Sad and Confused.. need help

what am i doing wrong?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Sad and Confused.. need help

Postby Wits End » 02 Jun 2017, 07:09

I'm new to the group and hoping someone may offer some insight as to what I'm experiencing. I've had a fissure since January. I immediately started taking Miralax and using hydrocortizone cream, but stopped the cream as I've read you're not supposed to use it for very long. I would say the fissure was annoying but not a really huge deal, just the usual frustration of why won't it go away.

I went to a colorectal doctor 3 weeks ago, and ever since I have been worse. She prescribed nifedipine/lidocaine and told me to use it 2x per day for at least 4 weeks even if it felt better, but it has felt nothing but worse ever since I went there. I don't think she did any damage with the exam. But now the sharpness is way worse, and it starts before I even sit to have the bowel movement. I'm using the ointment 2x per day, taking one/sometimes two hot baths per day, lots of water, mindful of fiber in my diet, and started taking Benefiber at her instruction. Has anyone experienced this -- getting worse after starting nifedipine? Every day I keep waiting for this to improve, even a little, but it's sharper every day. I can handle the sharpness on it's own even though it sucks, but I'm afraid that it's tearing every single time. It hasn't bled, so how do I know if it's retearing??

The doctor's office does not seem to see this as a big deal so they tend to just say... well, just keep doing what the doc said.. blah blah, but I'm really worried this is getting worse and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Wits End
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Sad and Confused.. need help

Postby Bum_UK » 02 Jun 2017, 10:02

I assume you keep using the Miralax to ensure your BMs are nice and soft and require no straining?
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Wits End » 02 Jun 2017, 10:11

Hi..yes, i am doing that. But i have added benefiber because doc recommended it. But im wondering if its bulking it up too much. She said it should expand the sphincter, making stool easier to pass. I can handle the pain, just afraid of doing further damage and i dont know how to tell if its retearing
Wits End
Fibre Addict

Postby Bum_UK » 02 Jun 2017, 10:19

I was in absolute agony during BMs for around a month after re-tearing but that didn't mean I re-tore every time I had a BM. I think anyway. The passing glass sensation doesn't necessarily mean you re-tear. I'd go off the Benefiber personally as it's better to keep things narrower (it is for me at least) rather than bulkier.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Wits End » 02 Jun 2017, 10:47

Ive been thinking the same thing.. thank you for that info. I thought maybe they recommended the benefiber so the sphincter doesnt get too lazy, but of course they are never good at elaborating on why it should physically help other than to say it bulks up the stool. No kidding, but is that necessarily a good thing
Wits End
Fibre Addict

Postby Raistlin » 10 Jun 2017, 02:04

I've been using nifedipine + lignocaine for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any improvement.

I read a study where 80% of participants using that had no pain after three weeks. Maybe we're the unlucky minority.
Raistlin

Topics: 1