The beginning of the end.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

The beginning of the end.

Postby Electrrrr » 21 Mar 2011, 15:09

Hello all,
I called the thread the beginning of the end because I have started seeking treatment options to end my anal fissure.
I have had my fissure for about a year now. About 2 years ago I used to have a burning sensation for a few hours after BMs and last year i started noticing blood. The doctor saw some minor hemorrhoids and I started doing psyllium husk and some steroid suppositories for the hems. The hems were gone but the bleeding continued so the doctor referred me to a surgeon who took a look and found the skin tag and said that I have a fissure towards the upper left side (my own upper left) of my anus. Fortunately, my BMs are and have always been painless. There is some blood on the top of the stool / paper and there is a soreness / burning that starts about an hour after a BM and lasts for 2-6 hours. It has never really impacted my lifestyle. I can run, ski, play games and the soreness doesn't really stop anything. Only if I clench my buttocks it hurts just a little. Anyways so the surgeon recommended I try nifedipine+lidocaine for a couple of months. Its the second month, and the bleeding is definitely gone down. Its more like it happens once or twice a week but it doesn't look like the fissure is going to go away because im almost 2 months done and its the same every week - bleeding once or twice (still better than before where it bled everyday). The soreness/pain is also substantially less but that I think its the lidocaine talking.
The surgeon said the next line of action would be botox if this did not work and I am probably going to call him sometime this week and tell him that it did not.
If anyone has had similar stories please share and tell me what is going to happen hereafter.
I am truly sorry for those who have had far more painful fissures. I pray to God that you find relief and am thankful that my BMs dont feel like passing broken glass.
Electrrrr

Topics: 1

Re: The beginning of the end.

Postby Elphie » 21 Mar 2011, 15:54

I was like u a year ago, BMs didn't hurt but the burning started later and lasted hours. It took 3 months to get in to see a CRS, by then it was worse and driving was a nightmare. Anyway, since last April I have been using nifedipine and also get some relief from the lidocaine but I find that it causes a hem I seemed to have developed to swell which pulls on the fissure I think. It took until November to get Botox, I'm in Canada and they like to make u jump thru hoops, I know it helps some but it helped me for all of a day or two then everything was much worse, the burning and pain was constant and nothing would releive it. Once the Botox wore off I was back to what I was pre Botox which, surprisingly, was a releif. I am currently waiting for LIS on April 28th. I am still using nifedipine but I am thinking of stopping it. I have read some threads about Botox working well for some so don't write it off, since I changed to miralax a few weeks ago on the advice of the other sufferers here, I haven't had any bleeding. My pain is still there but it's a little less I think.
I hope u get your fissure healed up before it gets worse for u, if it does. It's good that it's not taking over your life like it can for some.
Good luck!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 4015 » 25 Jan 2015, 12:40

Medical honey is really good, but very messy. Try it.
Deleted User 4015

Postby Fissurefrustration » 28 Jan 2015, 13:34

I know this thread is very old but I'm in exactly the same boat. Pain free BMs that are soft but burning and tugging pain for hours and hours after until bed time. Sigh... Would love to hear both your outcomes after all these years.
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56