Just had surgery today

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Just had surgery today

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Apr 2017, 09:56

I would get back on to the doctor and ask for some pain relief....yes he's right you will be much better after the first week but if you can't sleep due to pain then your body will struggle to heal itself
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Richardecarson3 » 05 Apr 2017, 10:00

Thank you! Any good position to sleep you can recommended? I have had two knee surgery, broke my foot two times and this pain is the Worst I have ever had!!
Richardecarson3

Postby terrifiedinNY » 05 Apr 2017, 10:10

Hi Richard,

Since it's only been 1 full day post op, I think you just need to be patient and get lots of rest. I was given opiod painkillers but never used them, just Tylenol. I would recommend sleeping on your side (the opposite side of where your fistula was) or on your stomach. After 3-4 days it was more comfortable for me to sleep on my back.

It probably also depends on the type of fistula you had. Mine was very superficial and didn't involve the sphincter at all, so I can only assume it was less painful as a result.

Good luck to you!
terrifiedinNY
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Richardecarson3 » 05 Apr 2017, 10:12

Thank you for your feedback! Mine did involve the sphincter.
Richardecarson3

Postby terrifiedinNY » 05 Apr 2017, 10:23

I can't imagine what that feels like but I can only assume much worse. Either way, big improvements happen in the first week. Healing will slow down over time but the greatest improvement happens around Day 4, Day 7, and Day 10 - that's what the consensus seemed from others before I had surgery and also seemed to be spot on during my recovery.

Point of reference, I'm at something like 40 days post op and I still have drainage and swelling but at this point almost only after I have a bowel movement. Even now, each bowel movement results in less swelling and drainage than the one before but at a slow improvement.

If you look at my recovery diary on the first page of the fistula forum, I documented every day until about 2 weeks post op. It might help put your mind at more ease.
terrifiedinNY
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Richardecarson3 » 05 Apr 2017, 10:24

Thank you! I will look at it for sure!
Richardecarson3