Question about tests

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question about tests

Postby Pamplemousse » 20 Apr 2015, 16:17

I saw my colorectal surgeon today and he wants to send me to get "pressure" tests and possibly a test to see how the bowel opens (or something like that) and if there is anything abnormal with that. Does anyone have any ideas what these tests might be? I would like to know their proper names so I can read up on them. I think the pressure tests might be manometry tests (does that sound right?) but I am not sure about the other one. I am very, very nervous and want to know what I am letting myself in for!

I am also possibly getting a flexible sigmoidoscopy. All these tests are dependent on my courage! I'm not sure I am brave enough to go through with them. With the sigmoidoscopy it isn't the actual test that freaks me out but the preparation. I am shy about others knowing I am using the toilet and I do not want to be stuck on the toilet all day thanks to a laxative! :oops:

As for the other tests... they sound really traumatic.

Yeah... I'm not sure I can go through with any of them. :cry:
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Question about tests

Postby Canadabum » 20 Apr 2015, 20:32

Hey Grapefruit...i had a flex sig done which was not too much fun for me because at that time i was not diagnosed with a fissure so when the doc did the digital exam it was pretty painful, the insertion of the flex sig was easier than the digital actually. That said -- it does not have to hurt. I was not aware of my condition really...so i did not opt for any anesthetic...had i been "asleep" i would have been no worse for wear other than feeling a bit poked. So if i were doing it again or i had someone to give me advice -- it would be to USE anesthetic.

As for the prep -- I was told to eat sparingly the night before (makes sense, eat light if you can so that there is less to deal with on the way out for your prep) and do 2 Fleet enemas a few hours before the procedure (each clinic/hospital will give out their own regimen of when to do this, how many hours before etc). So the Fleet enemas were not the most fun thing i have done in my life but not horrible...and they are fast acting. So in short, I did not spend the day on the loo and you might not have to as well.

So don't sweat the flex sig...couple enemas or the like and use anesthetic if your bum is sensitive or you have an open fissure...that way you wont feel the ordeal...that is my 2 cents worth. I wish i had some perspective for you on the other procedures but I dont.

Best of luck with your procedures...I hope they go smoothly and take you a step or two forward towards your path of healing.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Scientist2516 » 20 Apr 2015, 21:08

I know some people here have had manometry done. You could do a search for manometry here - it seems that people have varied experiences. If your surgeon is any good, he'll answer all your questions and reassure you about the procedure. If he is impatient and tries to brush you off, I would worry that he won't be gentle or responsive to your discomfort during the tests.

I had a colonoscopy when my fissure was new and extremely painful, but the cleanse and colonoscopy itself were fine. I don't think I had anaesthetic, but did have a sedative, which effectively knocked me out. I don't remember a thing, and there was no pain or soreness afterwards other than the original fissure pain.

I really hope you can get the tests done and get some answers. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Pamplemousse » 24 Apr 2015, 20:06

Thank you for the responses.

After some googling I am wondering if the other test he mentioned might be "defecography". Definitely don't think I could go through with that one! But for now it is just the sigmoidoscopy and pressure tests.

I have to take a laxative rather than do an enema. The hospital have sent me Picolax through the post. :-( The day before the procedure I am supposed to take one laxative before 8am and one around 2pm. ARGH! Seriously considering renting a hotel room for the day so I can be sure of privacy. How absurd is that?! I'm so sick of all this. :-(
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 25 Apr 2015, 08:54

Hey Pamp...if renting a room helps then it is money well spent. Going to the bathroom is a universal phenomenon...so the more you can normalize it in your mind the easier it will be for you. We all do it whether we want to or not!

Good luck with the tests.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby Lloyd31 » 27 Apr 2015, 18:00

My advice get anaesthetic!

The laxative will totally clear you out! Not pleasant but think of why you are doing it. Be strong and do whatever makes you feel most comfortable!!
Lloyd31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby shakdang » 29 Apr 2015, 08:42

I had flex sig done to rule out anything sinister about 3 months after being diagnosed with AF.

Just before the exam my AF had started to heal and I was scared that it'll re-tear if the surgeon got too excited or something so I opted not to have anaesthesia so at least I can tell the surgeon to go slow or stop if I feel that the scope is tearing my fissure.

I have to say the whole experience wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be.

Nurse immediately left me alone after the enema so I was able to go to the toilet without anyone knowing about it.

The felx sig didn't mess up my AF at all .. in fact it went in, around and out without causing any discomfort around the fissure area whatsoever.

The air they pump in can get painful if you don't pass it out during the exam. The surgeon and nurses will encourage you to let it out (don't worry about making noise etc.) during the procedure many times and you should! please don't be embarrassed or hold it in as trapped air can hurt bad.

The follow up wasn't bad at all. You may pass some leftover enema following the procedure. You'd definitely pass a lot of air.

The recovery was quick, a cup of tea and I was out. People who had anaesthesia however have to go into recovery until it wears out.
shakdang
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Pamplemousse » 30 Apr 2015, 18:05

I found out the other day that I have been invited to a job interview the day before my hospital procedure so will not be able to take the laxatives on that day like I should. I called the hospital department and they are going to allow me to have an enema on the day, before my procedure. While that doesn't sound like fun, it solves the problem of potentially having to use the toilet at home with minimal privacy (and I won't have to rent a hotel room!!!) So I think it will be less stressful for me than having to take laxatives, and it also means I get to go to my interview.

Thank you for the responses and thank you so much, Shakdang, for taking the time to share your experience. That has made me feel less anxious! Though I am definitely worried about passing the air out during the procedure. :oops:

My surgeon told me I will have to have a sedative but the patient leaflet I received says I can opt to have one or not. I think the surgeon probably wants me to have it because he knows I have anxiety. But I'm not sure I want to be sedated because it makes me anxious to think of them working "back there" and me not knowing exactly what is going on! I have a strong need to feel like I am in control of things!

I don't know! I guess I'll decide on the day. I'm so scared.
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby Pamplemousse » 19 May 2015, 16:47

Argh! My interview got moved to next week so now I am back to taking the laxatives as bowel preparation, rather than getting an enema. I was told that the laxatives work better and enable a clearer picture so I am opting for that. Knowing my luck, if I had the enema they wouldn't get a good view and I would have to have another sigmoidoscopy!

Anyway, I have to take the laxatives TOMORROW! And the procedure is Thursday. I'm really scared and so badly don't want to do this. :-(
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 19 May 2015, 17:03

Pamp...what scares you the most? If it is taking laxatives I would suggest there is little to be scared of unless what you refer to is the pain of passing stool due to an open fissure. The laxative itself will just help clean out your system. Why not eat a little lighter now, apple sauce, clear broth soups, boiled carrots (in the soup?) and the like so that the going to the bathroom is as easy as can be.

If you are concerned about the Flex Sig....all I can say is that it is a really routine procedure. If you are feeling really anxious -- opt for a sedative or anesthetic...that way you wont have to deal with the feelings of being nervous.

In fact, you may want to speak with your GP and ask them for a mild anti-anxiety medication that you can take tomorrow just to help calm yourself on the day before the procedure.

Also -- are you able to talk with family or friends about your fears...that might be really helpful as the might be able to provide some needed perspective on what you will be doing.
Good luck with everything.
Canadabum
Canadabum