Question for Women---

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question for Women---

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2007, 20:18

Hi~
I was wondering if any of you suffering from this affliction ... also have vaginal pain along with your flare-up? I know I don't have female issues b/c I had a total hysterectomy in January... but when my fissure acts up, I have terrible vaginal pain.
Thanks-
oh-- if you do--- what to you do for the pain?
My family doctor has me on Mobic, Lidocaine cream and Flexeril.
She put me on those today and I see her in three weeks.
vampyre_girl

Re: Question for Women---

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2007, 23:36

Can you describe the vaginal pain? Like is it in the front, back, or all over, inside or outside? Is it burning? or an ache?
I'm asking because I have vulvodynia. I also had a total hysterectomy with cystocele (bladder prolapse) and rectocele (retal prolapse) repairs. I think I had this fissure immediately following my surgery. This was over 4 years ago, so my memory is a little foggy, but at the time, I think I mistakenly thought it was my perineum that was hurting. But, as you know, the anus and the vagina are very close together and I suppose the pain could be radiating to the vagina.

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2007, 07:25

It is more like a throbbing.... When I had a big ovarian cyst, it also made my rectum hurt.... This feels the same way, but of course, I don't have any ovaries. I am wondering if the pain is referring from my rectum to my vaginal area--it is like inside.... not on the outside... I will ask my family doctor when I see her in two weeks. If she thinks I need to see the gyno, then I will go--- but it's funny, I got my fissure after my hysterectomy. I think it was from all the narcotics that cause constipation.
Ice bags REALLY help this area. So I guess I will be sitting on ice for a week or two.
Thanks for answering!
vampyre_girl

Postby buttgirl » 05 Sep 2007, 09:30

I was kinda opposite. My anal spasms got worse during the crampy time of month. (Botox helped keep that from happening the past three mos). The nerves in the area might be linked, especaially if you have an anterior fissure (towards the front). Mine is posterior and sometimes the soreness feels like it reaches my tailbone.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby buttgirl » 05 Sep 2007, 10:42

I just found out that the nerves in that whole area are connected by the pudendal nerve, which means the genitals and anal area all get supplied from the same nerve bundle. So when one place hurts, sometimes another does as well. that might explain the vaginal pain. If you're worried though, you might still want to mention it to your Dr. and see what she says.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2007, 10:47

Yeah, what BG is saying is right. I have pudendal neuralgia that is caused by damage to the rectal branch of the nerve so I have underlying pain from that. When I have a condition on top of it it makes the pain worse and once I get those nerves stirred up it takes awhile for them to settle down. This can also cause vaginal pain too if that branch is affected.
I go to a cranial-sacral therapist (she is a OT but trained in CST) and that really helps with the pain.

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2007, 10:55

Thank you all for answering....
If I use an ice pack back there is helps a lot....
Lecia--
is this what you thought about taking lyrica for?
Thanks!

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2007, 11:33

Yeah, VG, that is what I was thinking about using Lyrica for. I have tried neurontin but it caused some other problems so I can't take it. The cymbalta helps some but I think I may need to up my dosage. I see the neurologist in a few weeks.
Have you tried Topomax? I tried that for awhile but it kind of freaked me out.
I was in the bed for about 1 1/2 years after I gave birth to my last daughter because it damaged the nerve. The pain has gotten better but it took a long time before I could even sit. I work from home on a laptop lying on my stomach.
My life is far from normal.

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion