Just had surgery today

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Just had surgery today

Postby Hafzaal » 21 Feb 2017, 13:32

Hello,

I thought Id share my experience for anyone considering surgery for a fissure+fistula since lets face it most of the discussions tend to focus on negative things and the people who usually feel good dont post much.

Anyhow, so I just got back home from surgery and I feel pretty normal except for a little discomfort obviously but there is no pain. Funny when I woke up from surgery, I asked the nurse if the procedure was even done since it didn't even feel like I had surgery (I guess reading the posts here made me more nervous than I should have.) The true test will be after my first bowel movement; got my fingers crossed for that.

I'll post my progress here so anyone interested can track it and get a feel of the procedure and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Just had surgery today

Postby chachacha » 21 Feb 2017, 13:42

Congrats on having the surgery done and I'm so happy to hear that you're doing well. Keep up the good work!

:Rock:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Savaici » 21 Feb 2017, 15:43

Good luck with your healing, and glad for you that the surgery is over!

:rainbow:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Hafzaal » 23 Feb 2017, 10:12

Had my first bowel movement after surgery today and im so glad that it was painless and no sight of blood either.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 23 Feb 2017, 12:10

So happy for you! It really is bizarre that we all cheer for good bowel movements now.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby terrifiedinNY » 25 Feb 2017, 06:41

You're lucky! Im day 3 post op and haven't had a BM yet despite all the recommendations of softeners, water, good diet, etc. I'm terrified to go because the site is still very sore and I have sutures in the area
terrifiedinNY
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Hafzaal » 25 Feb 2017, 10:08

terrifiedinNY wrote:You're lucky! Im day 3 post op and haven't had a BM yet despite all the recommendations of softeners, water, good diet, etc. I'm terrified to go because the site is still very sore and I have sutures in the area

I hope it goes well for you. I never took stool softeners because they never worked for me. I used Restoralax and it worked wonders. I would recommend you try that as well if stool softeners are not doing the trick. Best of luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby terrifiedinNY » 25 Feb 2017, 12:08

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I will try to find it. Anyone know if it's a bad idea to take an enema post-op? I tried having a BM when I woke this morning after taking miralax last night and the pain was too much. I bled a little bit. It seems the pain is coming mostly from the area where I am sutured, not the fistula tract itself. I know I have to go but I can't go another day like this... wonder if an enema would get me by without damage. :(
terrifiedinNY
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby GilmoreGirl » 25 Feb 2017, 12:24

Hi there,

I can't say for sure, as I haven't had any surgeries (yet!) but I often use an enema when I have difficulty going even with my anal fissure and constant pain, and my doctors seem to think it's a good choice, rather than straining and doing more damage.

I have a small bulb enema with a very narrow tip, I put lots of lubricant or Vaseline on the site and the tip, and use lukewarm water. It seems to do the trick - helps the anus to relax and the bm to be softer. You may also want to use the bulb to insert a small amount of lubricant, a gentle oil maybe.

I'm the worst case scenario, I've had a bm in a warm sitz bath...a little embarrassing but was necessary.

Hope that helps a little!

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Richardecarson3 » 05 Apr 2017, 09:42

Hello all, I had surgery on Monday and in a lot of pain. I cannot get comfortable any ideas on how to sleep? Also I called the doctor and he said I just have to make it throughout the first week, is that correct? Just need to know it's going to get better??

Thank you for your help
Richardecarson3