6 months post partum fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

6 months post partum fissure

Postby Katielady125 » 15 Oct 2017, 02:00

Hi there. I found this forum sitting in the bath at 12:30am trying to get my bum to stop hurting so I could sleep.

I had my first baby last March. A few weeks after delivery I had one epically large BM and things got messy.

I had had a small fissure once before that healed by itself so I ate some yogurt, drank some water and tried to not worry. It got worse.
It hurt for 10 hours after a BM and sitting up to breastfeed was extra painful.
And not to ruin anyone’s appetite but there was a LOT of blood.

After three months I went to my GP and she referred me to a gastro doc. They wanted to try a topical steroid but were wary because I was breastfeeding. So they made some calls and piddled around for a couple weeks while I suffered and then went ahead and prescribed them.

They eased some of my pain and helped with the heavy bleeding but as soon as the dose ran out everything came right back.

They did a colonoscopy and confirmed a fissure, a couple hemmeroids and removed some polyps. They gave me a nitro glycerin ointment to use twice a day and scheduled me for another colonoscopy to remove a larger polyp they found. (Biopsied-Non cancerous thank goodness)

The ointment is helping. I’ve been using it about three months now. The pain and spasms have gotten tolerable and sometimes there is only a tiny bit of blood on my TP when I have a BM. However it is not healed and I still have pain like today. I go in for my next colonoscopy this week.

I’m taking my meds and doing what the doc says but I’m here because I feel like I can be doing more to help myself through diet and exercise and possibly other things too. I owe it to my baby to be as healthy and active as possible.
Katielady125

Topics: 1

Re: 6 months post partum fissure

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Oct 2017, 14:14

Hi there, sounds like you're going through a lot with a new baby and a fissure on top of everything. Do ask the doctor to take care not to reinjure your fissure during the colonoscopy. There are many useful ideas on this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1849 on strategies for making life more bearable with a fissure.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40