First AF and starting to get worn down

Introduction

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

First AF and starting to get worn down

Postby RickInSoCal » 24 Aug 2017, 15:42

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and the world of AF's. I have had severe pain for about 3-4 months now and have been "officially" diagnosed just last week with an AF. Had my first colonoscopy last week and the prep was absolute torture (as you all know well enough). I have an appointment scheduled for next week with a Gastroenterologist to discuss treatment plans. Any pointers you can give me would be great prior to meeting with him. My fiance says I should just call my Primary Care physician and start demanding different prescriptions but I almost prefer to talk with the Gastroenterologist first to see what he prescribes. Any thoughts on that? So far I am taking Myrolax and Fiber pills, drinking lots of water, avoiding certain foods, and obviously taking lots of sitz baths. Since I had a colonoscopy last week I have had to stop taking Ibuprofin the week prior (which seemed to help with the extreme pain a little) and they removed a polyp so now I have to avoid Ibuprofin for another 2 weeks. My Primary dr prescribed norco for the pain relief but I try my best not to take it unless the pain is too extreme because I know it can make me constipated. I have also tried the 5% lidocaine cream which really doesn't seem to help much and I have stopped taking suppositories because those just seemed to make things worse (although occasionally provides some relief). I honestly am just ready for surgery just to get my life back. Any suggestions would be great. I have also started using zink oxide in hopes it will help heal things faster but that has just been for the past couple days.

Thanks for the support!

Rick
RickInSoCal

Topics: 1

Re: First AF and starting to get worn down

Postby julianalconte » 24 Aug 2017, 16:40

Hi Rick! Sorry you are going through this. AFs are not fun as we all know! I also had a colonoscopy which made everything hurt more and made it worse. A lot of the pain you feel is your muscle getting tight and going into spasm after BMs. What helped me A LOT was Diltiazem 2% ointment. You only apply it externally so you don't have to worry about suppositories and causing yourself more pain. Basically, what the ointment does is loosen the muscle so you will have less pain. I could barely tell I had my fissure when I was using it! However, because I waited too long to start using it and tried too many things that just didn't work, it didn't help heal my fissure. It is worth a shot to use it for a few months and see if your fissure heals! The thing is, after a few months of using the ointment every day, the skin became itchy with some small bumps. When I stopped using it, the pain quickly came back. Just so you know, the Diltaizem is typically made in a specialty pharmacy. I am not sure if your primary or GI doctor will know of it. I wasn't made aware of it until I had my initial consultation with a colorectal surgeon. Let me know if I can answer more questions!
julianalconte
Fibre Addict