sighhhh

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

sighhhh

Postby carmona81 » 29 Oct 2013, 03:05

Hey peeps, new guy here. Been living with this thing for a Lil more than a year now. First started with something that felt like a bump in my rear. I dismissed it telling myself it would go away on its own. It never did. I ended up telling my wife about my pain and she had an appointment set up with a clinic. They believed at first it was a boil but did not want to do anything to it. They referred me to a dermatologist and when they looked at it told me it was not a boil and referred me to a CS. That's when the fun started. My CS told me I would need surgery. She operated on me back in February. A fistulotomy was performed and that pain was horrible! I went back to work about a week and a half later. I had a scare that week. I tried to have a bowl movement and was not able. When I looked in the toilet I saw a pool of blood. My wife quickly called my CRS and she said that it was normal. She told me to sit on a rolled up towel to keep pressure on the site. I saw her first thing in the morning and she took a look and said everything was fine. For four months she said it was looking good. Then I received a letter in the mail saying she was leaving the state. I was just hurt. I kept going to Kelsey seybold for post op visits. When they finally had a new CRS he took me in as a consultation. I knew things where not going well. I still had a small opening that just never healed. I could feel air passing and could see that stool was seeping thru. He confirmed and said I would need surgery. My heart dropped. I went home in denial and finally got the courage to say OK. My wife scheduled my surgery and now here I am. I was expecting to be in as much pain as the first time but now I am about 2 out of 5 in pain. First time was 6 out of 5! Difference is when I awoke from this surgery. I was told I had a Seton! I was told I would need yet another surgery after a few weeks! So ready to give up. But I know I got to stay strong. I want to thank everyone that made this site available. This site has given me a Lil hope. But damn. The odds are rough!
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: sighhhh

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Oct 2013, 06:20

Hi Carmona,
I would just say hang in there!
It might be hard to see right now but I'm guessing you're possibly through the worst now.
Following your initial surgery with the pain levels you describe & the after effects, I'm not convinced that this was ever carried out properly. It does seem that a new diagnosis of the issue & your second surgery have however put you back on track. One of the biggest issues with Fistula surgery is that a CRS will not always know the extent of the Fistula until they go in to operate and have to then make the decision as to how to surgically proceed at that time. A simple superficial fistula is more easy to deal with but more complicated fistulae can take more procedures to help treat them.
The Seton procedure is very common and people heal very successfully after the procedure - There is just more interaction with the fistula & the internal sphincter muscle in some cases, which is why the Seton is needed to keep the fistula tract open to drain in the area, as cutting poses more of an incontinence risk. When performed correctly, there will always be some post-op discomfort but there should be no real intensity of pain.
The surgery you are facing is not major and has to be done once the Seton is ready to come out. After this however, you will be on track to getting your life back to normal again! (and after a few months, you will feel so much better too) A few months on, you will hopefully be forgetting you were ever hit with this issue!!
There's a few on this site that have had this surgery & experience, so have a good look through the Fistula section & continue to ask any further questions you need to in the meantime........All the very best to you, stay strong & you will be fine!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby carmona81 » 30 Oct 2013, 03:50

Thanks. I've been reading your posts for quite some time now. You have helped me get thru some difficult times. Thank you!
carmona81
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 25 Nov 2013, 04:03

Eto, I see you have been thanked plenty. I'd like to do the same but not sure how. A Lil help in thanking you please. Lol
carmona81
Salt Bather

Postby rio » 25 Nov 2013, 04:27

Hi Carmona! lKlick on the little thumbs up icon in the upper right corner of each post (you must be logged in).
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby carmona81 » 26 Nov 2013, 05:39

Thanks Rio!
carmona81
Salt Bather

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here