Surgery bound tomorrow. Very scared and nervous

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Surgery bound tomorrow. Very scared and nervous

Postby T0rn » 27 Feb 2013, 10:46

Hello everyone
Maybe I'll start with a little history.....
I apologize ahead of time if this post is long winded. Where possible, I've included links or descriptions of any acronyms, meds, etc. that I've mentioned as I've had a hard time in a few posts that I've read figuring out what certain acronyms. LOL
In September of 2011, After being mis-diagnosed with an internal hemorrhoid at a hospital out of town, I went in to my GP for my appointment. He had a quick look and flat out told me, "that is NOT a hemorrhoid!" In fact I had developed an Ischiorectal Abscess! I could tell by the look on his face that it was serious. He prescribed a heavy course of anti-biotics and told me that if I hadn't felt any better in 24hrs, get my ass to the hospital.
The following day, I was feeling very nauseous and dizzy. I was admitted to hospital the next day with a fever, high white count. I was put on IV anti-biotics and told I would require surgery to drain the infected abscess. The surgery went well and I felt much better following the surgery other than the new pain from the gaping hole left in my right butt cheek. The wound was left open and packed daily with anti-microbial packing strips. This required a home nurse for 2 weeks. I was off work for 6 weeks while the wound healed which was not nearly long enough as far as I was concerned. I still had drainage daily requiring the use of a gauze pad tucked into my butt cheeks to catch any drainage or blood that continued to discharge.
I was warned before surgery that it could be 6 to 12 months to fully heal. I had monthly follow-ups with surgeon for most of the year and 2 or 3 Anal Fistulas. Each time one developed he cauterized it using Silver Nitrate Sticks. which basically feels like a white hot fireplace poker being shoved up your butt.
Fast forward to September 2013...
I start having some pain during BM. I've had fissures before as the pain was familiar. Usually went away after a few weeks. After a month, I started to worry that it might have something to do with my previous problem so I called the surgeons office and booked a followup with him. He has a look and says, well you've got an Anal Fissure. He gives me another prescription for the Proctosedyl suppositories and says, up my fiber intake to make stool soft. He booked an appointment for a month later and sent me home with a 14-day supply of the suppositories. Over the course of the month, my pain during BMs was steadily increasing. I started having multiple baths daily as it was one of the only things that could calm the angry ass.
I had monthly follow-ups and finally in December, surgeon prescribed 0.2% Nitroglycerin ointment which of course caused mild headaches and "bulgey vein" syndrome on my head. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help much and it wasn't long before I was taking 2 hour baths just to have some down time from the pain.
My BMs were so painful that I was sweating during. Something I was learning to deal which however the sting and burn for 6 to 8 hours after the BM was getting intolerable! Oddly enough, I had temporary relief after passing gas. I explained this to my surgeon and he told me to continue with the Nitro and we discussed the next options including the possibility of surgery and the pros and cons of the different procedures. We booked another followup for Feb. 2013 and I went on my way.
I had my yearly physical with my new GP and filled him in on my history. I told him that I could deal with the pain during the BM but it was the pain afterward that was draining me mentally and physically. He gave me some Xylocaine 2% ointment which requires a prescription here. It really didn't help at all.
The pain again got bad enough that felt it warranted yet another visit to the emerg dept at the hospital. I was told that I've been through the gambit of treatment options and that I should really call my surgeons office and let them know that the pain has increased. He prescribed me 2 mg Hydromorphone pills and cautioned me on the catch 22 of using them as they may constipate. They also may not be taken anytime I need to be alert, driving a car, or operating any equipment. Useless to me really except to get a good sleep. I have not used them. He also prescribed me Diltiazem 2% Ointment..
I did as instructed and booked an appointment again with surgeon ahead of the one booked and started the Diltiazem. I also started a daily regimen of Restoralax . In 3 days, the pain went from almost intolerable to manageable. Still had some discomfort during BM and the burn and sting afterward but it was much less.
I had my followup with surgeon and he said, it's time for surgery. He recommends an Anal Dilatation and Anal Fissurectomy and begins preparation and booking for surgery. He also said the next step after that is LIS (Lateral internal sphincterotomy) if the dilatation/fissurectomy procedure isn't fruitful.
Yesterday I went to hospital for my "Pre-Admission" appointment for my surgery and explained that in the 2 weeks since starting the Diltiazem, I have been feeling like things are getting better. She made a note in my file and told me to explain this when I'm admitting as well as to the surgeon during the surgeon's pause.
So there we have it, the hospital just called and told me to be there by 10:45am tomorrow for my dilatation/fissurectomy. I'm anxious, nervous and scared all at the same time and have started my fasting.
T0rn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Surgery bound tomorrow. Very scared and nervous

Postby marg6043 » 27 Feb 2013, 11:20

T0rn my dear, you ordeal with anal problems make some of us complaining look like a walk in the park.
Mind you fissures are painful most of all have suffered for long fissures here.
But you have a long history of suffering and treatments.
I am glad you are going to have surgery and hopefully things will get better and you heal completely.
Please, please come back and let us know how your surgery went and the post surgery information so we that have never had surgery and are thinking about can read about it.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby T0rn » 27 Feb 2013, 12:52

Hi marg6043
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really feeling down today. I'm scared this procedure won't work either and I'll have to have the LIS which I'm terrified of. The thought of even having a chance of incontinence with gas or stool absolutely scares the heck out of me. Trying to keep myself busy with TV, computer and shoveling the stupid snow. I don't think I'll be shoveling tomorrow so wanted to make the driveway super clean just in case we have another dumping tonight.
I'll either add on to this thread or create a new thread and give daily updates post op. It really has been helpful to read others post op experiences.
T0rn
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 27 Feb 2013, 13:20

Hey T0rn, don't worry so much, we have plenty of success stories here with the LIS and very fast recoveries.
You always going to find good and bad stories, but so far even in the worst the incontinence has been temporarily.
I guess CRS knows how to minimized the problem during the procedure.
It will be better if you create a new thread on the topic of the surgery and recovery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby delasama » 27 Feb 2013, 21:14

Good luck torn and let us know how it goes Image
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Englanddevon » 28 Feb 2013, 03:36

Sounds like you've had a really awful time of it! Really hope your surgery goes well, sounds like you have a good surgeon who is well informed of your history do try and put some hope in that. I'm waiting to see CRS and gave researched everything out there about LIS and am not feeling so anxious about this now. So long as you've got a good surgeon then the success rate is very high
Keep us posted on your recovery :)
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Tash » 28 Feb 2013, 11:39

Image Hi T0rn,
I know how u feel. I suffered from a fissure for over a year tried everything I could from medical to natural to keep from having the LIS surgery. But I ended up having the surgery yesterday because the life I was living was not living it was just existing. Not going to lie I am on a lot of pain and wish I didn't need the surgery but I did. I hope all works for you but if you do need LIS surgery it will be worth it of you get healed. That's what I am praying for. Wish you the best.
Tash
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby T0rn » 28 Feb 2013, 16:01

I'm home from surgery. I've started a new thread in the other topic and will keep a running journal of how everything goes. Thanks for all the words of encourage,ent!
Go here to follow my journal...
http://anal-fissure.org/t6163-fissurectomy-and-dialatation-today-pre-and-post-log
T0rn
Fibre Addict