IBS, hemorrhoids and an anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

IBS, hemorrhoids and an anal fissure

Postby runner99 » 13 Apr 2017, 09:46

Hi all,

I'm a little embarrassed to be talking about this but I've had enough.

A little bit of back story:

- I've had a hemorrhoid on and off for the past year and a half, it started bugging me more than usual in late January/early February 2017
- Went to the gastroenterologist in mid February, she examined me and prescribed miralax to keep the stools soft as prior to that I was very irregular and my stools were hard
- I start taking the miralax and I keep monitoring the size of the hemorrhoid and notice another one popping up, as well as a fissure.
- The miralax was working to keep me pretty regular and keep the stools soft, up until about March 28th. I kept taking a .5 oz pack every night but didn't pass a BM until April 2nd.
- That night I had terrible pain from the swelling of the hemorrhoids. I decided to take a break from the miralax.Then, for the next week until April 9th I had diarrhea, cramping, bloating, nausea and no appetite.
- On Saturday the 8th I passed 3 BM's within two hours. I decided the sitz baths on the toilet with the little tub wasn't working enough, so I got into my bathtub and soaked in warm water. That helped the swelling immensely.
- So, since Saturday, April 8th, I've been taking a warm bath for 45 min-1 hour every day (usually after a BM) It is helping control the swelling and the pain/burning of the fissure after a BM.
- Although my BM's aren't so incredibly loose anymore, I get such an uncomfortable feeling before I pass them. I don't know if that's because of my IBS or if I'm just anxious because I know it's going to hurt.
- So, now I have two hemorrhoids that I'm trying to treat and an anal fissure.
I want to try hydrocortisone on them but I'm apprehensive because I know it can cause bleeding/thinning of the skin if used long term. I also have recticare and nupercainal I can try, only problem is I can't use them directly after a BM because it just burns.

If anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated. I've had to miss school because of this. I'm going to try benefiber as a replacement for the miralax. I've already passed two BM's today and it's only 10:30 am.

Thank you for any advice,
-runner99
runner99
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: IBS, hemorrhoids and an anal fissure

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Apr 2017, 10:37

Hi sorry to hear your suffering
I would advise going to see a CRS as they tend to be much more knowledgeable about hems and fissures than a GI
The baths are great for helping with the pain. I'm sorry I can't help with the BMs but I struggle the other way with mine and don't have much knowledge of stool softener or laxatives.
As regards the hydrocortisone that won't help the fissure...probably won't hurt it in the short term. But you would be better with a cream like GTN or diliatzem specifically for fissures especially if you are having spasms
I use colodial silver on my hems as it really brings the swelling down.
Hope you get this sorted soon
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20