Still in lots of pain 2 weeks after fistulotomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Still in lots of pain 2 weeks after fistulotomy

Postby Michyv78 » 06 Sep 2012, 20:30

Hello,
I joined this site because it helps to see that I'm not alone! I've had 2 fistulotomys in the past - no problems! Was in lots of pain beforehand and felt immediate relief. This time went to different dr - didn't even have pain but initial doctor found a mass and didn't know what it was so I sought 2nd opinion. She put me under to do exam and I wound up having perianal fistula. Pain subsided initially 2 days later and I went to work. Ok for first week. Now on second week pain has increased to unbearable measures. Dr says its normal and I'm on 4mg hydromorphone (night only) and torodol (powerful NSAID) - what sucks is that I had no pain before the surgery, now I can hardly function and live in the tub! I go back to dr on Wed for post op checkup - anyone else experience similar?? How long til the pain subsides already? Thx and hope you all feel better too!!
Michyv78

Topics: 1

Re: Still in lots of pain 2 weeks after fistulotomy

Postby Guest » 08 Sep 2012, 09:53

Gosh, Im so sorry you are in pain. I am having a fistulotomy on Sept 18th. Its my first. Im just short of terrified. Im in no pain now, just a little uncomfortable because it becomes infected constantly. I wish I could help you through this. How are you today? Does ice help any? Also, since you have had this surgery before, has it caused any fecal incontinence? Im super nervous this may happen to me.
I hope you recover soon and can get your life back. I never knew my rear end could ever cause me so much drama!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Sep 2012, 14:26

Hi Michyv, Hi Sarah,
So sorry to hear you both are going through all this horrible anal stuff....I had a fistulomy around 9 weeks ago.
Michy - Good luck with your follow-up. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think that different individuals vary with their pain levels and thresholds post op but to be in unbearable pain doesn't sound right? Do you suspect any sign of an infection? I recall having pain and discomfort at 2 weeks post op but nothing to the extreme and I didn't need pain killers for it. Was your op dealing with a simple, superficial fistula or something more complex? I'm glad you are going back soon and hope you get some reassurance on it all and some form of pain relief.
Sarah - Hi, you sound like the state I was in pre-op. Just fed up with the pus and inflammed state of the fistula! Well, let me reassure you that if your fistula is simple and superficial with no interaction of the internal sphincter muscle, then it will be simply "deroofed" to let the tract heal from the inside out over a few weeks. A really straightforward, simple 20 minute procedure with high healing rates. You will be absolutely fine and asleep for the op and will have some post op discomfort but none of that itching and soreness like pre-op. It will be gone!!...If the fistula is closer to the muscle, there are other simple methods of treating it and CRS' will strive to avoid any risk of causing incontinence. I've not come across one story on this site where that has been the case, so try to find some reassurance here that should not become an issue for you. Most fistulomies are really successful and there's some great threads on here too from people who've been there and got through it - Just search on "fistula".
All the best to you and feel free to message anytime :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 09 Sep 2012, 06:57

Thanks a lot ETO! I appreciate your advice and comments so very much. I am just learning to use this board and didnt realize there was a search bar! That makes it so much easier for me to find answers! :) This weekend I am cleaning my home top to bottom washing everything I get my hands on so I dont have to worry about it post-op for a couple weeks. I think I will recover much more peacefully knowing my house is spotless. ((a lil' OCD)) Image