How to soften stool without side effects??

getting desperate :/

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby Mypoorbutt » 21 Sep 2016, 10:12

It's because I have spent years ignoring my IBD and often going 30 times a day it has made the skin thin and I have spent a lot of time "holding a BM" till I can find a toilet so my resting sphincter pressure is very high so according to my CRS it was only a matter of time before I got a fissure....well if someone had told me about fissures and the agony involved I would have taken more care of my IBD in the first place but hey ho.
I use psyllium husk now to try and bulk up my BMs and it does work quite well at absorbing some of the water content.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby pdt935 » 30 Sep 2016, 18:29

Not much worked for me, so my doctor prescribed me Constella. I plan to go off it soon (it's been great) and use Lax-a-day, which is very similar (and less expensive, Constella before insurance is about $130 CAN per month). I was surprised to hear Lax-a-day is NOT a laxative, but simply draws more water into your stools to make them soft.

My GP is great, but I'm going to look into the above just to be sure.

Good luck!
pdt935
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Katiefish » 10 Oct 2016, 12:10

Cooked beets work for me. Olive oil before bed. Two tablespoons of lemon juice in warm water first thing in morning on empty stomach which is supposed to stimulate bile production that then stimulates peristalsis The thing that works best for me is something called hydro c colonic moisturizer. I think more natural and safer than Miralax. No side effects. No dependency. Just draws water into bowel. I take a teaspoon and 1/2 everyday first thing in morning. Takes about half hour to hour to work. Didn't work first day but worked after that. They recommend 1 tsp but I need a little more. Don't have bottle in front of me but I think it contains magnesium calcium vitamin c and something else.
Katiefish