So confused about spasms!?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

So confused about spasms!?

Postby Jen » 03 Aug 2008, 19:50

Hi everyone! :hi:
I talked about this on my LIS thread - but I wanted to know about everyone's opinions and expiriences with spasms.
Here is my situation...I never thought I had spasms before. I read about people having intence, painful spasms and I never really expirienced them. Anyways, when I have a BM, I pretty much have to go little by little, just pinching off a centemeter at a time (sorry for the TMI). I do this because it keeps the stool kind of small as it passes. If I don't do this, my sphincter "tences" up. It is not painful, just feels tence and small. However, if I take MOM or stool softeners, I don't have to deal with this at all. Also, periodically through out the day or every other day I can get pinching feelings and ocasionally a stabbing feeling down there.
When my doctor did my rectal exam he said there were spasms. I really thought he was crazy because I did not feel anything but some fissure pain. He told me he wishes there was couple butts that I could stick my finger in to feel the difference in spastic ones vs regular ones (he is so funny!). Does he know what he is talking about or is he crazy? When I put in my nitro cream, I don't think my bum feels spastic at all!
I just want to know everyone's opinion's and expiriences because sometimes I think LIS will be pointless for me because I don't have the painful spasms. I know Juney did not have them and she feels LIS did not help her.
Thanks in advance guys!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: So confused about spasms!?

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2008, 20:16

I didn't have spasms that I could feel (except for during my period) but I was helped by the cream. The cream and LIS not only help reduce spasms but they increase blood flow to the area so even if you don't think you have spasms the LIS or creams bring blood to the area to help heal. I think you need to trust your doctor when he says you have spasms though. He has put his finger in more butts than you. :)

I am curious. It seems like you are trying to come up with reasons why this won't work for you. Are you scared about the surgery and not wanting to have it now that you feel better or are you afraid that it won't work and you won't know what else to do?

I think even the people who weren't 100% cured by LIS still had some improvement. I guess if I were you and had a good response with the creams and my doctor thought it could end this madness I would do it. But I am to the point where I would probably do just about anything to end my pain.

Postby Jen » 03 Aug 2008, 20:39

Lecia -
Thanks for your input on spasms. It seams that some of us may not get them as strong as others for whatever reason. Image Image
It's not that I am scared of surgery, because it really does not scare me too much. I just want to make sure that it will be a good decision. I have read through all the post about LIS this weekend and it just seams, although my fissure is chronic - I am not suffering as much as others did. This maybe due to the fact that for the past 6 months I have been on creams. Don't get me wrong - I do not want to belittle my pain. I have had this for 18 horrible months and I do have occasional pain. I think my fissure is 80% healed. It just won't heal up to 100% despite my time and effort.
I think prior to LIS I am going to do something I am calling my "Nitro Challenge". I am going to stop taking it for up to a week prior to LIS, just so I can see if it rips again. I know this is dumb, but I want to see if it works.
I am calling for a LIS appointment tomorrow. I just hope I am doing the right thing. I need to trust in my doctor more - He has been really good to me. Image
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2008, 21:19

Yeah, I think the spasms must be an individual thing for sure. When I first joined I couldn't figure out what people meant by spasms and if I had them or not. My pain was from the cut itself.

I figure with this decision it's not like there is a risk of a really bad outcome if you have it and you could have healed on your own 6 months from now. I think it will probably save you some frustration and make your bottom less vulnerable to injury again. There is some evidence that a looser sphincter can help prevent hemorrhoids too. Not to sound like I am pushing you towards surgery but just based on what I've seen on the board it appears to be a very helpful procedure and people often mention that they wished they would have done it sooner.

Postby val » 04 Aug 2008, 01:00

when I first had my fissure, I googled eveyything about fissures and remember reading that some people will have spasms but not feel them. I was one of the unlucky ones who felt them very badly. Although you cant feel it, if it goes into spasm, then the fissure will never properly heal, and if it does there would be more chance of a retear because of the restricted blood flow. I was so glad after the LIS, I felt like I had a normal butt hole at last! I just wish id had it done sooner!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby lars » 04 Aug 2008, 03:52

Hi Jen
I to am terrified that LIS will not work. But in your situation you have nothing to fear. LIS will make the the area looser like the cream does but it is permanent. If I where you I would do it as soon as possible. My sphincter is in constant spasm thats why I have constant pain/discomfort...
lars
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2008, 06:40

Hey Jen
These spasms are confusing I know
When the doctor examined me he said the same thing I was spasming, but I didn’t feel like I was !
On a good day it is more of a tightness , On a bad day the whole area is clenched so tight, and it feel bruised inside :roll:
When I have a bad day I feel the spasms in a certain area very pinchy like it has locked tighter that’s when I have to move around or do my fissure dance ! Image
You CRS sounds very nice Jen ...
I do wonder if my/our fissure has been too chronic and that’s why the creams mask the pain for us ! I don’t know, but I will say again I think you are doing the right thing !
You are going to be just fine I know it, you have suffered to long, we both have
Now we must look forward right ??
Sending you a very bug hug
:truebud:

Postby Jen » 04 Aug 2008, 09:38

Thanks for everyone's input on the mysterious spasms. Espesially you Val - I am glad you are feeling well enough to type. I am praying for you! Image

I had some pain after a BM this morning - once again I could not tell if it was fissure pain or a spasm. It came about 20 minutes after my second BM and only lasted a couple minutes. My butt is a freakin' weirdo!!
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Aug 2008, 10:09

Did it burn or, clench, or ache, can you describe the feeling?
Deleted User 5

Postby Jen » 04 Aug 2008, 10:12

Kim -

It felt like a dull ache. The only time I have the clenching feeling is with regular sized BM's and I have burning with nitro at times.
Jen
King Fissure