Few questions of LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Few questions of LIS?

Postby Cinderella » 25 Mar 2008, 09:55

I have decided to have LIS because my life is not valuable anymore with this pain. Secondly I have suffered 1,5 years already so I think that LIS is the only option in my case. Some questions for you who have had LIS as follows:
1. How many days after the surgery you had to use painkillers?
2. After how many days you were able to sit on chair for several hours?
3. How long sick leave would be needed? (Your own opinion)
4. Do you feel it by yourself that the surgery made your spinchter muscle looser?
5.Did you have any problems to hold gas immediately after the surgery? Or have faced any problems later on?
6.How soon after the surgery you started to feel better? (I mean that how many days after surgery you felt that your situation was better compared to the situation where you were before the operation.)
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Few questions of LIS?

Postby Guest » 25 Mar 2008, 10:52

Glad you've decided to go ahead with the LIS. 1.5 years is way too long to suffer.
I recently (12 days ago) had my LIS. You can read a little about my experience in both my 4 day post op and 8 day post op. The LIS went well unfortunately I developed an infection from the original fissure and I'm currently working on gettin that under control.
To answer your questions:
1. I had no need for painkiller eventhought the doc gave them to me. I really didn't have any excrutiating pain. I took Tylenol a few times in the days following the procedure but that is it.
2. After 2-3 days I was able to sit for an extended period without major discomfort.
3. I took 10 days. I think most people would agree with at least 10-14 days.
4. I don't feel any different except when having a BM. It does feel like things "flow" a little smoother.
5. No problems yet. Knock on wood.
6. If it was for the infection I'd thin I'd be feeling much better. After 4 days post op I noticed a big difference. Normal fissure pain was much duller.
Hope that helps. best of luck to you!

Postby buttgirl » 25 Mar 2008, 12:01

Cinderella wrote:1. How many days after the surgery you had to use painkillers?
1 day for vicoden, 5 days for ibuprofen--the main pain is the incision for me
2. After how many days you were able to sit on chair for several hours?
5 days to be comfortable
3. How long sick leave would be needed? (Your own opinion)
I took 2 weeks and am happy with that since I have a sit down job, but you could push it with one.
4. Do you feel it by yourself that the surgery made your spinchter muscle looser?
definitely and immediately
5.Did you have any problems to hold gas immediately after the surgery? Or have faced any problems later on?
none so far, though it definitely is easier to fart and poo
6.How soon after the surgery you started to feel better? (I mean that how many days after surgery you felt that your situation was better compared to the situation where you were before the operation.)
immediately and especially the next morning. It hurt less to poo the day following the surgery than the morning before the op. Pooing itself is more pleasant because the poo doesn't have to squeeze through the spasmy hole. I have normal size and even hard tipped poos now with no problems.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Mar 2008, 12:18

1. How many days after the surgery you had to use painkillers? I used mepergan for about a week, but only after a BM.
2. After how many days you were able to sit on chair for several hours? Maybe a week and a half.. I am not sure.
3. How long sick leave would be needed? (Your own opinion) I was told it was 2-3 week recovery time. But that varies, but you will need at least a week, I'd say.
4. Do you feel it by yourself that the surgery made your spinchter muscle looser? Oh yes, definitely!
5.Did you have any problems to hold gas immediately after the surgery? Or have faced any problems later on? For about six months I did have a "slight" probelm holding gas, but now that seems to be completely resolved.
6.How soon after the surgery you started to feel better? (I mean that how many days after surgery you felt that your situation was better compared to the situation where you were before the operation.) My sphincter spasms ended the day of the surgery! Image I had some burning during loose BMs in the days right after the surgery, but that was it. Just a soreness from the incision for a couple more weeks.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 25 Mar 2008, 19:10

1) I used only one Perkocet after surgery.
2) A week on a soft chair, two on little harder, 4 to sit on wood.
3) I would need 2 weeks, not just because of some discomfort, but to recuperate all together and get on schedule with BMs and food and stuff.
4)Yes
5)Not at all, now I even have to "press" for the gas to go out - actually I miss the first weeks when it required little effort LOL !!! Well, sorry for sharing - but that was a question LOL !!!
6) I felt 90% better immediately upon awakening !!!! Just couldn't believe it !!! I waited whole day for things to go wrong or pain to return but NO !!! There was some pain during first BM - like sore muscle pain , but CAN NOT EVEN BE COMPARED WITH FISSURE PAIN !!!!! So, after surgery I felt like "born again" !!! It was really magical - I hated my self for not having it done sooner !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby small_flower » 25 Mar 2008, 21:12

I only used painkillers for 3-5 days after my surgery.
As for sitting, it was something I avoided doing for quite awhile, particularly on hard chairs. I gave it at least 2 weeks.
Took me about a week to get back on my feet, and about 2 weeks again to start feeling normal.
I havent noticed a difference in how loose the sphincter muscle feels, but I do not have any of the spasms that I used to. That was the major difference I felt, aside from the obvious lack of pain when I went to the bathroom.
Gas for me has been an issue but I think its due to the high fiber. I certainly have no trouble controlling it, its just that there is more of it. Image Nothing related to the surgery, just the high fiber diet.
After the surgery, almost immediately. My first BM was not nearly as painful and as time went by, things just kept getting better!
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2008, 05:38

1. How many days after the surgery you had to use painkillers?9-10 days.
2. After how many days you were able to sit on chair for several hours? 10-12 days
3. How long sick leave would be needed? (Your own opinion)3 weeks.
4. Do you feel it by yourself that the surgery made your spinchter muscle looser?Yes.
5.Did you have any problems to hold gas immediately after the surgery? Or have faced any problems later on?No & No.
6.How soon after the surgery you started to feel better? (I mean that how many days after surgery you felt that your situation was better compared to the situation where you were before the operation.)2 weeks

Postby Cinderella » 27 Mar 2008, 13:44

Thank you very much for everyone for your answers.
Kim, what kind of problems did you have regarding gas? If it appropriate to ask. Did you face any problems in social situations? That what I am mostly scared of.
After I started to have AF problems I have not been able to pass gas silently. If I need to pass gas I have to push it very hard and it keeps noise therefore I just have to keep gas inside (if I am not alone) which causes quite often horrible stomach pain especially at work. I hope that LIS will also help me with this. Especially now when I eat high fibre diet this is a problem.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Mar 2008, 15:39

You have to press because your sphincter is too tight. The ease of gas going out was the best parameter that I used to measure the effectiveness of creams and the status of my sphincter. So, if the "loudness" is your concern - with LIS if it comes out without control it is silent LOL !!! During first 2 weeks I was able to do that - to control gas or let it go at will, but it would come out completely silent and without effort. Now that my sphincter regenerated somewhat (and I am not so very happy about it - I don't want to become tight-ass again #$%^%^$#@), it is under UBER control and when I want to let it go I have to press and it has a sound - of course, because you press air through tight opening - same as how "wind instruments" work LOL !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Mar 2008, 16:00

Of course it is appropriate to ask about my gas, Cindy! I seemed to have the problem of eating, then going into my night class to teach only to find that I would gently, almost-but-not-quite-silently toot a bit occasionally, so yes it did happen in social situations, but that ended after the six or seventh month point. And it wasn't anything constant, just when it did happen of course I was horrified.
It didn't help that I stayed on a high-fiber diet!
Deleted User 5