LIS & Pile Removal on NHS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS & Pile Removal on NHS

Postby Hopeful1 » 21 Apr 2016, 09:48

Hello DV43,

How is the recovery going?

I'm not feeling too optimistic atm as I'm getting a fair amount of discomfort sometimes when passing wind. My fissure was not very painful (thank the Lord) and the level of discomfort is still about the same as before the surgery.

I think I may have overdone it with the walking...the pain only flared up after going for an enthusiastic 4 mile walk 2 days in a row :(.

Just got to be careful again. Back to square one!

Hope you're doing a bit better than me at your 7 weeks
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby brokenbottom » 21 Apr 2016, 11:43

Hello there Hopeful1 and DV43!

I'm in the same boat but a little behind (ho ho) you guys so It's interesting to read your posts. I had LIS and bits and bobs removed nine days ago so still early days, but things are starting to seem possible again which is nice. Still uncomfortable to sit for more than a few minutes and considerable pain during and just after a BM. But compared with the spasms before it's much more bearable.

Take it easy Hopeful1 and I hope you get back on the road to recovery very quickly.
Suffered acute AFs since about 2010
2015 Chronic AF diagnosed
18/2/16 Botox (unsuccessful)
12/4/16 Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of polyp and two tags
brokenbottom
VIP

Topics: 3

Postby Hopeful1 » 21 Apr 2016, 12:53

Hi brokenbottom,

Welcome to the club ;) It's good that we're all in the fairly early stages of recovery and can relate to each other's story. I'm glad DV43 and I can give you an idea of what to expect in the weeks ahead.

It's still uncomfortable when I sit down for longer than I know I should, so I do try to keep on my feet as often as I can. I've also realised that lying on my back (something I've done a lot of) probably isn't advisable either as it still puts pressure on the anus. Can't I do anything right?!

Is your pain during and after a BM from the incision, or the fissure? The burning sensation from the incision should start to fade at about the 2 week mark, or it did for me anyway.

Did you have Open or Closed LIS? I had Open LIS with 2 stitches, one of which is still there.

With the discomfort, passing stool is usually relatively pain free - because it's very soft. It's still uncomfortable, but more of an odd sensation than actual pain. The only real pain I'm getting is when I pass wind, and it's coming from the fissure because this is an identical sensation to before. It's indescribable, like a dull ache that is just infuriating. *sigh*

Anyway. Think I was optimistic about 2 months healing

Ttfn!
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby brokenbottom » 22 Apr 2016, 12:16

Hello there Hopeful1!

Yes very helpful to be able to see what you guys are going through ahead of me. Hope your little setback has been overcome now. When I saw the notes on my discharge letter saying I would be very sore for 2 weeks and that full healing would take up to 8 weeks I was a bit taken aback as I always think, whatever the surgeon says about healing time, you have to double it! They are never there for that bit, so I think they underestimate quite a bit. Well any other ops I've had that's been the case. Anyway, it has meant I've given myself a very long leash in terms of expectations. Maybe I'm being overindulgent but if this is my one chance of getting over this damn thing I'm going to go for it! So for the past 10 days I've mainly been watching episodes of Bewitched while lying in bed on my side and eating dates.

As for the BM pain, I can't really explain where the pain is coming from and I don't even know whether the surgery was open or closed. I've obviously not been doing my homework! But if the pain faded for you at the two week mark, that's certainly something to hope for. I'm having all sorts of sensations across the discomfort-pain spectrum that it's hard to get a handle on really. Just hoping they won't be with me much longer so I won't need to dwell on them any longer!

Anyway, here's to normal, pain-free life for us all! BB x
Suffered acute AFs since about 2010
2015 Chronic AF diagnosed
18/2/16 Botox (unsuccessful)
12/4/16 Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of polyp and two tags
brokenbottom
VIP

Topics: 3

Postby D4V3 » 17 Oct 2016, 08:34

He's guys thought I would post a quick update since its been a few months now!

Approximately 7 months from surgery day:
Zero pain when performing bowel movement.
Zero pain after bowel movement.
Still a small amount of discharge following a movement.

Overall the surgery has been a massive success in my opinion! I have my life back and am on the track to putting weight on and getting my fitness back. Completed the aviemore 10k yesterday in under an hour.

I had my chronic fissure for 4 years and developed a sentinel pile. LIS in my case has sorted me right out.

I hope this post was helpful to some and hopefully gave you an insight in to LIS.

Thank you!
D4V3
Fibre Addict