: 2

Re: What cream/ointment actually WORKS??

Postby Darkeyes » 25 Aug 2013, 14:43

Sorry about your pain jpg2502! The best creams seem to be nifedipine, diltiazem, and nitro (I think also called Gtn). That GTN will help but it takes awhile for it to kick in, about ten days. After that for some people the healing process take about six weeks and for others, like me, it takes months. I hope that your healing goes quickly.
Darkeyes
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: What cream/ointment actually WORKS??

Postby jochristy » 26 Aug 2013, 02:38

GTN works very well and you can also try sitz bath: sitting in the warm water for 20 minutes 2 – 3 times a day. Once check your diet. You have to include more fiber in your diet as well as using the laxatives. You should have at least 18grams of fiber per day.
To avoid pain or irritation after passing the bowel, you can use baby wipes. Use soft brand and avoid rubbing hard over the area.
0.2% nitroglycerin cream can reduce the pressure in the internal anal muscle (sphincter) and allows fissure to heal. A pea sized dot of cream should be massaged gently into the fissure and the surrounding area. This cream can cause side effects like headache, low BP etc.  it is advised to wear either gloves or wash hands soon after applying. Read more about the anal fissure treatment
Hope you recover soon and best wishes from my end :) :)
Referral Source :
webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/anal-fissure-treatment-overview
jochristy