Surgery Scheduled, Anxiety Begins.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Scheduled, Anxiety Begins.

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 22 Nov 2011, 13:28

Just got of the phone with CRS's office and my surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday at 9:15.
I had made peace with the decision to have surgery, but now that I have confirmation that this is a definite go, I am starting to feel a little anxious about the whole thing.
On the one hand, I am exited that if all goes well, this time next week, I will be on my way to a normal life, but on the other hand, I am flooded with thoughts about the associated risks... especially the anesthesia.
Any advice on what to expect on the morning of the surgery would be appreciated!
Thanks,
J
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Surgery Scheduled, Anxiety Begins.

Postby Guest » 22 Nov 2011, 18:59

Hey J,
It's so fast. You will be just fine! I've had a few surgeries, and have been put to sleep all different ways. It really isn't bad at all. It happens so fast, that you will awake wondering if it's been done.
You are giving yourself the best shot of healing your fissure once and for all. Try to relax and think positive!! Image

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 22 Nov 2011, 20:10

Thanks, Dawn. Given the spasms I've had since early this morning, I would have the the surgery tonight if it were offered.
I think you'r right, I need to relax and think about a positive outcome. I don't like pills, but I think I might take advantage of the Valium that my CRS prescribed me.
From reading other posts, It seems that most seem to recover quickly from LIS, but I'm wondering if I will have a rough road with LIS, sentinel pile removal, and fissurectomy?
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby jenny2 » 22 Nov 2011, 21:34

wrote u in my other post, but good luck j. Image
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Jojo1 » 23 Nov 2011, 05:14

I felt the same way as you, but also there was a definite amount of reduced stress at knowing relief was coming. Mine was in the afternoon, but everyone was great. I arrived and was called back to preop, they took my virals and reviewed with me why I was there. Each person on my surgery team took a moment at some point to come in and introduce themselves. I had the chance to ask any uestions. Then anout five minutes before, they wheeled me to the op room, put the ox mask over my face and the next thing I was aware of, I was waking up with a nagging discomfort in my rear. Enough to be aware of, but nothing like the fissure pain. I really didnt have time to panic, but everyone was so warm that I didn't feel pressured or rushed.
My recommendation at this point is to use your energy preparing for your recovery. I made sure I had some necilcessities like extra miralax, benefiber, MoM, bottled water, gauze pads and wet wipes. Find out if your doc will have you taking mineral oil so you can get it now. I wanted to be able to go straight home once released, but we had to stop for the oil cuz I didnt find out til after that tgey wanted me to be using it. I planned my meals and set up my bedroom so if I couldnt leave it for a while, I wouldnt have to, with things like towels, wahclothes, cloth diapers ( I find they are good for all kind of things. I used to allow the area to dry before replacing gauze.)
Before you know it, you'll be a week on the other side. You'll do just fine.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 23 Nov 2011, 09:48

Jojo,
Thank you for the advice and encouragement!
I am going to the store today and will stock up on supplies, books, and DVDs. My CRS didn't mention mineral oil, but I will pick up a bottle just incase. I live an hour and a half from the hospital (mostly bumpy country roads) and I don't want to have to make any stops on the way home, if it can be avoided. Besides, we are forecast to get our first snow on Tuesday Image
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby BaronVonDeucerton » 23 Nov 2011, 12:03

I am 8 days past surgery now ( had LIS and Fissurectomy via cauterization on 11/15 ). Only the first day did I experience major pain, but it wasn't that much worse than a bad fissure spasm day. It subsided around 12 hours after surgery. For a few days after you certainly will need to adjust to the changes to your internal sphincter muscle. Take it easy and keep your stool soft by taking Miralax or other stool softener that works for you, and eat light soft foods.
Stocking up ahead of time is a huge help and having your pad setup for convenience is key as well.
The only spasms i had since the surgery was due to a prune juice blow out i had on day 5 which tore the fissure site a bit. It stopped way faster than if it happened in the past so it is certainly worth it in the short term as well as the long term. Also be prepared to take it easy for at least 2 weeks. You may start feeling better after 5-7 days, but your insides need to heal yet.
BaronVonDeucerton

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2011, 19:58

BrokenBuckeye wrote:Thanks, Dawn. Given the spasms I've had since early this morning, I would have the the surgery tonight if it were offered.
I think you'r right, I need to relax and think about a positive outcome. I don't like pills, but I think I might take advantage of the Valium that my CRS prescribed me.
From reading other posts, It seems that most seem to recover quickly from LIS, but I'm wondering if I will have a rough road with LIS, sentinel pile removal, and fissurectomy?

Yes , relax! The valium will definitely come in handy for any post op spasms you may get. It was a lifesaver for me. I also had the tag removed and my fissure cauterized with my LIS. My butt kind of temporarily went in to shock and I had some spasms short term and the valium did the trick. Everything settled down and healed beautifully!

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 23 Nov 2011, 22:05

BaronVonDeucerton,
Love the handle!
I will definitely leave prune juice off of the pad setup list. BTW, I do like prunes, though they are a little expensive; however, Costco has a 56oz bag of SunSweet for $6.99.
I wish you continued success with your recovery.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 23 Nov 2011, 22:15

Dawn,
Thanks again! This forum is a life saver.
Reading about others experiences, I feel better prepared for what is to come.
It seems like cauterization is a popular technique, but my CRS said that my fissure is very deep (muscle exposed), and has gone beyond a fissure, so his going to "clean the tear up and suture it back together."
I like, well not like, but it sounds better, the idea of cauterization vs suture.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather