:(- my fistula experience

P.sI apologize to the persons post I "hijacked.", took me a while to figure out how to make one

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

:(- my fistula experience

Postby Sadgirl22 » 29 Sep 2016, 16:35

I know this is kind of an old feed but it's been helpful to me. I am exactly 1 week post surgery that removed a fistula ! I am a 22 year old female just starting out her career as a licensed practical nurse. I Experienced 4 awful abcesses to my left buttocks starting in 2015 and coming like clockwork every 5-6 months.

They were awful, I truly wouldn't wish an abcess like this on my worst enemy. I couldn't walk, change positions or even sleep. If I didn't go to the ER and get it lanced, it would never drain and I would start experiencing symptoms of a blood infection. IV antibiotics for a week and at least a full week or two off work. No one refferred me to a surgeon until my fourth abcess.

They put me on a wait list and called me just under 3 weeks before they wanted to do the surgery. I was so nervous. I cried the night before surgery and tried to hold it together while we did the prep. The scariest part was going under and not knowing what they would find, what the would do or if I'd be cut open when I woke up.

Turns out they found a fistula. Mostly superficial but had to cut a bit of muscle. I really felt no pain the first day or two. Now I go to a home health clinic every morning to have it packed. They have been using a salt packing that stings like a bitch, but I know it's working to fight bacteria prone to that area.

The nurses have taken two sets of pictures and say it looks clean. I can't bring myself to look at the pictures. I can't even get through one of those HH appointments wthout crying. Its not cause of the pain, I can handle most of that..It has a huge impact on my self image and it's hard to have hope for the future.

I am eager to return to my job as I am worried they will give away my line. My boyfriend said they can't do that, but things are crooked in the place I work.. My surgeon said about 3 weeks off, however from what I have read the recovery time is much longer. And returning to normal may take up to half a year or so.

Sometimes I feel really down. I have a boyfriend who has been more supportive and involved than any 22 year old guy should be. He says he will always love me I just get so worried. When will I be able to have sex again ? Will I ever be able to wear a bikini ? This is so hard but I know I have to be strong and so I can be healthy in my future. I know brighter days are coming I just have to keep pushing forward .... Lots of protein, fluids and rest...

I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for on here, just to maybe help me not be so dramatic about it. My surgeon seems confident, but I've been down from this issue for so long it's hard to be positive. Thank you so much for listening...

B
Sadgirl22

Topics: 1

Re: :(- my fistula experience

Postby Savaici » 29 Sep 2016, 19:57

Welcome to the forum :wel: :wel:

So sorry for what you're having to go through. I have not had this surgery myself, and hope that someone else will come along who has, but in the meantime can give you a link on the forum to the success stories of those who have and have up and moved on! Which I am sure will happen to you. Try not to be down (easy to say I know, but you need all your energy to get healthy and 'fight' it). Did they test for Crohn's, by the way?

Big :smilyhug: to you, and feel free to come in and rant and don't worry about putting the post in other parts of the forum either. It happens.

Here is the link. Read all the good ones. Hang in there; things will improve soon.

fistula-success-stories-f34.html
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: :(- my fistula experience

Postby Sadgirl22 » 30 Sep 2016, 12:33

Thank you, you are very kind. The success stories are really nice to read, I know I just need to maintain the motivation to get out of bed and going to that clinic !!

Thanks again
Sadgirl22

Topics: 1