Pain Levels

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Pain Levels

Postby England » 23 Sep 2013, 11:43

Hi all, I've visited this forum as a guest and unfortunately due to my persistent (chronic) fissure thought I may as well join up!!!

A teeny bit of background. I had my first bad episode 11 years ago (I'm 39) and that took months to heal. Since then I've had several minor episodes but none compare to the one I've been going thru for the past couple of months.

My question is what are other sufferers pain levels like. After a BM I'm ok for about 30 mins then I'm in agony for about six hours. I know some people say they have to stand or walk as its too painful to sit, mines the other way round I just CANNOT stand or walk - it's excruciating. I have to sit on a firm surface like the carpeted steps or something. And I'm rocking backwards and forwards and in absolute agony.

Whilst I appreciate there are more painful and more serious ailments out there, on a scale of one to 10 I definitely have to put mine at 10.

Would just be interested how u guys cope.

Also I find sitting in a warm bath definitely helps .

One day at a time.....good luck guys :)
England
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Pain Levels

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 23 Sep 2013, 12:58

Darn!!!

Hang on England, we're glad you joined. Sure sounds like the dreaded spasms are starting to creep up "in you". That might explain the excruciating pain some time after your bm and when standing.

That pain level sure can be a 10 and luckily for me my spasm never lasted too long, but the ones I remember produced an 8 or so on the "richter scale".

Actually, this is right up there when it comes to pain levels as I heard many people say that they have never experienced anything more painful, comparing it to a root-canal or childbirth.

Coping? Your friends are like you say that bath and you may want to try sitting on a hot water bottle.
The creams of Diltiazem, Nitroglycerin (Rectogesic) or Nifedipine are also good weapons to stop those spasms.

Along with keeping your stools nice and soft and not straining or pushing too hard, eating a well balanced diet with the right fibers (good mix of soluble and insoluble) and getting plenty of water and exercise you can greatly reduce the episodes of your spasms.

HTelps GL to you...
Deleted User 2950

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Sep 2013, 14:13

Hi England, welcome to the least popular club in the world!
You sound just like me. Fine after a BM until those horrible spasms hit. I don't really know how to do the pain scale, but I was rolling around in bed crying and biting my fingers. So yes, really bad. That stage lasted about 1 month. (but not in pain the whole time. I had terrible nights maybe twice a week).
Like you, I found walking and standing to be the worst. Sitting down was better. Lying on my side was also OK.
I second everything Buttastic says.
Especially the hot water bottle. But keep it warm! Not hot!
This will ease the spasms, relax the anal sphincter and get blood circulating in the area. The nice thing about it is that you can sit on the bottle for hours, whereas you do eventually have to get out of the bath.

So now, three months on, I feel fine. The pain gradually became less. Eventually the spasms stopped and all I had was a bit of soreness. I credit 1) soft BMs, 2) nitroglycerine (but nifedipine and diltiazem are also good to try), and 3) hot water bottle.

All the very best to you.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby ES&H » 23 Sep 2013, 14:48

Ugh! So sorry to hear your in such pain. I'm 4 months into my "episode" and have improved a good deal. I, too, would have a BM w/o pain and within 30 minutes it would start. In the beginning it lasted till I went to bed. It was relentless, showed no mercy and I too diverted pain by pulling my hair, crying, screaming. Standing and walking were out. Sitting was out for me too. My best was horizontal on my stomach or on my right side (my fissure is towards the tailbone on the left).

Buttastic and Scientist gave great ideas! Let me add relaxation. I had to relax my boot-ay! And that's where the baths and hot water bottles come in. I prayed till I couldn't pray anymore. I found meditations on you-tube and did them over and over until I could stay with them long enough for my shoulders to unwrap from around my ears cause the pain was so bad. Until I could concentrate on something other than the pain. It saved me. My pain became directly proportional to how relaxed I was. It didn't take it away but it sure dialed it down. It also helped me emotionally, too. These AF are beasts and it's taking all of me, emotional and spiritual, to heal my physical.

