Swelling Butt Cheeks

Hemorrhoid (internal) and fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Swelling Butt Cheeks

Postby tony24 » 14 Jan 2016, 18:25

I just wrote a very detailed account of my problem and lost it all when I went to post. I don't have the energy to do it again right now so I'll briefly summarize.

I've had 2 hospital visits in the last week Sunday, and Tuesday. The first doctor gave a rectal exam and said I have an internal hemorrhoid. She prescribed a Hydrocortisone suppository, a stool softener, and a laxative. I start the meds that day. The next morning it feels worse and later that day my butt cheeks start swelling around the anus. I continue the meds but they don't seem to help so I call her back the next day. She arranges an appointment for me with a surgeon.

I go in, he looks it over, says I have a fissure and writes me a prescription for Nifedipine, and a painkiller that is supposed to be non-constipative called Tramadol. I ask about the swelling he say its a reaction to the fissure that causes adjacent muscles to spasm. Tells me to stop taking previous meds except the stool softener and laxatives. I start the new meds. They help with the pain but the swelling continues to get worse. I call him back 2 days after the visit and he tells me its not too concerning that it will heal. I tell him that I haven't passed stool and he recommends milk of magnesia.

It's been another day. I got the milk of magnesia but haven't taken it yet because I've been eating very light soft foods and honestly am dreading having to go. The problem is that the swelling has gotten worse and now is about 75% of both buttocks making things extremely tight and uncomfortable.

If anyone has any recommendations or explanation of what is going on I will be extremely grateful! I don't know if I should try to 'wait it out', call the Doctor back, or go see a different one. Thank you so much for your input.
tony24

Topics: 1

Re: Swelling Butt Cheeks

Postby Nicolay » 15 Jan 2016, 05:23

My advice would be to get a 2nd opinion.

'Swelling' is a term that can be read many ways over the net, ranging from allergic reaction to bulging muscles (due to spasm), so it is probably best to have a doc make an assessment.

Best of luck!
Nicolay
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Swelling Butt Cheeks

Postby Daisy Mac » 17 Jan 2016, 13:06

I've never experienced that, and it sounds kind of serious, especially if it prevents you from being able to "go." Any better today?
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12