Elective C Section after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Elective C Section after LIS

Postby ladybird » 12 Dec 2017, 11:18

Hi everyone, I am new here, this is my first post! Came across the forum today after googling about this topic.

I am 34 weeks pregnant. In 2008, I had a LIS after years of chronic anal fissure, where I tried every cream and pessary they had and it had gotten to the stage the loo was covered in blood and I was shouting out in pain and almost throwing up/passing out. It was the most miserable thing and it drained me a lot (I have ME and it just seemed to make me even more tired and in even more pain etc) Eventually, I had the LIS, had a little trouble after it with infection and then around a year later with more bleeding, but eventually it cleared up. The consultant I saw back then had advised a C Section if having children, due to the risk of the remaining muscle being damaged and causing me to become incontinent.

So here I am now, not far away from my due date, and I have mentioned the above (plus my ME etc) to the midwives and consultants since day 1. The first time I went to antenatal clinic and discussed it, the registrar said they would need to contact the colorectal consultant who had told me that and ask for his input. The next time I visited, I asked if they had heard back and the consultant (not my named one) said there was nothing on my file, no one had contacted the colorectal department and he felt there was no point as the colorectal team wouldn't advise either way, they would say it was up to me. He gave me the C Section consent form, said to have a think and bring it back to next appointment. Today was the appointment and it was my actual named consultant for first time. He was very disparaging about my choice. Pointed out people with MS and who are paralysed from neck down have natural births and sort of accused me of trying to take easy way out. He didn't see the fissure/incontinence as a risk at all. He has booked me in for the section after a good while of talking to me like a child. I just let him get on with it.

Thing is, now I feel really crappy for my choice, which I was 100% confident in beforehand, and had felt supported in up until today. If I had known I would have been made to feel like this, I would have just contacted the colorectal clinic myself to ask if there was anything in my notes or to go see the consultant for him to assess the area and advise.

I feel as though I am making the right decision for me and baby. The thought of the fissure pain again, daily for months or years, makes me want to lie down and howl. The thought of being fecally incontinent is devastating. I've also tried to factor in my ME, I'm trying to keep things manageable so I can be there for my baby and make this as positive an experience as I can. On top of that, I have mental health issues including severe anxiety and borderline OCD, so I need a certain level of organisation/control to stop me going off the edge, and I have spent months prepping for section under the impression it was fine to make that choice.

Has anyone else chosen a section after LIS? I'm hoping there are some people who may have been through similar on here.

Thanks for listening

Lou
ladybird

Topics: 1

Re: Elective C Section after LIS

Postby ladybird » 12 Dec 2017, 11:55

Should probably mention that since LIS I don't have the same bowel control, when I need to go, I need to go...I can hold for maybe a couple of mins but anything longer, I would end up having an accident, so what terrifies me is how much more damage might be done to this already weakened muscle with a natural birth!
ladybird

Topics: 1

Postby Water Bear » 12 Dec 2017, 17:05

Hi Lou, I haven't had a baby yet but I wanted to respond and say I completely understand your decision to have a c-section after LIS.

I am very glad to have had the LIS as it has ended months of misery for me. My partner and I want to start our family soon. If I do manage to become pregnant I will be asking a lot of questions about whether I should have a c-section and if I have a big baby I will definitely be asking for one!

Before having the LIS I did a lot of reading - and worrying! - about whether having it was a good choice given I am yet to have babies.

I read one review article on Google Scholar that said around 11% of women get an injury to the anal sphincter from childbirth and another article that said it's up to one in five. So your concerns are totally valid!

Of course a c-section is no walk in the park either, but, as you say, it is a controlled process. It's your body, and your baby. Don't let one doctor make you feel bad about your choice.
Water Bear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Amandanicole95 » 24 Nov 2018, 01:16

Any update? Did you have the C section? I’m wondering for myself because Hubby and Inare trying to conceive Baby #2 and I had LIS surgery last year!!
Amandanicole95
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3