Spinach is Wonderful

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Spinach is Wonderful

Postby SunshineHope » 20 Jul 2007, 14:56

Hi everyone,
Umm just wanted to mention... I've been eating lots of spinach lately and it's really been helping me stay regular! Someone once warned me that the iron in spinach could be constipating but it definitely is not for me. We just buy the pre-washed and cut packages of spinach that are ready to go, and honestly I've been eating it almost twice a day! It actually helps me feel more normal because Ive started having 2 BMs per day just like my pre fissure days Image Image I know this joy probably wont last cause I'm so used to having set-backs, but right now, I don't care! 2 soft BMs a day is amazing news for me. I just want to keep this up for as long as possible...
All I do is take a handful of the pre-washed&cut spinach and mix it with balsamic vinaigarette dressing -- its my favourite and I'm a no-fuss eater so I just eat it like that alone... If i'm making it for the fam then I mix other veggies in there (e.g. tomatoes/cucumber, etc.) and it also tastes yummy to add some strawberry or rasberry chunks (just adds some freshness). So basically I just eat it as spinach salad & it has really been helping me!
I just hope I never get sick of spinach salad cause I'm loving what it does to my BMs! hehe Image
xo
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Spinach is Wonderful

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2007, 15:02

Yea! Isn't it nice to find something that works. I like spinach salads too but I have to use a lot of dressing since the leaves are very firm.
Thanks for sharing!

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 20 Jul 2007, 15:10

I like spinach too...I actually buy frozen organic spinach and then cook it up. In fact, I think I'll make some tonight... glad to hear you've been having some good days.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby happyass » 20 Jul 2007, 16:40

mmm spinach.
be careful of eating too much as this has either high acidic or alkaline properties and changes your blood. for some reason, and i can't explain why, spinach is on the 'don't consume alot' macrobiotic list. which may explain your softer bms. just reduce your spinach consumption if you begin getting the runs.
putting macrobiotics aside, i love making sauteed garlic spinach along with some mexican corn-infused rice and then some yummy seitan with mole or a nice steamed white fish.
i loved the spinach salad at cheesecake factory - it has apples, nuts, and a bluecheese salad with chicken. but i got sick after eating at one cheesecake factory in west palm beach, fl. so i've never eaten it again.
adding raspberries or blueberries and walnuts/almonds/pecans with a sprinkling of feta cheese and some yummy balsamic vinagrette is heavenly!!!!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby happyass » 20 Jul 2007, 16:45

Is a macrobiotic diet the same as a vegetarian diet?
Not necessarily. There is no underlying vegetarian philosophy in the concept of macrobiotics. Early versions of the diet did not include meats, but newer versions discourage the consumption of heavy meats and may include limited servings of fresh whitemeat fish. Not all fruits and vegetables are considered acceptable for a macrobiotic diet. Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, asparagus, spinach, beets, zucchini, and avocados are examples of excluded vegetables. A macrobiotic diet also recommends consumption of locally-grown produce and avoidance of fruits that do not grow locally, such as bananas, pineapples and other tropical fruits.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby SunshineHope » 20 Jul 2007, 20:46

The macrobiotic diet seems fascinating - I'm going to try to read more about it.. I've just been loving the effect spinach has on me, it's so hard for me to get soft BMs unless I use stool softener!
Gareth, my mom & I originally got the recipe from a restaurant too! Hehe. We were out having lunch some place & the spinach salad was great, so we just started making it at home.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38