stigmoidoscopy?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

stigmoidoscopy?

Postby val » 22 Sep 2007, 09:03

I don't know if that's how you spell it, but what is it, does it hurt and are you awake when you have one?
I have to go back to my crs on 10th october, and he said I should have had one when I last saw him, but he couldn't do anything, not even examine me properly because I was in so much pain. I was just wondering if he would do one this time, although he said I should be looking at surgery if it hadn't healed by then.
Also, now I've had the AF nearly 3 months does this mean that it's chronic and can't heal by itself?
thanks!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: stigmoidoscopy?

Postby Guest » 22 Sep 2007, 09:09

I don't know much about this procedure but it seems like 3 months is not very long to have a fissure. It can take up to a year for it to heal.

Postby val » 22 Sep 2007, 09:23

I wasn't that ken on the man anyway, and he told me I'd be fully healed after 3 days with the op, which I think is rubbish. It's difficult to find a good crs, especially as I'm in the UK and everyone else seems to be in the US!
I'm wondering whether to ask my doctor to refer me on the NHS- at least it will be free if I don't agree or like the surgeon!
val
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 22 Sep 2007, 10:38

It never hurts to ask. I think if you decide to get the surgery you should be able to find someone you feel comfortable with.
What a pain in the butt! (literally)

Postby dano » 25 Sep 2007, 21:39

yea,3 months isnt very long,unless your in terrible pain,then it probably feels like forever.next monthe will be a year for me,my fissure feels great,but there are other related prblems i need to tend to now..
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby fissure101 » 27 Sep 2007, 15:25

sig... is the procedure where a probe is inserted into the lower part of the colon to see if there is any infection/growth/etc. that may be the root cause of a fissure.
i had one when i had the LIS. i was sleeping so i do not know how bad it is. usually doctors will not do it if your fissure is in bad shape since the procedure can make it worse.
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby val » 28 Sep 2007, 06:44

thanks!
so you mean they actually insert the probe into your rear end near the fissure? ow! ow! ow! there's NO way he's gonna do that to me at the moment, especially if I'm awake!
val
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Sep 2007, 06:47

They gave me something like Versed, a twilight anesthesia, when they did my procedure. I remember nothing. The sigmoidoscope is a good procedure to have done, too, as we age...
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 28 Sep 2007, 14:34

That's not so bad then, if you get an anaesthetic, but my crs wanted to do it when I saw him last and I was awake and aware! :shock:
val
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 29 Sep 2007, 09:32

Hi
Just had a flexi sig, proceedure is:
undress & enema,
sedation if requested,
F.S. by sister, uncomfortable, blow air in as they progress & some corners are painful if awkward to manouveure, no aneasthetic cream on probe tho!! you can watch on monitor.very interesting,
removal gently, clean,
back to ward bed & cup of tea & sandwich if you wish,
dress & discharge by nurse following discussion of the results of probe,
followup appointment sent in post later.
They managed to get 3/4 through mine before it became too opainful as I had no secdation, howeever no obvious evidence of any problems......relief...
so fissure is normal problem & next step discussion with consultant regards next step & possible surgery......the thought of this is what made me look for this site in the first place
hope this helps
Pete

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion