Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Postby Sue27uk » 14 Jul 2012, 10:12

Aw sorry Andy. Good advice from thisfissure and ETO! I also had a few almost pain free days, with almost pain free bm I thought I'd be ok. How wrong I was!!! My bm and sitting became terribly painful, however it has gradually got better. Until taking only one ibuprofen tablet today has done the trick. Today is a good day, I know tomorrow may not be. Think no pain, no gain!! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 14 Jul 2012, 13:02

Sue:
When the pain is at its worst, does pain medication (i.e., ibuprofen) completely eliminate the pain? Or does it just take the edge off?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Jul 2012, 14:04

Hiya,
I can answer that one too!
After a great day yesterday, today has been the total opposite! I have been really sore. Think possibly my worst day yet!..Grr. I took two Ibruprofen this afternoon and a hot bath and still feel some soreness. It's taken the edge off it for me today but certainly not eliminated it Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 14 Jul 2012, 14:16

I'm so sorry you're having a bad day. Can you take more ibuprofen? I know it takes at least four 200mg tablets to help me with a bad headache, much less a cut in the butt!
I've already decided not to expect any miracles for at least six weeks. And, I've already decided that I am going to do something extra special for myself on the bad days. Perhaps that will make the bad days a little less bad. I'm making a list of special indulgences and I'll pick one when I have a bad day. Perhaps you can do the same.
I hope tomorrow is a great day for you!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jul 2012, 17:18

thanks for the replies guys.
i suppose pain is to be expected this early on, was really hoping id be one of the lucky ones with the bm pain!
still stinging quite a lot now, but on the plus side i have had no bleeding which im quite surprised about. there is no indication that i have had surgery other than the pain, i even asked my girlfriend to have a look (the poor girl) and she couldnt see anything!?
i was under the impression there would be a visible cut but i guess its more inside than i thought.
thisfissurecankissmybut: i am drinking prune juice to soften things, which used to be enough to keep pain somewhat at bay, but i think i am going to start taking movical tmorow for a few days just to really soften things up.
ever the optomist sorry to hear you have had a sore day today, am i right that you have had the same surgery as sue?
and sue im glad to hear you've had a good day, fingers crossed its a sign of things to come!
it will actually seem weird healing..and then staying healed! got so used to healing only to re tear agen that this bum pain at the moment actually feels normal!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jul 2012, 17:25

by the way thissfissurecankissmybut, i see you are preparing for an upcoming surgery and just so you know even though its painful, its not that much worse than a bad tear.
my biggest fear was incontinence, but not shown any signs of that so far.
i feared this surgery for a long time but its really not been that bad (so far!!), and if it works then i would endure alot worse than this to get lasting relief.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 14 Jul 2012, 17:41

Hi Andy:
Thanks for the reassurance! Yes, my surgery is scheduled for July 24th. To be honest, I'm just ready to get it over with. Unfortunately, like you, I have been completely pain free since scheduling the surgery. My CRS said it is always better when someone comes into surgery in a lot of pain (as that makes the post-op pain actually seem like a relief), but I am just trying to really enjoy the pain-free days!
Question: on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad has your post-op pain been? What kind of pain reliever(s) are you taking?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jul 2012, 17:59

until i had my first bm the pain was like a 2 out of 10. the pain during the bm was very painful to be honest, probly like a 9, which is why i am so gutted coz ive seen so many people say their first bm wasnt that painful, its making me think maybe my surgoen didnt cut the muscle enough or something, as things just did not feel loose.
since then its been like a steady 7. just very stingy, but not disimilar from a bad tear.
but im not really bothered about the pain and i dont think you will be either. as long as it works i dont care how much it hurts in the meantime
im taking paracetomal and ibobrufen but they dont seem to be doing much for me. i was offered cocodomal which i havent taken as it can constipate..surprised they gave me it really.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 14 Jul 2012, 18:25

Hmmmmmmm . . . do you think there is any chance you have an infection? Just wondering, as a 7 out of 10 is pretty severe, especially if ibuprofen isn't touching the pain.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 15 Jul 2012, 02:42

Thisfissure, earlier in the week the painkiller was just taking the edge off but it was still hurting. Now if I have a painkiller in the morning it completely gets rid of the pain until evening. Then when it returns its not that bad to be honest. Had a bm last night and didn't sit in the bidet, as it was actually really well formed so hardly any mess. Hope I don't regret that decision! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21