Cyclist with anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cyclist with anal fissure

Postby richlen2 » 03 Jul 2012, 07:52

Hi All and thank you for this wonderful forum. I've been a competitive cyclist for 30 years and last year my hemorrhoids got so bad (category 4) I needed surgery and repair of the prolapse. I got this new THD surgery here in the states and it was fantastic. No hemmeroids. That's the good news. I was told when I was first examined I probably had a fissure with it as it's typical with a bad prolapse. The surgery in January and "point of entry" didn't help this situation. The surgery healed beautifully but I've been left with the anal fissure "Ring of Fire". Proctosol helped and eventually it went away after months. I got on the bike and tore it open again. I leave it alone for a couple of weeks, it feels good and tears open again with any vigorous activity. I've done all the hot sitz baths, every OTC cream. My doctors (have seen 2) are very conservative about this and just say wait and it will heal. It's been 7 months since surgery and I just want it to end and get back on with my life and my bike riding. Can anyone help. How can I hurry this haling along and "make it stick"?
richlen2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Cyclist with anal fissure

Postby jr2 » 03 Jul 2012, 09:39

Hi Richlen,
Healing fissures requires a lot of patience unfortunately as they frequently do recur. A few things can help. Bowel movements need to be soft and easy to pass with no straining. Whatever it takes to get your system to achieve this. It usually takes a lot of experimentation with diet, fiber levels, and some kind of stool softener for most people. Keeping the area clean as you would any wound. Sitz baths for pain relief and to relax the sphincter. A prescription for a topical ointment that either contains nitroglycerin or nifedipine or diltiazem to apply to the internal sphincter to promote blood flow and relax the sphincter muscle. Those are the basics of fissure care. Beyond that there are countless different things we all try, some of them with varying levels of success and failure. The area where the fissure is, even when it does heal, will always be an area of vulnerability because scar tissue is not as elastic as the original tissue, but the vulnerability in the area is the greatest for the first 6 to 8 months or so following healing. If all conservative measures fail, surgery can be considered.
We all understand wanting to get back on with life. it is a very painful affliction, physically and mentally, and affects all aspects of our lives.
Browse around these great forums which are full of wonderful tips and supportive people.
Wishing you the best of luck with your healing.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby richlen2 » 03 Jul 2012, 14:41

Thanks Jr2. Because of the hemorrhoid issue I've got the diet down--bran in the morning, whole grain carbs (breads, rice, etc), lots of water and a spoonful of Metamucil. Evetything is super soft and no straining. I do sitz baths and haven't used toilet paper---use water and a spray device the docs gave me after surgery to not irritate the area. Both docs have been reticent to go with nitro, diltiazem or nifedipine due to side effects and tell me to wait another month. My CRS says he doesn't recommend the surgery because of the pain and risk of incontinence at such a young age as mine. I have been using petrolatum and petroleum jelly creams. They provide some relief especially when it feels like things are "scabbing" but it seems to be more masking the issue than promoting the healing. It's frustrating. I wish there were an OTC or homeopathic version of nifedipine or diltiazem I could do myself.
richlen2
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 03 Jul 2012, 18:18

Hmmm... That's interesting. I can understand side effects with the nitroglycerin, and some people get itching with diltiazem, but the diltiazem and nifedipine really have no side effects to speak of when applied locally.
OTC topicals can be soothing and can mildly promote healing, but they really don't perform the function of relaxing the sphincter.
I have a whole cabinet of creams I've used that are all natural. It's hard to recommend products to others because everyone responds differently to different ingredients, and find different things helpful, but of you'd like I can provide a couple of my favorites. Just let me know.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sana1 » 03 Jul 2012, 21:18

The only side effect of diltiazem and nifedipune is potential drop in blood pressure. If they used at bed time you won't even notice.
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

aloe

Postby richlen2 » 09 Jul 2012, 13:19

Thank everyone. I may have discovered an OTC cure. My cousin swears by 100% Aloe for most anything skin related. As a last OTC resort, I got some and got immediate relief. Each day the fissure has been getting better. Yesterday I went on a strenuous 5 mile hike and was surprised I had no pain....a little sore but no "ring of fire" pain. It feels like it is healing and fairly rapidly. That feeling of a burning open wound is gone. Been using it 5 or 6 times a day especially before BM and after. Only been using it since friday (it's monday AM). Anyone else had any luck with it?
richlen2
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue27uk » 10 Jul 2012, 02:47

I have used aloe vera and it definitely eased things. It didn't totally cure it but think that was something to do with the fact that it had healed on top and not underneath. So it would never fully heal like that!! Just had my operation so not using at the moment but would recommend it for people to try :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby jillywilly » 10 Jul 2012, 12:30

Hi Sue I havnt tried aloe yet but am keen to do so as things aren't settling down totally since the Botox, can I just ask what form you buy it in & from where?
Thanks Jill xx
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Jul 2012, 12:40

Hi all,
I so miss my bike too!.....
Before my op, I applied Aloe Vera straight from the plant on my bum and it was wonderful...cool, soothing..but I can't use it at the moment either.
I started with the Aloe Vera in a tube (organic with calendula and witch hazel from Holland & Barret) and that was good too.
I don't think it completely helping with healing but it provides wonderful relief Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Sue27uk » 10 Jul 2012, 12:56

Hi Jill, I saw some in Holland and Barrett, but got mine from Boots. Its got at the top 'Lifeplan' - not sure if thats who makes it, but its called aloe vera gel. It's Ј6.99 but is a much bigger tube than Holland and Barrett. Was on a 3 for 2 with the vitamins last time I went in! I haven't tried using it from the plant :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21