LIS incision site - pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

LIS incision site - pain

Postby StevePain » 02 Oct 2010, 12:15

Contrary to my other threads/posts, I'm not 100% healed, infact I still have good and bad days, the recurring pain I'm having is from, or seems to be from the LIS incision site, and also from the fissure site (not bad pain) the only way to describe the pain is like a slight burning or stinging, sometimes pinching/nipping and if I part my anus and have a feel it definitely stings, my question is, has anyone else had the same experience in pain after LIS, either from the incision site or fissure site, despite this I still feel good about the whole thing.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: LIS incision site - pain

Postby cherylk » 02 Oct 2010, 12:32

Hi Steve!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2010, 12:56

ahhh Steve, I didn't want to see this!
I hope some of the other lis-ers can help.
I can't help but wonder though by reading your other post that maybe sticking with the fissure diet and eating a few of the other things you like will help you to continue healing well. I just keep reading about how important the fissure diet is since it takes so long to regain the natural strength down there. I know others have said they ate things that were forbidden before but they maintained a healthy amount of fiber...plus if you reduced your stool softener along with the chips, pizza and junk ? I don't know Steve... Hopefully the others can answer.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Oct 2010, 23:46

Hey Steve, I had mild-moderate stinging and soreness from both the fissure and incision sites for months afterward. In fact I sometimes still do (and it's 5 months after the fact), although it's definitely less noticeable than before. And it doesn't stop me from doing anything, of course. It typically happens after an unusually hard or unusually watery poop -- basically the same things that would anger my fissure before.
The discomfort is definitely hard to explain since I'm positive the fissure and incision have both already healed long ago. I'm inclined to chalk it up to some kind of nerve irritation, at least in my case. I think once the nerves in an area get sensitized to pain, it can take a long time for it to truly go away.
You know, I've personally been on the fence for a long time as to whether I thought LIS was worth it, but I think at this point I can say that I'm glad I went through with it. Took a while for the scale to tip to the "glad I did it" side, but I think it's finally happened. I'm not exactly 100% back to my old hedonistic ways, but I'm certainly better off than before LIS .. BIG TIME KNOCK ON WOOD :)
I should say that I felt a distinct improvement in the lingering discomfort maybe 3.5 to 4 months after surgery, so maybe you'll experience the same.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 03 Oct 2010, 02:40

Thanks NG, I think you're right about the nerves being sensitized to pain, and it's definitely less noticeable than before, it doesn't stop me from going about my daily routine so that's good.
I've been thinking pretty much the same as you about LIS, just lately though things seem to have improved somewhat, the really noticeable thing about having LIS is the fact that I can push that bit harder without getting pain and get rid of more stool in one go which is definitely a plus.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 428 » 03 Oct 2010, 10:07

Hey Steve,
I too am getting some mild to moderate stinging from my incision site but only during and right after a BM. Nothing outside of that. Do you get the pain other than during or immediately after a BM?
I'm still only a little over 1 week post-op. In the first few days it was a pretty good sting but then I jumped in the tub and it went right away. Each day it seems to get less and less and I only felt a mild pinch yesterday. I'm hoping it continues on that path.
I'm finding that I can also push a little harder than I used too without any pain. It scares me to death to do that still so I try to avoid it but I have done it a couple times without any problem. The other strange thing I have noticed is that it feels like things are coming out at a different angle or area than they used to. Strange, I know, but maybe that's part of the new butt thing. :)
Take care. I hope things continue to improve for you.
Deleted User 428

Postby StevePain » 03 Oct 2010, 14:15

Hey SC, I get the pain after BM, there's nothing during, it's just a minor annoyance to be honest, nothing like the bad fissure days.
Your butt will feel different for a long time to come, I still get some odd feelings down there and involuntary contractions but things have calmed down a lot, I'd say after about 6 weeks or so there's a noticeable change in the sphincter, that's how it's been for me anyway, and as for pushing during BM, it's so much easier and no pain.
Best wishes from across the pond
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby nextlifetime » 10 Oct 2010, 23:55

I had lots of stinging with my incision site too. Eventually my doc put me on antibiotics - 2 courses. The stinging has gone away but I still get some weird sensations. I even got a little bleeding the other day and that old fissure itchy pain for a couple hours. I'm glad that that went away quickly though. As I am still having a leakage prob, I think I'll be like NG and won't be able to say whether or not it was truly worth it for a few more months.
nextlifetime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby StevePain » 12 Oct 2010, 13:17

My incision site seems to have stopped stinging, but I'm still having weird sensations from the sphincter on occasion, apart from that I feel the best I have in years, pooping has never been so easy and pain free!!
I cured the leakage problem by quitting Movicol, I now concentrate on bulking up the stool so that I can evacuate more fully in one or two trips to the toilet, it's definitely worked, the Movicol was making the stool way too soft and some leaked which in turn caused burning/stinging from the incision site, plus it was very annoying that I had to keep going to the toilet to check for more leakage, it was like I was constantly having to wipe away stool from my anus.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Foodgeek » 13 Oct 2010, 03:39

Hello all! I'm new here, but I've had my fissure for about 4 months or so now and I have my LIS surgery scheduled for this Friday morning. I am worried about how bad the pain will be, but I have time to recover from it. I'm also concerned that my surgeon will be reluctant to prescribe pain killers for the short recovery period, even though I don't get constipated and never had that as my problem.
Will I need pain killers? And for how long?
Thanks,
Julia
Foodgeek
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1