1 year later, LIS + skin tag removal

My tips

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1 year later, LIS + skin tag removal

Postby 15yearfissure » 24 Dec 2017, 10:53

I owe it to all who have posted and given me hope to post what I have learned.

1. Get more than 1 opinion before surgery. I wish I had done this! I didn’t know I had more options than what the surgeon quickly recommended.
2. Don’t have your anal skin tags removed too! I had so many that he practically had to make me a new anus. I really believe the surgery wouldn’t have been so hard if it would have been a simple LIS. I was in bed from my morning bowel movements time until about 2 pm daily for 7-8 weeks. My Meds didn’t even touch the pain, just made me sleepy. It was excruciating.
3. If you can afford it, invest in a fancy Japanese toilet. This was the best gift I have ever received! It helped my recovery immensely. Warm seat, sprays gentle water to clean the area, even dries the area, no toilet paper required. Seriously amazing.
3. The only thing that helped my pain was getting directly in a hot hot bath (with Netflix) and then going directly to sleep.
4. Plenty of water and become a plant-based eater/vegan. It’s just the easiest way to manage the food. Dairy and meat still cause me bouts of constipation when I indulge. As does stress.
5. Now that I’m healed up, I still hard stools now and then. If I have pain after hard movements, coconut oil applied topically am-pm helps me heal quickly.
6. Don’t give up! Those were some dark days! As a busy mom of 4 my healing took forever, maybe 8+ months.
7. Get a Squatty potty-essential
All my love to my fellow silent sufferers. Life does improve, it is dang hard to heal a body part that you have to keep using every day!
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 1 year later, LIS + skin tag removal

Postby missy moo » 23 Jan 2018, 13:39

Hi happy you are healed the 3 surgeon's I've seen all said removing the skin tags just ups your risk of infection after surgery and is just a second wound an not needed and mine only clears up if my fissure does first so if I do away with the fissure the skin tag won't be a problem
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby missy moo » 03 Jul 2018, 00:01

Hey so you can have harder bms now without retearing? Because your muscle can stretch now?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby 15yearfissure » 03 Jul 2018, 01:20

My doc says I am all healed up though occasionally I still bleed. Although any bleeding now is super minimal and never in the bowl, just a little on the paper. The tricky part is not pushing, I don’t think I can do that. I work really hard to keep stools loose.
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 03 Jul 2018, 05:36

Do you take any softners or added fiber or just good diet
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby 15yearfissure » 03 Jul 2018, 07:38

Ever night I take calm:the anti-stress drink (for magnesium) and psyllium husk and a stool softener. Lots of water, 5 days a week exercise, clean eating, managing stress. Also probiotics. Oatmeal everyday for breakfast, fruit or veggies with every meal.
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 10 Jul 2018, 14:24

15yearfissure, that's great news that you are feeling better. I agree with many of your tips. I find Netflix/YouTube in a hot sitz bath to be a nice treat for having completed a BM. Something to look forward to :)

I also agree that plant based eating helps a lot. I have ditched red meat, dairy, rice and pasta and I'm finding that my intestine as a whole feels much better and BMs are smoother. I still have to take laxatives twice a week and a daily probiotic, but I'm getting my life back and that is what counts.

Coconut oil helps me too. I need to work on doing more exercise and practicing stress-reducing breathing exercises on a daily basis too. Keeping the fissure at bay really does require permanent lifestyle changes!
Deleted User 7114

Postby Naina » 22 Nov 2018, 08:51

I had lis with tag removel 11 days ago
Today was the first day i jad no pain while pooping but then comes extreme poking on my left side the whole day.
Feels like some sharp object is constantly poking my skin.
Is it normal?
Naina
Salt Bather

Postby 15yearfissure » 22 Nov 2018, 10:04

I am so sorry! That didn’t happen to me. I would call your doc to check.
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Naina » 22 Nov 2018, 10:19

She said it's healing
Naina
Salt Bather