I wish you a quick recovery. I hope it's helpful to know you're not alone.
ES&H
Fibre Addict

Postby RockingSoreBum » 23 Sep 2013, 14:59

My pain was easily the "worst pain i'd ever had" level of pain and sometimes lasted 8-12 hours post poo.

What worked for me was.... Take a decent laxative like Movicol twice a day, lots of water and sitz baths after the toilet. Not wanting to get too descriptive here but you really want your stool to be like very soft ice cream, this helped lessen my spasms massively and within a week my pain was back to a tolerable level (not gone, but it never went back to the "for the love of darwin shoot me now" level of pain that I was going through before).
RockingSoreBum

Topics: 1

Postby England » 23 Sep 2013, 15:02

Thanks guys I'm sitting on hot water bottle as I type!
England
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Sep 2013, 15:12

Hi England,
Just to also step in and echo all the above posts.....It was the same familiar pattern for me too! 30 minutes after every BM (and more noticeably) in the evenings, those spasms would kick in and create that awful raw pain you describe rendering me crying & depressed & pretty much on the sofa for most of the evening.
I'd lie in a bath for a long time, just to take my mind off it a bit and I found lieing on my front and side helpful but I guess it depends on where your fissure is as to the best position you find comfortable.
Painkillers did help take the edge of the worst for me but it's good to take them half an hour or so before your BM to kick in. I was also extremely grateful for Valium because these gave me the odd night of almost complete respite from the pain in between other more painful days! I so looked forward to those Valium evenings!!....
The severe pain lasted for about 6 weeks up until I started using Diltiazem. This was my life saver!! Within a day or two, that intensity of pain had reduced considerably for me and after 7 weeks of use, I was in no way totally healed but in a lot better position that previously. It helped my healing process considerably ( & my fissure had become chronic)
My hardest issue was dealing with the emotional trauma of it all and trying to gain hope that I would get through it and heal (because at my worse, I was deep in a black hole).....AD's helped to pick me up for that temporary spell (and I am now happy to say I no longer need them) but as ES&H posts, meditation & relaxation was also key for me as were positive affirmations....Distraction is also major - If you can try and shift the focus off the pain a little and into something else distracting, it really does help. It's really important at this time, to pull together all the coping mechanisms you can so you can maintain a positive and strong attitude to help you cope with it all.
Please trust us all when we say it does pass, things do get better & the pain intensity does reduce, but you do need to take practical & positive steps to start that process happening. I really would stress you see a CRS (if you're not already) and see if you can obtain one of the Creams to help you start that.
I was also 39 when I started my suffering!!
Hang in there & stay strong! - You will get through this..........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Rachael 1984 » 23 Sep 2013, 15:28

Hi England,
Yes, same for me too. I became almost suicidal with the constant pain... Ads pulled me out of that black hole, and with the help of my favourite toxin Botox. I never ever thought that pain as bad could cause constant misery, but I went there. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there and please remember we are all here for you. I had a lot of massages and Reiki treatment and this definitely helped. Also like ETO said, relaxation is key. It is hard to get there sometimes, but you will find a way. Are you under a CRS?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby England » 23 Sep 2013, 16:29

I am under a CRS. Saw him last week. He prescribed Fybogel which is a powder fibre bulking drink I find that useful to make my BMs easier ... But it still hurts like hell after. Also diltiazem ointment which doesn't do a deal for me although I've only been using it 3 days. Also tried GNT but apart from a good headache it doesn't do anything else for me.

Still sat on hot water bottle though ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys it's much appreciated. I think it's def my diet which was the cause but I've adjusted it considerably. This last flare up was due to a holiday in turkey where I probably didn't get enough fibre down me. Won't make that mistake again.
England
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 Sep 2013, 14:43

Hi England,
Just persevere with the Diltiazem for a while longer - it might take a little longer to kick in for you but you should start noticing a difference in pain levels after a week or so. If the creams really aren't helping, you may be suggested Botox for your next move. If nothing seems to be helping and this has been going on too long, then I'd seriously start considering LIS because it seems to help the majority of people hugely....Hoping the Diltiazem does start working soon for you though. Don't move off that hot water bottle just yet!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again