2nd LIS...unsuccessful

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 2nd LIS...unsuccessful

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2008, 13:33

I went for my appt. today - looks like I'm going for LIS #3 next Thursday. The other options were to continue with the nifedipine or botox, but since the nifedipine has not helped and the botox didn't work before, we decided it would be pointless. He did tell me that there was a chance he would have to do another LIS or as he calls it a "cheap spincterotomy". I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have to have another one, however, I like the fact that he is conservative and does not want to risk cutting too much, which is why I will go back for another. The most he's ever done on someone is 4!! Yikes!! I hope the 3rd time is a charm for me. I asked him at what point would he stop doing them, and he said when your pressure becomes normal (which it's not).

I hope I'm doing the right thing - but I trust this guy and will pray that this time it works.

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2008, 14:19

Dear Nancy,
Really sorry to read your news...
You sound very postive about the 3rd surgery and it sounds like you have a good doctor who you can trust...
Wishing you well....3rd time lucky !

Postby buttgirl » 03 Jun 2008, 16:56

good luck on thurs Nancy.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2008, 17:26

Yes, good luck. I am sorry it is not better news but it sounds like your doctor is pretty confident that this can help you.

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2008, 18:20

Good Luck Nancy.. Keep us posted. That might be my next step too. Take care.. Patty

Postby Jen » 03 Jun 2008, 22:16

Nancy -
I am glad you and your doctor have a good plan. You have been in my thoughts all day. Keep us updated and GOOD LUCK with everything!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2008, 07:26

Thanks to all! Image

Postby val » 04 Jun 2008, 12:26

so sorry you have to go through all this. Best of luck!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2008, 13:28

Best of luck Nancy - I can't even imagine going through it all for the third time - but what has to be done- has to be done : ( ! I hope that third will be the charm for you and that you will soon be pain free forever Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 05 Jun 2008, 09:33

nancy i've also had 2 unsuccessful surgeries...although recently i found that it's just an anal wound (possibly from skin tag removal) that refuses to heal, not a real fissure. it just feels the same to me since everything is so connected down there i guess. i'd be weary of going in for a 3rd LIS too soon. there are lots of factors to consider, but the risks for incontinence will be significantly higher with 3 of these surgeries. i changed CRS's after my 2nd surgery, and the new one flat out told me 3 would be too many at this point.
please consider this carefully before you have another surgery to weaken your sphincter anymore. how long has it been since your first, and since your second? i had my 2 within 9 months of each other. if it had been a few years time between them, it would probably be a different story..
good luck!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36