saw doctor today

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

saw doctor today

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 17:18

I went to the surgeon today about the bleeding. Actually, it stopped again over the weekend, but I kept the appt. because I know it'll come back. Seems to after a week or so.
She said again it could be internal hemorrhoids. I reminded her that she had mentioned yeast before and she again said it could be that. I asked if there was a swab test she could do and she said no.
I told her when I go poo, it burns, feels scratchy, and there's a little sting. I don't think she was listening to me because she said because it's painless bleeding, it's probably internal hemorrhoids and wanted to give me an Anusol suppository. But, before that, she said I need to have a colonoscopy because of not being able to pinpoint what's causing the bleeding and that my iron level is down. Anyway, I reminded her that I had just said it wasn't painless bleeding. She looked at me confused and then said, oh okay, well then instead of the suppository I want you to get a prescription for Lotrosone cream which is for yeast and has a steroid in it for inflammation. And no more nitro cream unless I have a sharp tearing pain like I had in January. I didn't tell her that I had tried the MOM, but just asked her what she thought of it. She looked really upset and said no way do you take that. It'll make the colon lazy. Geesh!
So, I had to call my primary to get a referral to a gastro for a colonoscopy. Got an appt. for next Monday in the afternoon for it. The last time I had one (5 years ago) for anemia at the time, I had to go meet the doctor first and then set up the appt. It probably took a good month to get it done. But, this outpatient place I called set the appt. up for the actual test and I don't even go see the doctor first. I was told a nurse will call me with instructions in the next couple of days. So, I have no idea who the doctor even is. I thought he would want to meet me and ask me what my history is.
Oh well, I'm bummed. I figured it would come up in the next couple of years because I'll turn 50. But, I should have known with the bleeding not going away and now the iron level being down.
Not looking forward to the prep with butt problems.
Julie

Re: saw doctor today

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 17:22

Oh, I forgot I wanted to ask if anyone has had to use Lotrisone cream? I just read about it and hate that the side effects include irritation of the skin, burning, etc.
Julie

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 17:24

Julie,
Good luck with the gastro. I know the bleeding can be scary. I had it for a few days. Is this a general surgeon or a CRS? I am not sure she helped you at all. Have you seen a CRS? Just wondering. There is no way I would use a suppository OOOOOO NOOOOO. But good luck and keep us posted.
Take Care,
Patty

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 17:30

She's a general surgeon. I can't find a CRS near me. So, I'm sort of stuck with her right now. I know I about died when she said she wanted me to use a suppository and am glad I was able to talk her out of that.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Mar 2008, 18:00

Did she even say you were tight down there? I can see why you are so anxious about the colonoscopy. I have been putting mine off. It sure doesn't sound like she is interested in treating hemorrhoids at all. I am sure they will inspect your pain zones in your anal canal in addition to your colon...?????
Deleted User 5

Postby itsapain » 31 Mar 2008, 18:10

im a reader more than poster
but you situation is like mine,
i also have a friend who is a surgeon. so i got my appt for colonoscopy set for next teusday
my CRS is so busy she cant do a scope till sept, and i dont want to wait that long
no interview, no questions, just the nurse will send me out papers, get my prep monday, then show up at the hospital teusday..
i was told at that point i can talk to the doctor etc. ( in my case, my friend knows this doctor, so im alittle more comfortable with the situation, and ive had scopes before, etc)
goodluck and i will be posting my results afterwards etc
itsapain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 18:17

No, she didn't even check me this time. She's seen me twice and checked me both times, so I was surprised she didn't check again. She's never said anything about being tight down there. I just think she doesn't want to mess with me until someone else tells her what's causing the bleeding. After we left the room and she was making out the prescription, she said she could have done an anoscope, but as long as I'm going to have a colonoscopy there was no point. I guess I'm starting to get used to the idea of the colonoscopy because I would like to know if there's anything else going on. I have had somewhat of a sick stomach since December and haven't been very hungry. I just figured it was because of all the fiber I'm taking or just being nervous from seeing blood on the TP so often. And it probably is.
I think I could live with bleeding hemorrhoids if I knew that was it. After all the things I've read about the pain of having them removed, I'm not sure I want to deal with that. I would just like to know if that's what it is and then maybe I wouldn't worry so much when I see blood as long as there isn't too much pain.
I don't know if you remember but when I first came here I had been told by my primary that I had fissures, but when I went to this surgeon, she said I didn't, just small cuts that heal and come back and heal, etc. But, today I thought it was interesting that the nurse asked me if I was there for a followup of my fissures as she was looking at my chart. So, somewhere on that chart is says the word fissures. I'm so confused!

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 18:22

Thanks, itsapain. I just thought it was weird to not have a consultation beforehand.
Hope all goes well with your colonoscopy. I'll probably be lazy on Tuesday and on the computer alot. So, I'll be checking in to see how you did.
Julie

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Mar 2008, 18:33

I can see why you'd be confused, because I certainly was in reading your post. But I think maybe you are right, she wants to have someone else look at it and find out. But not knowing what is causing the bleeding can be upsetting.
Try not to let it be. As long as it is bright red, it's at least nothing serious, in all likelihood. Do count yourself fortunate that at least for now it's not the horrible, excruciating, debilitating pain it could be. So do try to develop a "teflon coating" in your attitude when you see the blood. It's just a symptom, that's all.
I hope you get some real information next week!
Good luck to you, too, Itsapain!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2008, 18:41

Thanks, Kim! I'm really going to try to relax about this as much as possible. I know it's not helping any to be worried about it. I'll just be glad to have another doctor doing the procedure and maybe getting some answers.
The doctor said today that she wanted to make sure it wasn't something farther up that was bleeding. And I questioned her about that because this is just a slight bit of bright red blood on the TP. She said it could be a problem even if it is red blood. I just can't get past the idea that it's just hemorrhoids, a fissure, or chapped skin.