Nifedipine & calmoseptine together???

treatment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nifedipine & calmoseptine together???

Postby Pokey » 21 May 2016, 10:44

I had LIS some time ago and had been doing very well, but within the past year I have been having recurring bouts of pain,irritation, itching and bleeding. Long story short it took 3 trips to different doctors before a CR surgeon said I had a recurring fissure, albeit a small one he said. I guess I fall within the less than 5% who can get these damned things again after having lis surgery. This is a kind of being special I'd just as soon live without......anyway the CR suregon told me to try nifedipine ointment for the fissure and calmoseptine for the irritated anal tissue along with 2 colace 2x/day. I did not tell him I had been using a product called "Pranicure" which has been really helpful for the burning and itching. Reading the ingredients of Pranicure its basically a souped up calmoseptine ointment. Its been really helpful, but not a cure. My symptoms come and go, come and go. Can't seem to rid myself of them permanently. Well I started using the nifedipine again and the nasty greasy petroleum jelly in the nifedipine seems to aggravate my irriated anal tissue. Petroluem jelly will not allow for dry skin and the calmoseptine to get to its target, if you know what I mean. Seems to me one ointment is counteracting the other. Has anyone here had experience using both Nidedipine and calmoseptine together for fissure and itching/burning and what's been your experience using them both at the same time???

Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Nifedipine & calmoseptine together???

Postby Canadabum » 22 May 2016, 10:44

Pokey -- I have not had that experience...but here are some thoughts...

First -- if the vaseline is bothering you -- you can ask your compounding pharmacy to use a different underlying agent to mix the nifedipine powder in to...some people react differently to the underlying creams that are used and some times you need to get the right one that works for you.

Second -- what about using the Pranicure first...let is absorb for an hour or two....then apply the nifedipine afterwards. That way the nifedipine ointment will not get in the way of the pranicure.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Re: Nifedipine & calmoseptine together???

Postby Pokey » 22 May 2016, 11:34

I asked the pharmacist if they could just that and she was of no help. Had to be in petroleum jelly she said. Will be more insistent next time. As for using concurrently with Pranicure great minds do think alike. As you suggested I decided to apply a fresh dose of pranicure in the morning after my regular BM (thankfully I am as regular as the sunrise)and then at night use the nifedipine with the theory that the pranicure will act as a protective layer to my irritated exterior anal tissue. Seemed to help last night.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20