A couple questions for those who have had surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: A couple questions for those who have had surgery

Postby rio » 06 Nov 2013, 04:40

Madlly, that is great! So good to hear about your speed recovery. I am frightened too reading about complications, pain and slow recovery. My CRS wants to do the following (I am repeating his words) : "stich the fissure, remove the skin tag and make a small cut in sphincter". It sounds quite a lot to me. My greatest concern is possible inflammation and pain control. My stomach is very sensitive to medications and I am not able to take antibiotics orally because of horrible stomach pain. And the same happens with ibuprofen.
But I am so happy for you :cheers:
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby maddyl9304 » 06 Nov 2013, 10:44

Hi Rio,

after reading a lot of posts I have noticed it takes a little longer to heal when doctors remove skin tag as I guess its just more sensitive. I have the small cut in my sphnicter and the stitches. I also have a really really sensitive stomach I can only take aleve maybe once or twice a day, and along with antibiotics i get really sick. I think if you just rest for as many days as you can and take the pain meds, I always cut mine in half because I get sick from them usually, but i used lots of ice packs and the sitz baths, i just use my regular bath tub. If you are in a lot of pain now with burning and throbbing pain I promise you this surgery will help you so much. If you do need to take more ibuprofen or antibiotics because of stomach issues I would suggest to try to use ensure shakes which will help coat your stomach. I was on a really high dose of antibiotics last year when I was sick and the ensure shakes gave me absolutely no stomach pains at all. Good luck with the surgery and I hope you have a smooth recovery!
maddyl9304

Postby rio » 06 Nov 2013, 15:16

Thank you very much for advice and good wishes.
I know that I am repeating myself, but just to be sure if I understand: You do not need to take antibiotics as a preventative measure after LIS and skin tag OP ? (They would be given only if some infection occurs after OP)
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby maddyl9304 » 07 Nov 2013, 02:06

as far as i know ive read some ppl had antibiotics before but maybe because their condition was worse. im still scared of infecrion jist cause thats the way i am i over think everything and always expecf the worst when it comes to these things but the pain i was in prior to surgery was unbearable so i felt like i had no choicd but to do the surgery. i made sure i had a good surgeon my dads a lawyer and works specifically with medical malpractice so i asked the surgeon if he could talk to my dad saz he knows the right questions to ask and my surgeon talked with my dad and my crs answered all of his questions after 45min and i think a lot of ppl have bad recoveries depending on how many surgeries your having at once and of coursd everyone doesnt follow the post op directions. my dad said get the surgery done the next day afree speaking to my crs. make sure u trust ur crs and google him find info and how many times he does the surgery i always perfer crs or ne dr wbo is older as they have moreexpeeience. jist make sure if u dont want ro eat at least take ensure shakes its honeslty helps with all the meds. ice packs have them prepared before u have surgeryad i also u se a heating pad. i use witch hazel wipes a few times a day just to make sure area is clean cause i dont want infection happening
maddyl9304

Postby maddyl9304 » 07 Nov 2013, 02:22

i stress the most in using fiber pills i take 2 a day and use miralex once a day even though i just started taking it once a day because my bms didnt hurt but way to much water in stool the worst thing i did was google everyrhing i ckuld fine on internet it was the worst thing i did i got myslef so hyped up the drsbhad to give me 2 painkillers when i came into hospital. miralex is honestly a miracle and my dr is goin to prescibed me flexerol to release my muscle tension i have anxiety and insomnia and if i cant relax my musclds itll only cause the fissure to come back. sorry for all the info but surgery isnt easy and i wouldve appreciated someond tellin me theor expeeience with details. let me know if u have ne other quesrions just try and stay calm i promise u the pain after fhe surgery will feel like nothin depending on ur pain level but 13 dayz post op im feelinfg great nof 100% comfortable but i fesumed normal activites 2days post op gokd luck and let me how ur surgerty went!
maddyl9304

Postby bumtastic » 07 Nov 2013, 17:14

Hi Luka,
I had a hemorrhoidectomy, LIS and Fissurectomy. I had trouble urinating the first day (for a few hours) but was nt bad. Did no need a catheter. My recovery from LIS surgery was very smooth. hemorrhoidectomy was a little harder.
I did not do an enema either.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby 1972xlh » 09 Nov 2013, 04:02

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I know that a fever is one sign of infection.
1972xlh

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?