Upcoming keloid removal surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Upcoming keloid removal surgery

Postby Jo » 28 May 2008, 18:33

Hi all,
I am a little nervous Image because I am having surgery to remove a 7 1/2 inch keloid scar from my abdomen on Friday. Not sure if they will do a spinal or general anesthesia yet. I am worried this may set me backwards with the fissures, etc. The Dr. wants me to avoid having too many pain meds which can cause constipation, and today asked me how my pain tolerance was. I used to think it was high until my fissure and hemmoroid surgery, I'm not sure anymore. Also general anesthesia could slow down the digestive system, so I am thinking spinal may be a better option.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: Upcoming keloid removal surgery

Postby Guest » 28 May 2008, 18:46

Hi Jo,
Sorry to hear you have to have more surgery. I have had general anestesia 3 times this year so I know the fear of becoming constipated. I do end up missing a day of having a BM but it's not like we will really be eating that much that day so there shouldn't be too much stool in there especially if you can go before the surgery.

I took some extra MOM though and that seemed to help. I never had a hard poo but the first time it didn't seem to want to come.

The other thing that crossed my mind is to ask if you have to have the surgery now? Is there any risk to delaying it until you bottom feels more healed?

Postby Jo » 28 May 2008, 19:02

Thanks Lecia,
I really appreciate your advice and comments.
I could wait, but I've already postponed it twice in the last 3 1/2 months and rescheduled. Hoping I don't regret doing it but I just want to get it done with because the scar is bothering me and painful everyday. I am hoping that I can heal from this and the fissure at the same time. I really want to be healthy this summer and hopefully painfree. This past year has been trying physically Image and mentally and I really hope this works.
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 28 May 2008, 21:38

good luck jo.
in prep for your surgery and anticipation of your first BM afterwards, i guess it would be good to start eating very light but enough to get your nutrients all in your system to help with the surgery and stuff....but enough that it also won't add to your constipation worries.
here's to a successful surgery and to a continued progress in your healthy and happy summer.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Jen » 28 May 2008, 22:10

Jo -
Good luck with everything! My advise would be to take MOM everyday until things get on track. I had a bit of constipation this weekend and I took MOM for four days in a row. You can never be too careful. Image
Did you get your scar from a C-section? I want another baby, but I am so scared of a C-section. I feel with my butt history, a C-section is the best choice for me.
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :'\;redbud:
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2008, 22:18

Jo - good luck Image I can completely understand your fear and concern
Image . One of the reasons I decided to have the LIS was the thought that if I need to have surgery in the future I will not have to worry bout fissure on top of everything - but now I see that it will always be a concern for me too.
Just take MOM as a precaution or Colace, whatever works for you and I am sure you will be fine :elmo: I am so sorry that you need a surgery but if it is going to take away the pain - it is worth it ! Fissure is enough by itself Image .
I wish you best of luck during the procedure and let us know ASAP how it went and how are you feeling !
:tinky:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 29 May 2008, 06:37

Dear Jo
I do wish you well for Friday
If you can do the fissure and hemmoroid surgery, Friday will be a walk in the park you will see !
Goodluck :)

Postby Jo » 29 May 2008, 07:33

Thank you to all,
Your well wishes make me feel better already!
It is uplifting to hear positive and caring comments.
:D Happy A. - I appreciate your thoughts. I will try to eat lightly today, avoid meat, cheese, etc. Do you think I should avoid fiber supplements?
:hi: Jen,
I did have a c-section years ago that did not leave a keloid scar, I had three 10 pound babies after that normally! The c-section just takes a little longer to recover from, but it is great if you don't have to go through the labor and pain of childbirth! Probably wouldn't be good for you to be pushing and getting more butt problems.
Last summer I needed to have an emergency surgery for a large (15 cm) cyst which they thought may have been cancer. Thankfully it was not cancer, it is great not to have to worry about that...unfortunately my scar has been acting up since surgery. It is vertical instead of horizontal, up past my belly button and down all the way.
Image fiss & tabby, Thanks, I will continue with the miralax, also.
Thanks for everything, you guys are great! Not sure yet if they will keep me overnight, I'll let everyone know how it goes this weekend.
Image Image
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby buttgirl » 29 May 2008, 09:50

Hi Jo,
i would go for the general. I had a spinal once and my back hurt for 6 mos afterwards. It was scary. I would just be sure to prep your bowels. Eat little the day before, the day of and the day after. also take a little extra MOM. that's what I did and I was fine.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby cherylk » 29 May 2008, 12:51

Good luck, Jo. Hope everything goes well for you.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46