First Fistula - normal experience?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: First Fistula - normal experience?

Postby EndlessSummer » 18 Jan 2017, 15:43

I had my surgery on Saturday, although it was an LIS. I was feeling pretty optimistic but it went even better than I had expected. Practically no pain at all, just some irritation and back to functioning very quickly. You will feel so much better once its over!
EndlessSummer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Katie » 18 Jan 2017, 16:03

Do you think??? I just so scaryed about being cut the lenth of the fistula and being left with it all open scaryed to go to the toliet I really want this to heal right and hope my fissure heals and goes away as well xx so are you not on any painkillers? X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby EndlessSummer » 18 Jan 2017, 17:11

Well mine was a slightly different surgery, but I still got a prescription for painkillers. I took a few, but I would have been totally fine without them. It was just nice to have. And going to the bathroom after stung a little, but that's it. Hardly any pain. I was expecting to take regular painkillers for at least a few days, anyway
EndlessSummer
Fibre Addict

Postby Sorebutt26 » 12 Feb 2017, 18:27

Katie

How did your surgery go?
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Katie » 15 Feb 2017, 07:31

Hi it went ok thankyou 4 weeks ago this Thursday I had the fistula cut and layed open a skin tag removed and more bottox for my fissure it still sort to go to the toliet and after for a bit but that's it it does feel itchy at times and some times a little red on the tissue I have read it can take months to heal to take it it will still be sore till 100 healed how are you? X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sorebutt26 » 17 Feb 2017, 03:54

Hi Katie

I'm getting there thanks. I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I had fistula surgery and a draining seton fitted due to the location on the fistula. I've had a few problems along the way, mainly due to the nurses packing the wound too tight. But I'm getting there.
It sounds like I will possibly have the seton in for a year or more though!

Glad to hear you're doing well xxx
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict

Postby Katie » 17 Feb 2017, 05:51

Hiya I don't have a seton put it it was open layed surgery so it will just heal natural and I never had mine packed at all hun X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 17 Feb 2017, 05:53

Wow a year!!! The lady next me to had hers in for 2 years and they put again one back in!!!! Why does it take so long hun?
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sorebutt26 » 17 Feb 2017, 06:15

I've had laying open of fistula surgery too about 3 years ago. I remember having baths every couple of hours, even during the night as I had a bad fissure and the spasms were awful. If I didn't have the fissure problem, I don't think it would have been anywhere near as bad. But from memory, I think I recovered pretty quickly.

From what i understand, I think it takes so long because (I have a High anal fistula) and the loop goes to the top of the fistula tract and then comes out at the bottom, this will keep the tract open and help it heal. The scar tissue then starts to build up and slowly pushes the seton out and then eventually it's taken out. The reason the seton is used it because the tract either runs through the sphincter muscle or very close to it, so it couldn't just be laid open or this would involve cutting the sphincter muscle which will obviously cause incontinence. Which we don't want haha.

So although it's a long process, it seems like the best option in the long run. But my god it's getting me down. Although as each day passes I learn to live with it. I have good days and bad. Today is an inbetweeny day, I'm uncomfortable today!

Are you back at work now hun? How are you finding sitting in general, are you pretty comfortable? XxX
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict

Postby Sorebutt26 » 23 Feb 2017, 03:06

How are you doing Katie? X
Sorebutt26
Fibre Addict