Another newbie, but I'm healing fast!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Another newbie, but I'm healing fast!

Postby janiep » 04 Sep 2013, 10:59

Hello! I'm SO glad I found everyone here. Like everyone else I feel like its hard to talk to people about this, so it's nice to be amongst new friends.
Basically I got mine after a vacation. I drank a lot, ate tons of meat, bread and chocolate. I don't ever do this, as I'm normally on a low carb, high protein diet. I'm very active, running, weightlifting, etc. So my general health was never the issue. Straying from worked for me caused it I'm sure.
Long story short, had the most horrific bms, for about 3 days in a row. I seriously thought I might pass out. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but this just took pain to a whole other level. I cried, I swore, you name it. Then for 8 or so hours after I would be in horrible pain (I know now this was spasms). Anyway, thought it was a hem, treated it that way, and no results. Finally sucked it up and went to the Dr, was told I had a tear (after the most painful "inspection") and was prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories and more fiber. It was humiliating, but the pain of it was so bad I didn't care anymore. I would have given my last penny to just make the pain stop. I came home and googled everything I could about this horrible condition and that when I found this site!
I realized pretty quickly from reading here that most Family Doctors don't know much about this, clearly I was prescribed the wrong thing. But after scouring these boards for hours I came up with my own plan of attack. Its 3 weeks later and I'm essentially pain free. BUT I do live in fear of a retear. I've read too many stories here of people at my point that have setbacks. So, I'm following my regiment for several months if I can. Here's what I did:
-I went ahead and did the hydrocortisone suppositories at night. 10 days worth. I had such horrible inflammation, I figured it couldnt hurt
-I use vaseline around and in (i use a q-tip) before EVERY bm. I still do this.
-When it was real bad I bought a small syringe in the baby section of the drugstore and after lubing up with vaseline, would "inject" extra virgin olive oil in there BEFORE AND AFTER a bm as well. I no longer do this because the next 2 things changed it all for me:
-Kondremul. A mineral oil taken before bed. Took me a few days to get the dosage right. I'm 123 lbs and 1 tbs works for me. Makes my movements nice and soft and they just ease out now. That plus...
-Squatting on the toilet. This changed my miserable little life, haha. I absolutely HATE doing it. HATE it. But ever since the first time I tried it I had no pain with bm. None. I'm able to squat on the actual seat at my home, but I dread the day I have to "go" somewhere out. Believe me when I tell you guys this, it totally sucks doing it but the change in position seriously makes it pain free. I still squat and will for months just to make sure.
-Hot water bottle. The only thing I found to help with spasms. Sat on it all day, for about a week. I don't need it anymore.
-Rinsing off after bms. I have a detachable showerhead that makes this easy. I cleanse with cetaphil then apply:
-witch hazel. Applied after rinsing and showering. I still do this.
-I bought off of Amazon a bottle called Fissure Control. It works. Enough said. I put it on after the witch hazel and it felt better in like 2 days after I started using it. I still use it and will for a long time to be sure.
So, this is my life now. Fear of a retear every morning. Getting up early to do all these steps. Hiding all my supplies if guests come over. It sucks. It really does. I took 2 weeks off exercise, but am now back full speed with no issues. I honestly think its helped with the healing. Trying to be positive helped too. There were several days when I couldnt leave the house. But when I finally did I became less depressed and felt human again. My boyfriend has been great and understanding. He sorta chuckled when I told him. He has NO idea the pain involved.
I really hope at least one person gets relief from something I mentioned here. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (except for on former boss- he can have one Image. Thank you all for sharing your stories and tips. I'll update with anything else and hopefully not because of a retear. This horrid condition is seriously the most debilitating thing I've ever been through and I was only bad for a week. My heart goes out to those years long sufferers.
Good luck to all of you and thank you!
OH! And I almost forgot- food for thought... On my vacation I had gone hiking. I developed some sort of itchy "rash" on the back of my thighs. I had the dr check that out too. She said it was probably fungal (good grief I was a hot mess with a fissure and a fungus) and prescribed Tinactin. It cleared up within days. BUT my point is I was reading here about those that used Tinactin on their fissures and healed quickly. I haven't tried it but I did have me wondering... is it some how possible that my fungus and fissure were related? Too coincidental that they happened at the same time and Tinactin has been known to cure both. So if I have a retear I'm gonna try it! I'll spot test first as I've read some people are sensitive to it there. It got me thinking that maybe those with the "itchy" fissures may have a fungal infection there as well? Anythings possible I guess in our crazy little fissure world!
janiep
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Another newbie, but I'm healing fast!

Postby janiep » 04 Sep 2013, 11:05

I forgot to mention. TONS of water and metamucil twice a day. I keep my foods soft. Lots of brown rice and eggs. I didn't give up coffee. But did give up alcohol!
janiep
Fibre Addict

Postby Kreaybutt » 04 Sep 2013, 14:43

You are so lucky you found this forum as early as you did. I healed my fissure after a week of pain for two weeks until I had a re-tear. BUT if I had found this forum sooner and my doc had told me to keep up with fiber and water I know I would have saved myself from that re-tear. You sound like your on a good path to a tear free life :) only thing I would suggest to you is not to use the hydrocortisone suppositories anymore, they can thin out your skin making it easier to get a new tear or re-tear. But your fine! Wishing you the best!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Scientist2516 » 04 Sep 2013, 14:51

Another Kondremul fan! Welcome to the forum. I'm not taking Kondremul any more, but it did help me a lot in the worst days.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby owmybum » 04 Sep 2013, 14:54

So glad you found some things that worked for you!!
Is the fissure control any good?? Is it a cream??
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby janiep » 04 Sep 2013, 16:36

Thanks guys! And yeah, I read that about hydrocortisone after it was too late. The Fissure Control is an oil. Its like a blend of essential oils. Smells earthy, but I don't care what it smells like as long as it works! I use it 2-3x a day, and always after a bm. :)
janiep
Fibre Addict

Postby Melmel » 22 Oct 2013, 00:10

I had my op 11 days ago. I still feel pain when I have a BM and have been applying a topical Ana. I feel discomfort and itching when I move but I'm itching to get back to weightlifting. I was training to be a fitness training.. I would hike, lift weights and do high interval training, 6 times a week.

When is it safe to start again?
Some sites say no more than 5 kgs in the first 6 weeks
Other sites say 6 to 9 months...

What is your take on protein shakes and their effects on a healing fissure post LIS
Melmel