still have general discomfort 5 months after LIS surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

still have general discomfort 5 months after LIS surgery

Postby sittingpain5 » 26 Jun 2017, 13:10

Hi Everyone,
I'm a longtime lurker on this site and am in need of some support. I had the LIS surgery 5 months ago and still have constant low-level discomfort. I didn't really have a normal fissure. My issue wasn't pain while going to the bathroom and I rarely ever bled. Instead, I had pain while sitting and an internal itch and general discomfort. I had the LIS surgery last February and I still feel the discomfort. It doesn't itch as much as it did and my surgeon says things look healed, but I am still very tender (particularly when sitting on soft surfaces) and have a constant awareness of my sensitivity/discomfort in this area. My question: did anyone else feel this way 5 months after LIS surgery? Am I still healing? Is this normal? I just want to feel normal again and not think about this all the time.

Thank you.
sittingpain5

Topics: 1

Re: still have general discomfort 5 months after LIS surgery

Postby Mr Fissure » 27 Jun 2017, 17:26

Sorry to hear you're still struggling post LIS.

As it happens I'm 10 weeks post LIS and also still struggling to sit, particularly on soft surfaces, in fact apart from a few masochistic moments, I've been unable to sit on my sofa for the last 15 months! :(

My CRS believes my discomfort stems from another condition that I've supposedly also developed in the last year, Pilonidal Sinus, but I'm not convinced...
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby sittingpain5 » 27 Jun 2017, 18:28

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I don't think that's my issue though my surgeon also seemed to suggest I might have other underlying issues. I don't think I do. I'm just hoping for some reassurance that it can take up to a year to fully get back to normal and that I am still on a path to full recovery.
sittingpain5

Postby Mr Fissure » 28 Jun 2017, 05:55

No problem! And welcome to the boards by the way, lets hope you're stay's short! 8)

I know all too well how disconcerting it is to be told you're pretty much fully healed, when you still feel pain and discomfort, as my CRS told me 3 weeks ago.

It was late last night when I posted, but should have added that everyone's circumstances are different, and every fissure is different (in position, depth, duration etc) so recovery rates logically will vary. I've read on these forums of people with fissures that took 6-12 months to fully heal, and that pain can still be felt for some time after you're healed from the scar tissue of the fissure and the many nerves that run through the area. Also as the IS forms part of your core musculo structure, you may have overcompensated and over-used other core muscles in the area whilst suffering/recovering from the AF, which can also trigger pain and discomfort in the same region...

Anyway, guess what I'm trying to say in a long-winded way is that hopefully you are on the mend, and that given time you will make a full recovery...

All the best
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 29 Jun 2017, 00:32

Mine took 6-7 months to heal. The fissure healed but the surgery site took a very long time.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby sittingpain5 » 03 Jul 2017, 20:09

Thank you both for the reassurance. It helps a lot. Thanks also for the detailed info. I've read a lot about the subject but it's nice to read comments directed at your specific situation.
sittingpain5

Postby chillblue » 24 Jul 2017, 11:35

Hi Guys. I am 3 months post LIS, and I have a small gash in the 3'oclock position where i was cut. Within that gash it is painful. Especially if I press on it. Going to the bathroom is pretty much ok. Its not that uncomfortable. But sometimes randomly I feel shooting sharp pain coming from the area. I am a gay man, and I can forget about having anal sex right now. That spot is way to painful. I am thinking at this point I should be able to apply pressure to it without pain. Has anyone experienced pain in the surgical area 3 months after surgery? My doctor told me i should be all better by now which scares me even more. Will this pain ever go away? It feels like a small nook, and inside the nook is where all the pain is.
chillblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Skiponzo » 27 Jul 2017, 10:19

I almost hate to say this but I had my LIS 16 months ago and I still feel some discomfort at times. Although the surgery DEFINITELY made things better and I would do it over again I'd say I had a straight linear recover for about 3 months then recovery went into a "starts and stops" phase where I seemed to be getting better then had some irritation/pain occur which of course sent my mental state right back to the "bad place". Even now 16 months later I still have some irritation at times. I honestly wonder if this is normal feelings to have and I just never noticed before the fissure. Anyway, sounds to me like you are recovering....it just takes WAY longer than you would ever think.
Skiponzo
Salt Bather

Postby paine » 05 Aug 2017, 07:14

hi. i also wanted to share that at 6 months post lis the surgery site for me is still tender and it gets irritated easily. right now im struggling from spasms of unknown causes because my bm is never hard so i dont know. its just so easily irritated and im back again thinking about this butt all the time. i wish all of us to be normal down there.
paine
Salt Bather

Topics: 4