Botox - 1 Month After Second Treatment

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox - 1 Month After Second Treatment

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Apr 2008, 21:40

Hey, everyone. Hope you're all doing well. Just wanted to give an update on my progress, which, to my surprise, has been substantial.
I had my first set of botox shots in mid-January. I didn't seen much improvement for the first month. My doctor then put me on Kristalose (a.k.a. lactulose, an osmotic laxative) to soften my poo more. I started supplementing this with about a tablespoon of milk of magnesia at night. Two months after my first set of shots, I got my second set (mid March). When she gave me the second shots, she told me I was already healed quite a bit.
I had a check-up today and my doctor told me that I'm totally healed. In fact, she couldn't really even see where the fissure had been. I'm not celebrating too much, though. I've been tricked by a false sense of healing before. I will continue taking the kristalose for a long time. I may also continue taking the MOM, although my doc wants me to get a blood test to make sure i'm not overdosing on magnesium.
The effects of the second set of botox shots will wear off in about two months, so who knows what will happen then. But for now, every time I take a poo and don't have pain or see blood, it's like a mini miracle.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: Botox - 1 Month After Second Treatment

Postby Jen » 25 Apr 2008, 22:19

Steve -
Hey! I am glad your feeling so much better! I have been wondering about you alot lately! I think you are wise to keep taking the laxatives and stay on guard at all times - now thats its healed, the tough part is to keep it healed.
I have also been doing well. The nitro is a Godsend. I can't believe how much better it works than that crappy nifedipine (well for me anyway).
A magnesium overdose? That is kind of scary since so many people use MOM so often. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Keep us updated! It's great to hear success stories!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Apr 2008, 22:35

Hey, Jen. Glad to hear you're doing better too! That's great. Yeah, Nifedipine did nothing for me either.
My doctor was just exaggerating a bit when she used the word "overdose" -- I think she just wants to make sure my magnesium levels aren't too high. I'm not concerned about it. I think she's being too careful -- I know lots of people on the board use it pretty regularly. If my magnesium levels do happen to be high, i'll repost to the board to let people know.
You know, I won't really consider myself a success story until I'm healed for about six months. I'll keep you all posted.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2008, 12:06

Wow- Steve that is wonderful news!!! This calls for a celebration!

But I know you never quite feel out of the woods until time has passed and you have many days of healing under your belt (pun intended).

I am interested about the mag overdose too. If anyone would be a candidate for this, it would be me as I take mag supplements and I take MOM. Is kristalose like lactulose?

Good to hear from you-now you can change your mood. You have been moored for almost a year now!

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 26 Apr 2008, 12:37

Hey, Lecia! Yeah, kristalose is like lactulose...in fact, the box says "Kristalose (lactulose)" so I think kristalose is just the brand name. I take one 10g packet a day in the morning after breakfast, mixed with about 4 ounces of water. It has helped more than anything else to keep my stool softer (and wetter/slicker). My doc says I can take it forever if I want.
My doc only suggested the blood test after I specifically asked if it was okay to take MOM long term. So I think she's just being cautious.
How are you doing?
(Mood and Avatar have been updated)
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2008, 14:19

It's about time you changed it! I remember not too long ago you were about ready to accept that you were always going to have to live with this. I am glad you proved yourself wrong!

I tried lactulose-I actually have the syrup. The syrup gave me really bad cramps. I wonder if the powder would be better.

Let me know what you learn about the blood test.

I am doing okay. I had a check up this week and the incision from the fistula surgery is healing-about what he expected it would look like a month out-so that is good. Still hurts but it is improving, which is something I haven't been able to say for a long time!

Your mood is too funny!

Postby Jo » 26 Apr 2008, 16:28

Image Hi Steve,
It's great to hear some positive news! Image
I am pretty new here and things for me have been discouraging this week. I have 5 weeks to wait till my doc will let me try the botox.
It is so good to hear that it is working for you! Image
I tried the lactulose once and I couldn't even be in the same room with anybody.
Image wow did I get alot of gas Image
Take care, Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2008, 18:26

Steve!
Great to hear you are doing well!! I know how you feel about being cautious when they say you are fully healed. I will be having my third round of Botox May 12. I had a minor setback of pain and bleeding, nothing like before though. I think it helps alot so good for you and being fully healed. You are now the Botox king!!! Keep in touch.
Take Care,
Patty

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Apr 2008, 19:54

Wow, Steve. That sure is super news! No one deserves it more than you! Yes, by all means watch the diet and everything because they do have a tendency of coming back, without even being invited!
Deleted User 5

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 27 Apr 2008, 14:26

Thanks everyone!
Lecia, glad to hear you're improving! Yeah, maybe the powder lactulose would have a different effect. I know that when I first started taking liquid MOM, it upset my stomach (even tho the container says "cramp free"). The kristalose never seemed to have adverse effects.
Jo, hang in there. I definitely know how discouraging this thing can be. I waited 8 months before trying botox (during that time I was jumping from doc to doc, trying creams, stool softeners, baths, and various diets). As Lecia mentioned, I never thought I would have as much progress as I've had recently.
Kim, thanks for the words. Yeah, my healthy eating habits are here to stay. I'm also exercising (power walking or weights) almost every day, which is also helping to keep things moving through my digestive system.
steve
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist