Should I prevent fistula from closing?

"Self-healing" conundrum

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Should I prevent fistula from closing?

Postby Benny Lee » 27 Jun 2016, 06:33

Dear all

I have a diagnosed fistula in the most common posterior midline position, I think it was a former fissure, then abscess perhaps, which would have burst without me knowing OR it just formed. Anyway, this has been diagnosed by a colorectal surgeon on the UK's NHS who has me on his waiting list for examination under anaesthesia and then potential fistulotomy.

The fistula has over time been leaking, y'know, mucus and blood. Little feeling of gas passing through sometimes. I went through the initial distressing symptoms, pain sitting down, inflammation...

Now, however, all seems quiet - it seems to have healed over. And I'm never in any pain. I take a sachet of Movicol in the morning. Sphincter still a little tight initially (after years of fissures, none there now either), but pooping no real problem (I sit on a stool).

However, I'm sure I've read from someone here on this forum, that they were told not to let a fistula exit close/heal up, because infectious material could get trapped and cause another abscess. Is this true? Should I use a sterilised pin or something to delicately re-open the fistula? Or should I just think: no pain, no worry?

I will be seeing the colorectal surgeon by the end of the summer, just wanted to hear what people thought.

Thanks
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Should I prevent fistula from closing?

Postby Savaici » 28 Jun 2016, 20:23

I would NOT do anything without first speaking with your CRS. Especially not with a fistula. If you have not had surgery, wait until then though I would research it thoroughly on the net. Not enough people on the Forum to give advice on this. :sunny:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Benny Lee » 29 Jun 2016, 04:38

Thanks, Savaici. I think you're right. Don't want to cause an infection myself, accidentally. It's a relief not 'bothering' that area (as I have done considerably in past years, whether inspecting, applying creams etc.), so I'll just enjoy the current pre-operation period of calm (and touch wood it stays that way)....
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Postby StephP » 01 Sep 2016, 14:40

Hi Benny, have you seen the surgeon yet? Has the fistula remained calm?
StephP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Benny Lee » 02 Sep 2016, 02:53

Hi there StephP. Well, I got a cancellation appointment two weeks ago for examination under anaesthetic and possible laying open of the fistula. It was day surgery. They explained if it was simple and superficial they'd perform a fistulotomy, if more complex I'd get a seton and subsequent appointments. I woke after 1hr and a quarter and they'd laid it open. I spent four hours on a bed then was free to go. I had packing taken out the next day by a local nurse at my GP's (which was a bit delicate-feeling). I felt some discomfort mainly after the operaton, before some codeine had kicked in. And minor bits of discomfort since. But, generally, all well - just an ugly-looking wound very close to my anus closing together slowly. I have 1/2 baths or showers a day. And my instructions were not to pack the wound but to keep it clean, let it heal, and take painkillers (haven't needed to) and report if there is any post-recovery bleeding (presumably sign of re-infection). I have been taking sachet of Laxido [NHS Movicol] daily, but stools feel a little too liquidy, have caused minor 'stinging' feeling, so am gonna take half from today. Passing wind has been very slightly more lively (excuse the terminology) but no incontinence issues otherwise. Far less mucus, in fact next to none, compared to when I had the fistula. I am trying not to be nervous about 'infectious material' getting trapped in the fistula wound - I can't be bothered using a flashlight as I don't fully understand what I should be seeing, so don't want to guess. When I am in the clear completely, of all worries, I will post - I very much hope - in the fistula success stories! Thanks for asking.
Last edited by Benny Lee on 02 Sep 2016, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Postby Benny Lee » 02 Sep 2016, 02:56

Oh and there was minor blood for a few days afterwards. I also used swabs and my partner's maternity pads in my underpants, but they gave me a rash! I think I discovered this once before with lint/pads-type medical bandaging. So once all signs of blood stopped, it's just been clean underpants. And I took an antihistamine for the allergic reaction which worked.
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Postby StephP » 06 Sep 2016, 14:38

Thank you for the update, very much appreciate that. I had a recurrence of my abscess 5 days ago, it started getting really painful and I've been on antibiotics for 4 days. I'm feeling much better now but the incident has made me reconsider surgery that I previously didn't want. I just want this fistula nonsense to be fixed, a lifetime of abscessing is just the worst thought, but then so is incontinance :(. So scared I'll end up as one of the unlucky ones. Your experience sounds not so bad, which makes me feel better.
StephP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1