Post LIS: Going to toilet too often...HELP!!

Stool softener advice required!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS: Going to toilet too often...HELP!!

Postby Hopeful1 » 19 May 2016, 06:42

Hey all,

I'm just over 2 calendar months post LIS and overall I think I'm slowly healing up. It's been a rough ride emotionally, but I'm starting to think the operation might just work in time.

However...

I'm going to the toilet 3 times a day. This is annoying because going this often isn't doing my fissure any favours. :gah: Each time it's never a "full load" so to speak :poop:

ATM I'm taking 1 full sachet of Movicol before bed. I'm going to try reducing this to half a sachet.

Can anyone recommend a dosage or new brand of stool softener that WON'T make me need to empty my bowels 3 times a day?

I'm probably getting the recommended dose of fibre daily and drink plenty of water, so I'm thinking it just HAS to be the softeners responsible for this. It's too early to stop them so finding the right balance is essential.

HELP!
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Post LIS: Going to toilet too often...HELP!!

Postby Canadabum » 22 May 2016, 10:59

I wish i had an answer for you...sounds like things are generally moving in the right direction other than the too frequent bm -- is it just annoying or is it causing pain?

From reading your other post i assume you dont really want to take fibre supplements -- but...that may help in general with peristalsis and may in a way help bind all your stuff together a bit more so that it comes out in one shot. There is the standard metamucil and some others that are all soluble (you can get different varieties at good health food stores). I find it helps me...you may want to try a very very low dose and see if it helps at all.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Hopeful1 » 23 May 2016, 07:26

Hi Canadabum!

Yes, things DO seem to be moving slowly in the right direction. It's finally getting easier to sit and drive, so I'm very happy about that. First time in ages I can actually envisage my life getting back to normal.

I'm still getting a prickly/ pinching feeling from the fissure at times, and, as mine seems to go very far in, gets irritated by stool that's waiting inside or a sudden build up of gas. Either that or there's something else wrong inside me. I think however it's just a really long fissure. It's healing well externally, but I fear it'll be ages until further up inside heals. I'm assuming it heals from deeper down towards the sphincter upwards?

The too frequent toilet visits are rarely painful, which is a good sign. However I can't help but think going less often will allow things to heal quicker. These particular stools are often on the sloppy side too which fissures seem to hate? Or maybe it's just mine.

I'm not adverse to fibre supplements, I just prefer the idea of getting it together through diet alone. But it's a difficult balancing act. So your advice is very welcome! I think you might be on to something here. Maybe this is what I've been missing.

I have started taking Fybogel again now, which is giving me bulkier and firmer stools. This contains Ispaghula Husk. But they are slightly bulkier and firmer than my fissure likes.

Perhaps a combination of Metamucil and Movicol? It's so difficult getting it right but there's no hurry and time is on my side.

Thanks again!
GTN unsuccessful
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby Hopeful1 » 23 May 2016, 07:43

P.S - with the Metamucil, do you take the powder? If so, how often would you recommend?
GTN unsuccessful
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 23 May 2016, 10:16

I take the powder. Personally I take one scoop in the morning before breakfast and then in the evening I take one scoop of a 100% soluble fibre called "clear fibre" made by Renew Life...it is Acacia Senegal.

You may want to start with a half scoop each time and if you need/want more then increase the amount used.
Canadabum

Postby Hopeful1 » 24 May 2016, 08:46

Thanks for all the advice! Metamucil purchased and ingested this morning. Wish me luck. Also just ordered some Acacia Senegal so I'm copying you 100% ;)

Can I ask, are you also on stool softeners too? In your experience, should I theoretically be able to give up the softeners and rely on these fibre supplements instead?

Cheers!

Feeling hopeful...
GTN unsuccessful
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 24 May 2016, 10:21

I take a quarter dose of Miralax and split it half in the morning and half in evening. I measured out the dosage with measuring spoons to be very accurate. So it comes out to 3/8 of a teaspoon twice a day.

Coincidental to your question - I just reduced my dosage to 1/4 (or 2/8) of a teaspoon twice a day. I'm on my second day of the new dosage and so far so good. My goal is to eventually wean myself off...but I am in no rush. I'll stick to the new dosage if it works for at least a month and reevaluate then.

Personally I really benefitted from the combo and would not have healed to the degree I am healed (or in the timeframe) without the combo - so for me it was important to use both.

Hope that helps.
Canadabum

Postby Hopeful1 » 24 May 2016, 11:11

Ok. Thanks again Canadabum. I'm nervous about giving up the softeners this soon, and that goes against my CRS' advice too. So I'll stick with the Miralax/Movicol for now and experiment with dosage whilst using the fibre supplements.

Am I right in thinking that Miralax just makes things softer and isn't a stimulant laxative? I.e, it shouldn't make me need to go 8 hours after taking it for example. Because I was going so often I just blamed the Miralax.

Thanks for all your help.
GTN unsuccessful
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 24 May 2016, 11:47

Hi, LIS is to relax the muscle so the fissure can heal. The healing can take up to 6 weeks. You want to keep your bms soft and easy to pass. Play around with the dosage of miralax. It's completely flexible. If you try metamucil or bulking fiber they are going to make your stool larger and cause more stretching so right now stick to keeping things soft.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Canadabum » 24 May 2016, 21:50

Miralax does not stimulate a movement for me at all -- it's an osmotic softener that will make things soft. Suzy is right - the Metamucil will bulk thing up bit it should be soft. I find the fiber supplement helpful for help with peristalsis. Interestingly I have found that the 100% soluble acacia fiber does not bulk at all (for me) but simply helps with the peristalsis. You may want to stick with acacia fiver for now if you choose to continue with it.

Finally - for full disclosure I also take 200mg (1 pill) of magnesium bisglycinate each day. Most of us are magnesium deficient so it is something I may take with no concern for the rest of my life.

Keep us posted.
Canadabum