How to soften stool without side effects??

getting desperate :/

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion



How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby roseyaa » 15 Sep 2016, 14:21

AGH I hate how this forum logs me out and my posts gets deleted if I take too long to write it. :(

Anyways...

So I'm getting desperate because I'm back to blood streaks and pain and soreness due to my stool not being soft enough.

Alfalfa - this was AMAZING for the 3 weeks I was on it (I was taking 8 per day), but I started taking more per meal and developed an immune response that left me in extreme pain all over my body. It still makes me sad because it made my stools perfect!! And I bled maybe 1-2 times during those 3 weeks. :(

Soaked flaxseed - works great but if I increase my dose (more than 1/2 tsp) to make it softer, my stool also gets bigger (we all know how that is a problem).

Magnesium - I need to be taking at least 450mg for it to have a softening effect, but at that dosage I get headaches and swollen tongue.

Vitamin c - tried high doses as well, constipated me actually. Though I felt this did help with healing the fissure (it felt less sore/painful).

Probiotics/sauerkraut - made me constipated. I could have been taking the wrong ones.

Hempseed oil - didn't soften at all, though it made my poops smaller/more narrow.

Coconut oil - can't seem to get the right dosage. At low doses, it felt like it hardened my poops. At high doses, I get diarrhea for days. I also get die off symptoms when I take it.

Aloe vera juice - no stimulatory effect. Decreased my stomach acid.

Raisin water - I probably didn't take enough of it to have a stimulatory effect. I read it's great for constipation (so it increases stool transit time thus making stool softer).

Restoralax (miralax equivalent?) - so I'm considering this but the horror stories of gas, bloating, and side effects from long-term effect really scare me. I need to be taking something for months to fully heal.

Also tried a ton of foods - apricots, prunes, sweet potato, yams (this made my poop massive!!), spinach, leafy greens, and anything that's known to make poop softer. It still doesn't make it soft ENOUGH! All the leafy greens did it was make my poops bigger. I need soft and small stool.

I have not tried: flaxseed oil, hemp protein powder (heard itm akes people regular), chlorophyll tablets/liquid (I'm concerned about drinking/taking this long-term, as I seem to be allergic to greens?), aloe vera capsules (doesn't seem to be healthy to take this long-term either, but if anyone has tried it long-term and had no side effects lemme know), prune juice, ghee.

I'm thinking I might just try the prune juice even though it sounds gross.

AFers - what do you recommend??
roseyaa
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 27
Topics: 5
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 16:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby Savaici » 15 Sep 2016, 20:22

I would recommend that you go with the Miralax alternative. I have not heard of the side effects, but if you do have them simply reduce the dosage.

Also,if the message gets deleted, best to do it in Word, copy and paste. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator
 
Posts: 3833
Topics: 222
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 17:00
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 259 times
Gender: Female

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby bumbumsong » 17 Sep 2016, 13:00

I eat low residue/low gluten while not eating any greens. I have talked to my doctor and they said it's just how it is. :/ I can't eat salad or spinach.

I use fish oil, and 700mg chewable magnesium to soften my stool. If I'm really constipated I use lactulose, it's great. I am also on a fiber supplement that has psylium seed plus sorbital to make my stool softer. Pardon the bad spelling.

Kat
bumbumsong
Salt Bather
 
Posts: 52
Topics: 12
Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 23:01
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby bumbumsong » 17 Sep 2016, 13:02

bumbumsong
Salt Bather
 
Posts: 52
Topics: 12
Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 23:01
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby roseyaa » 17 Sep 2016, 20:01

Savaici wrote:I would recommend that you go with the Miralax alternative. I have not heard of the side effects, but if you do have them simply reduce the dosage.

Also,if the message gets deleted, best to do it in Word, copy and paste. :smilyhug:


I've read about the side effects from long-term use on other forums, though I'm not sure how much they were taking.

I don't need my poops to be like icecream; they just need to be a good size and fairly soft but not mush. I'm taking EVOO right now - and find that it really helps with the consistency, so I just need something extra to make it softer.

