Sudden improvement before LIS

Should I go through with the surgery or not?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Sudden improvement before LIS

Postby angryfissure » 11 Jan 2017, 12:00

I realize it is a personal decision but I'd like to hear from those who have been in the same boat before.

I have been battling a fissure since early Nov'16. I have had fissure twice before and healed naturally both times in two weeks. This time the pain continued on so I agreed to get LIS and Fissurectomy done. It is scheduled for tomorrow. Just as my luck has it, I have continuously improved over the last three days. Today I had pain for half an hour after BM but I am feeling perfectly normal after that. Otherwise I have been relying on a painkiller to take the edge off.

I called the doctor's office and they still recommend the surgery because they think there is a high likelihood that I will re-tear in the future. I am so confused just a day before surgery. According to the doctor's office, I have gone past the window of cancellation which was 5 PM yesterday.

Has anyone been in the same boat? What did you do?
angryfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Sudden improvement before LIS

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Jan 2017, 14:45

Hi Angry,
Glad to hear you have had a few good days, if I were you I would still go ahead with the op. Especially as you have had fissures before so would have a high chance of getting them again.
The LIS is usually very easy to recover from and most people are back to life ore fissure after a couple of weeks.
I don't know if your in the UK but if your fissure was by some happy chance totally healed then the surgeon wouldn't perform the op anyway.
Really good luck for tomorrow
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby angryfissure » 11 Jan 2017, 15:47

Thanks mypoorbutt! I am in the US so the doctors here would not be too hesitant to recommend surgery. Hence my quandary. But a part of me thinks just like what you said, get it over and done with before giving it a chance to come back at an inopportune time for me.
angryfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Jan 2017, 16:16

It's so hard with fissures I spent 3 weeks before my LIS feeling not too bad pain was only about a 4/5 and was only lasting just over an hour most days. I had the LIS and my CRS said my fissure was still very deep and very long I had just manage to hit a lucky few weeks with diet, meds and GTN so basically if I hadn't had the LIS it would have shown its nasty little self very soon. Like you say you have planned for this surgery and made time....your fissures could be quiet for months but then pop up when you least need them like they tend to do.
Having doctors so willing to operate sounds like a good thing but I guess in your situation it can add to the confusion.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby paine » 14 Jan 2017, 08:57

Hi angryfissure. May i ask if you went ahead for the operation. Im having the same dilemma.
paine
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby angryfissure » 14 Jan 2017, 09:03

Hi Paine,

I did. So far I am glad I did. I was asked to do two enemas before the surgery. During the process I realized that my fissure was still very much alive and kicking. The enema was the worst part. The surgery was a breeze. I didn't have any pain after the surgery but the first night was rough in part because of my own folly. I had stopped eating much a day before surgery so the painkillers made me very nauseous. As soon as I started eating properly, it was all good.
Overall, it has been good so far and I am glad to have taken this step. The only thing I would say is that you make sure the CRS is a good and highly recommended one.
Good luck with your decision!
angryfissure
Fibre Addict