Recovery time?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Recovery time?

Postby Jen » 27 Feb 2008, 23:09

What was everyone's recovery time like? I am a full time nursing student and until I graduate in July of 2009, I don't have alot of time off. I was thinking about trying to schedule the surgery for a 4 day weekend, but that is the best I can do. I sit in class alot, and don't do much physical work, so do you think I can manage going back to school so soon?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Recovery time?

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Feb 2008, 00:24

I think 4 days is too little. Two weeks is more likely to be enough for being able to sit for long time comfortably.
All the best !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 28 Feb 2008, 01:59

I agree with Fiss. I went shopping 4 days after my surgery and nearly fainted in the shop. To feel anywhere near strong enough you need at least 10 - 14 days.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2008, 06:19

I second what Fissulyna & Val said. For me, 4 days after surgery, I could barely talk or move, let alone sit. I think you'll find most people will say at least 2 weeks recovery time. Some people take months, it depends on various factors: the skill of the surgeon; your pain threshhold; diet; rest; what surgery was performed (skin tag removal, internal/external hemmorhoid removal, LIS, polyp removal..etc) .....and several more factors.
Best wishes & welcome to this forum. You'll find plenty of wonderful people only too happy to offer advice & encouragement.

Postby juney » 28 Feb 2008, 10:34

i had 2 LIS surgeries and took 2 weeks off after both of them. I didn't even leave the house til a week or more after the surgeries, and I didn't sit on my butt during that whole time...too sore! You definitely need more time than a long weekend.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2008, 18:13

Don't mean to be the one who goes against the grain but from a diff perspective I had the surgery on Friday and felt better by Monday. I am still waiting for something bad to happen though. But I am going back to work tomorrow night.

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Feb 2008, 20:39

Well, of course , ha ha, I felt much better after surgery same day than before it LOL !!! But, with all the baths, watching fiber intake, and making sure to have enough rest - I could not imagine going away from home whole day ; ). Pain wise, I took only one Perkocet first day and that was it, but I wanted to optimize healing and not take any chances of messing up after all that commotion in my life.
All prospective LIS-ers should have in mind that LIS is just a "tool" that helps healing and it does not necessarily happen if further care is not taken.
All the best !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Jen » 28 Feb 2008, 22:21

Do you all think I could handle it if after 4 days off, I went back to school for only half days? Not everyday is a 8 hour day for me. Somedays I am only there 3 hours, then I could go home and soak...WDYT?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Feb 2008, 23:20

It is really impossible to say - sorry sweety : ((. We are all different and as much as there are cases when one can ride a horse in a week - there are patients who are in pain for weeks. It depends of so many things, it is just impossible to know how would you, or your body react.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby juney » 29 Feb 2008, 10:42

i agree with fiss, it's impossible to know how your body will react to LIS. I think it'd be best to have the time off scheduled just in case. That way if you feel better you can go back, and if not, then you don't need to stress about it.

I think sitting on your butt for even just 3 hours after this kind of surgery will be extremely painful. If you have to go, you'll definitely need some kind of cushion and lots of pain meds.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36