I went out today and bought Lax a Day (such a pretty pink container) and will be trying it out!!
roseyaa
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 27
Topics: 5
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 16:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby roseyaa » 17 Sep 2016, 20:10

bumbumsong wrote:I eat low residue/low gluten while not eating any greens. I have talked to my doctor and they said it's just how it is. :/ I can't eat salad or spinach.

I use fish oil, and 700mg chewable magnesium to soften my stool. If I'm really constipated I use lactulose, it's great. I am also on a fiber supplement that has psylium seed plus sorbital to make my stool softer. Pardon the bad spelling.

Kat


Thanks for sharing what you use Kat!

That's an interesting fiber supplement, never heard of any with sorbitol (I think that's the right way to spell it). What's the brand?

Do you find that the fiber supplement bulks up your stool?
roseyaa
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 27
Topics: 5
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 16:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby Mypoorbutt » 18 Sep 2016, 03:20

Hi I never need to find something to make my stool softer I'm the other way round lol...
But have you tried oil of oregano my family use this as soon as we feel a cold coming on they all get softer BMs after a few days and I can't take it at all as it turns mine to liquid. They take it for about 3 months during cold season and they say that BMs are much softer the entire time.
Don't know if this will be of any use but I also can't have pink Himalayan salt as that makes my BMs much too soft.
Hope you find something that works for you
Mypoorbutt
Moderator
 
Posts: 1870
Topics: 19
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 14:10
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Gender: Female

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby bumbumsong » 18 Sep 2016, 05:25

roseyaa wrote:
bumbumsong wrote:I eat low residue/low gluten while not eating any greens. I have talked to my doctor and they said it's just how it is. :/ I can't eat salad or spinach.

I use fish oil, and 700mg chewable magnesium to soften my stool. If I'm really constipated I use lactulose, it's great. I am also on a fiber supplement that has psylium seed plus sorbital to make my stool softer. Pardon the bad spelling.

Kat


Thanks for sharing what you use Kat!

That's an interesting fiber supplement, never heard of any with sorbitol (I think that's the right way to spell it). What's the brand?

Do you find that the fiber supplement bulks up your stool?


Hi! :)

No problem! It's called Vi-Siblin. It's Finnish but maybe it's around elsewhere too?

Nope! I drink 6 grams of fiber in a sugar free juice mix..about 1 cup of water. I'd barf else. I drink another 8 oz glass of water with it and haven't had that problem at all. No bulking whatsoever, it just makes it more slimy so it comes out okay.

Kat
bumbumsong
Salt Bather
 
Posts: 52
Topics: 12
Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 23:01
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby roseyaa » 20 Sep 2016, 19:33

Mypoorbutt wrote:Hi I never need to find something to make my stool softer I'm the other way round lol...
But have you tried oil of oregano my family use this as soon as we feel a cold coming on they all get softer BMs after a few days and I can't take it at all as it turns mine to liquid. They take it for about 3 months during cold season and they say that BMs are much softer the entire time.
Don't know if this will be of any use but I also can't have pink Himalayan salt as that makes my BMs much too soft.
Hope you find something that works for you


I've never tried oil of oregano! Thanks for telling me about it!! I'll give that a shot later. I'm experiencing the opposite problem now - diarrhea - after taking stool softener for ONE DAY.

How did you even get a fissure if your stool was soft?

I got mine when I was extremely constipated and stressed out.
roseyaa
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 27
Topics: 5
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 16:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Gender: None specified

Re: How to soften stool without side effects??

Postby roseyaa » 20 Sep 2016, 19:35

bumbumsong wrote:
No problem! It's called Vi-Siblin. It's Finnish but maybe it's around elsewhere too?

Nope! I drink 6 grams of fiber in a sugar free juice mix..about 1 cup of water. I'd barf else. I drink another 8 oz glass of water with it and haven't had that problem at all. No bulking whatsoever, it just makes it more slimy so it comes out okay.

Kat


That's really helpful to know, thanks again! I've always had an issue with fiber bulking up my stool. I wonder what it's in that makes your stool slimy but not bulky. I'll have to look into the ingredients and see if there's a similar product out there.
roseyaa
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 27
Topics: 5
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 16:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Gender: None specified


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests

cron