Post partum fissures

Zofran is the devil.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Post partum fissures

Postby Bootifulaf » 07 May 2020, 16:00

Hello.

Sad to be here, happy I’ve found you all. I am 4 months post partum and made it through a vaginal birth with only 2nd degree tears. It never hurt to pee or poo.

I never suffered from constipation until I took zofran, a powerful anti nausea drug (yes it works, no I will never take it again). I was so constipated after giving birth from IV zofran during labor that I tore myself having the first post labor bm about 6 days after giving birth.

I was treated for hroids (because I can’t spell hemmhorroid?) with a suppository called a rectal rocket. It was the most excruciating pain I’ve ever been in. I’d rather give birth 1000 times back to back. Long story short, I didn’t have hemmroids, but had fissures. So I shoved the medicated suppository into my tears and held it there as directed, 2 nights in a row, further ripping and damaging my tissue. Doctors orders?

I’m still suffering from the pain of the fissures after every bm and all day. Some days when it happens all I can do is cry and hold my baby girl.

I went to a proctologist, horribly painful exam, and have tried two creams, neither has worked, along with 3 stool softeners a day plus mirilax to keep poo soft.

It doesn’t matter if I give myself the runs, it still hurts. This is the only pain I’ve known that takes away my will to live.

I do not want to have surgery. Any dietary tips other than “eat tons of fiber”? Has anyone had success with plant based or vegetarian diets? I’m willing to try anything if I can avoid surgery. Once I’ve tried everything I’ll feel like the surgery will be worth it.... but until then, I’m terrified and willing to try anything.

I should mention I do sitz baths on bad days 2 times a day sometimes. It hurts to ride in the car. Sometimes it hurts even when I haven’t had a bm for the day. I’m bad about water intake but trying so hard to keep up. Still breast feeding so it gets very tricky.

Any advice appreciated.
Bootifulaf
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Post partum fissures

Postby Coconutoil » 08 May 2020, 13:34

How did the exam go? I just made an appointment with a proctologist and they said they will do a digital exam and with a scope. I’m so scared of that pain since I have bleeding during bm’s. Did you have bleeding?
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby Bootifulaf » 08 May 2020, 14:00

The exam was brief but painful. I did not get a scope and wish that maybe they had. I still feel like I haven’t gotten great information. The doctor never mentioned diet change or water intake... or breastfeeding making this more difficult to heal... I hope you get answers!
Bootifulaf
Fibre Addict

Postby eklmaria » 08 May 2020, 19:46

Sorry you are dealing with this! Have you tried nifedipine?
eklmaria
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby sean530 » 10 May 2020, 11:25

Doctors are often extremely apathetic and this seems to be the case in your visit.
The following info may be TMI but only sharing since eit may help.
For me bm is now a ritual. I have a hose with warm water I use to relax the sphincter then there is a an ointment I use to lubricate the passage. Finally hope to God there isn't a new tear trying hard to relax and at the same clenching the hole while straining a bit.(i knowhow this sounds), Works like 90% of the time. If the poop is hard then I Don a glove and well......go for manual...extraction.
sean530
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Coconutoil » 12 May 2020, 12:21

I feel like if I get the runs that sets me back in healing. A bigger but soft bm doesn’t hurt as much. My appointment was moved today and with everything going on they are only doing a video conference. So will probably just be told stool softeners and have a cream. I see rectiv on here a lot and hope that works for me. We’ll see.
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby Bootifulaf » 12 May 2020, 14:37

Good luck! Conferencing won’t hurt at least.

Has anyone had luck with a cream called Pranicura?
Bootifulaf
Fibre Addict

Postby Coconutoil » 17 May 2020, 00:26

How are you feeling? Nope the video conference worked out. From what I read on here I knew I needed the nitroglycerin and that’s what he prescribed. Hoping it works. But I’m noticing it does help with the pain and pressure I have after a bm.
Coconutoil
Salt Bather