Quinoa

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Quinoa

Postby cherylk » 14 Sep 2008, 13:36

Here is some info on quinoa and a recipe for it:
Quinoa
Curbing hunger is as easy as piling your plate with this whole grain. It packs both fiber (2.6 grams per 1/2 cup) and protein, a stellar nutrient combo that can keep you satisfied for hours, says chef Sarah Krieger, R.D., spokeswoman in St. Petersburg, Florida, for the American Dietetic Association.
Eat more Serve quinoa instead of rice with stir-fries, or try Krieger's take on a scrumptious hot breakfast: Cook 1/2 cup quinoa in 2/3 cup water and 1/3 cup orange juice for 15 minutes. Top with 1 tbsp each of raisins and chopped walnut
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Quinoa

Postby Guest » 14 Sep 2008, 16:48

Sounds yummy!

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Sep 2008, 17:51

Boy ...and I try to eat only once a day LOL. Cheryl , you made me hungry now LOL
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Sep 2008, 19:32

Fissy, do you really only eat once a day?
Deleted User 5

Postby Corsi » 15 Sep 2008, 02:15

Fissy, you should eat every third hour - you will collapse if you eat once a day. Don't be destructive now, it may affect your healing. I do understand your need to eat little, but eat little several times a day... Listen to me, or I will come visit you...and I can be very strict Image
Thanks for the tip Cheryl, I have bought quinoa and will try it...
Mrs. Trunchbull
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby val » 15 Sep 2008, 09:00

:D you tell 'er Corsi!! Listen to Corsi Fissy dear, otherwise we will gather en masse and all visit you to force feed you! :D You have to look after yourself and keep your strength up :truebud: Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby buttgirl » 15 Sep 2008, 13:44

I usually eat only 1 or 2 times a day too Fissy. when I was healing, I wold have a small bit in the morn (like a tub of berries), plenty of liquids, and a decent dinner or lunch. Now, I have berries in the morn, a small bit for lunch (like a egg or a pita with hummos), for dinner I have a piece of fish, some sort of grain and a veg. If I eat more, I feel uncomfortably full.
Quinoa was way too scratchy for me when I was healing. Even though I cooked it well, I could see the grain hulls on the way out-- sorry to be graphic. Now, though, I think it is delicious.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Sep 2008, 13:59

You're a biologist! You need a steady stream of nutrients and I wouldn't be surprised if that is not a large part of your on-going problem -- if it's true you only eat once a day. Now that is a set-up for disaster!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Sep 2008, 15:13

Oh budds Image , I am so sorry that I made you worry now - it is really me just trying to reduce the number of my bathroom visits since my guts are so fast and efficient - I went 2-3 times a day all my life and poop was always normal consistency - nicely formed and easy to go out. Now that I take Mg and Colace to keep it mushy it goes even faster through me so I try to save my butt from going 3-4 times a day - it is just so much one can handle in one day : (((. So, this way I go 2 times Image . I eat around 5 pm and first eat some of Lecias Bran cereal mixed with peaches, than eat some steamed veggies and fish. Kim buddy - what was that liquid shake you used to drink , was it "Boost" ?? I take supplements too Image , I am trying to
get all nutrients I need but just in one seating Image. But I am loosing some weight and I hate it Image
Thanks all for the concern my dearest friends . Your Fissy is trying to help her butt rest , not to harm myself - but somehow sometimes it looks like it really goes that way - I help my butt and than all of the rest of my body starts to suffer Image
LOVE TO ALL :sprinkleheart: Image :sprinkleheart:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Sep 2008, 16:13

I was worried. I am still worried. Of course you are losing weight and not only that, you are converting your muscle to fat and burning it. That's what happens with one meal a day. Regardless of the poop pain, you need to stop and eat more often. Even if you just drink a can of Ensure or Boost, you gotta do something. Your metabolism is shutting down.
You don't have to eat much. Even if it's just a stalk of celery and a can of boost. But you need to add some "safe" fat and actually, it is important to get protein with each meal ( for your muscles).
Do it. I am not kidding. You are killing yourself slowly. How long have you been doing this?
And remember, supplements are good, but when vitamins/minerals/other essential amino acids are not bound up with food, they are far less effective. It's why I have switched more to Ensure and Boost than rely on pills and powder.
I know you are in pain. Just find ways to get small amounts of food nutrients more often though the day. That's all I ask. That's all we all ask. Small amounts.
God Bless you, Susie Q.
Deleted User 5

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here